Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Simultaneous Rear Handle Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone has had both of their rear door handles fail at the exact same time? If so, what was the cause? Happened on my March P85D. Tried screen reboots (both) and flickering on and off auto present, auto lock and child lock. Also pulled and reinserted fuse 40. Nothing gives. Got an appointment at the SC next week where they will no doubt fix it but I'm just curious in the meantime if anyone has experienced the same and if so, what was the bug. Can't believe the two handle assemblies would have failed precisely at the same time. Problem must be somewhere upstream, right?

Check to make sure all fuses are seated... I had an issue with my handles early on -- and sure enough, a few of the fuses were up slightly, including the handle ones. I pushed them all back in and haven't had any problems since.

I think if hold the scroll wheels for 30 seconds while holding the brake it reboots the car more completely but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks. I've searched a bit and have only found scroll wheel and upper buttons to be the way to reset but will try your trick.

Anyone else with knows if more throrough reboots are doable by the end user? What about erase and reset in settings?

Something similar just happened on a P85+ loaner (P51231), the handles on both driver's side doors have gone wonky in a way that rebooting doesn't help. The handles are either in when they should be out or when they're out they don't trigger the door release. The passenger's side handles were working and the driver's door releases normally from the inside.

Edited to add: FWIW, it's been raining here for the past several days.

Last edited:
Mine are currently intermittent, the drive door only will not present maybe once a week, the front passenger door presents, but is still "locked" pulling does not open door, interior handles work in each case to override. Scheduled for service, but not holding breath given it is an intermittent issue.

Mine are currently intermittent, the drive door only will not present maybe once a week, the front passenger door presents, but is still "locked" pulling does not open door, interior handles work in each case to override. Scheduled for service, but not holding breath given it is an intermittent issue.

Similar here. On occasion, my rear drivers side door handle comes out, but tugging on it does not release the door. When I let go, it "snaps" rapidly back into the door then slowly extends again. It usually works the second time. Service couldn't replicate and asked if I'd record a video. So I stand there like a dummy with my iPhone filming for about 10 attempts (separate occasions) and it works flawlessly. Guess what happens the very first time I try again without recording!?!

Anything new on this? I just bought a december '14 85 S and this morning I went to charge at the supercharger (on a trip) and thought i'd wash the windows. Hey! the left rear door handle wasn't presenting. went to the other side - same thing. Front works. Not due home for a week - would love to get it running!

Anything new on this? I just bought a december '14 85 S and this morning I went to charge at the supercharger (on a trip) and thought i'd wash the windows. Hey! the left rear door handle wasn't presenting. went to the other side - same thing. Front works. Not due home for a week - would love to get it running!
That's super odd because there is one controller for each side of the car. This would mean that two doors on two different control modules are malfunctioning. Any possibility it's related to child-locks? Or is this from the outside? Maybe there is a bug with childlocks?