Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb questions thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get out of the car and open the frunk
Passerby: Wow, how cool is that! Where is the engine?
Me: In the trunk (At the same time the kids pop the trunk where the passerby can see)
Passerby: It's powered by kids! No seriously, where is the engine?
Me: Under the kids
Passerby: Where is the gas tank then?
Me: Under the seats
Passerby: Wow, that's a thin gas tank
And then passerby passed on by

Before I read this thread I wondered why there seems to be some animosity toward Tesla owners. Thanks for demonstrating the likely reason.

:wink:

Perhaps the thread should be titled "Common questions about the Roadster, and EVs in general"? As a Tesla owner, I expect you've gotten a few yourself. But the Roadster is an unusual sight, moreso it seems than most "exotic" cars, and it seems to attract a bit more attention as a result. I do resist the temptation to give a "Here's your sign" response, however. (Ref to Bill Engval's signature bit..)

I'm 5' 4" and I get them too!

I'm 6'1" and "a little over" 200 lbs.

Had a guy at my work parking lot (I didn't know him) walk up to me, as I was walking through the parking lot, and just say out-of-the-blue "You know, if you'd lined up 10 guys and asked me who owned that car, I would never have picked you!"

On a different note, I let a co-worker take the car for a drive once (with me riding shotgun). I was giving her a quick pre-brief on how it's different than other cars that she's driven before. I told her "When you let off the accelerator pedal, the car will slow down". She looked at me with a don't-be-stupid look on her face and said "Greg, ALL cars slow down when you take your foot off the gas."

I'm not sure if what she said was "dumb", or what I said...but, it was funny!

On a different note, I let a co-worker take the car for a drive once (with me riding shotgun). I was giving her a quick pre-brief on how it's different than other cars that she's driven before. I told her "When you let off the accelerator pedal, the car will slow down". She looked at me with a don't-be-stupid look on her face and said "Greg, ALL cars slow down when you take your foot off the gas."
That made me laugh. [emoji3] Yes, ICE drivers think they know that their cars slow down when they take their foot off the "gas". What they don't realize, if they have not driven a BEV, is how gradually an ICE slows down.
So what I want to know is, the first time she took her foot off the Go pedal while driving your Roadster, did she say something like "Wow it really slows down!", because that has been my experience when letting someone drive my Teslas. And of course that was my reaction the first time I test drove a Model S, which was the first BEV I ever drove (it spoiled me forever, and resulted in my selling my ICE cars and buying Teslas within two years).

A co-worker from England really wanted a ride, but he was pretty broad and quite tall. I forget how tall. We had to take the top off, and even then it was a squeeze. I think my passenger seat hasn't been the same since. But, he really enjoyed the ride...

I keep getting asked "What do you do if you want to drive more than one passenger?"

Perhaps the best answer is, "The car is super advanced and has a rumble seat that allows for seating 5 adults and 2 kids."

I guess it never dawns on people that there are different cars with different seating arrangements for different requirements.

Best,

T

A co-worker from England really wanted a ride, but he was pretty broad and quite tall. I forget how tall. We had to take the top off, and even then it was a squeeze. I think my passenger seat hasn't been the same since. But, he really enjoyed the ride...

Tom Selleck was apparently so tall that he couldn't drive the "Magnum PI" Ferrari 308 with the top on.
So all his scenes were done in dry conditions...
ts1.png