Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is confusing. I see it as free installation plus the free iPhone 5/S lightning cable dock kit or the micro USB dock kit, if you don't get on the list. Perhaps installation will be free if not on the list (but the pricing is not worded that way) and I also doubt the dock kit will be free since in the Tesla store it reads: "optional iPhone-5 Lightning Phone Dock (sold separately)."

I don't find that wording confusing. Its laid out much better than the original email sent out in early Dec -- and clearly explains that wait-listers get the same price as the option would cost if ordered with a new car (which implies that the configurator site will be updated to add it as a factory option). It also gives what the "long-term" price will be -- basically $200 higher if you don't order while they are offering the wait-list price. Plus they'll throw in the lightning or micro USB dock now, which will be an additional cost item down the road.

I can see your confusion though -- looking just at the table without reading the text makes it seem that the extra $200 is for installation. The text makes it clear that the left column of the table will be the price if ordered with the car, while the right side is the price if you decide to add it after buying the car -- similar to how the dual chargers are more expensive if added after purchase...

It's interesting--before I got the car, I was certain I'd buy the center console the moment it was available. Now, though, having lived with it a few weeks, I am not so sure. I like being able to put small purchases there rather than on the floor, and the glove compartment and small cubby underneath the screen have enough space to hold the random crap I had in the center console of my other car.

Thanks Mike! Just saw this

"Pros: Looks very polished and "richer" than the open space

Cons: IPhone doc plug is too short to accommodate a case. Weird oversight, as I believe most of us have cases (?). So, essentially the doc is not useable to us.

No ambient lighting inside storage unit. Makes it impossible to see anything in there! Again - strange oversight.

There is a large space underneath the docking area that items easily slide back into - which is hidden and difficult to get to. My husband "lost" his phone in there and only after driving about a mile to the golf course where he assumed he left it, he heard the phone jostle about and realized it was in this 'hinterland"

There are curved inserts to accommodate cups. But, no straight ones to divide the large area. Hard to explain - have photos. But, this is an easy fix for Tesla. No need (IMO) for the additional cup holders, but much more practical for dividers."

For those who were added to the waiting list recently OR European customers as a whole: Don't expect to receive your center console in the near future.

I wrote to Tesla on order to find out what the status of my console is I received this reply:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. We have started delivering the first small batch of ten consoles to North American customers at the top of the waitlist. There are over 2100 customers on the waitlist and console production is ramping up slowly. We do not have the specifics on the console launch in Europe at this time. When the console supply has stabilized, the tentative plan is to ship the consoles in bulk to our European distribution facilities, and the waitlist will be used to establish priority. We are doing our best to make the consoles available to all of our customers. It will likely take several months to work through the waitlist and begin distribution of the console in Europe. We will continue to keep you updated as we progress and have more details for the console launch in Europe.

Regards,
Hugh

Several months in Elon time or Tesla time probably means no center console for me before may or May or even june. I am not happy to say the least. I am one of those guys who hate the open space with a passion. To me the car doesn't

feel complete when sitting in it without a center console.

At the moment my car is expected to be delivered at the end of february, but my gut feeling says (and I am willing to bet on this) I can be happy if my car arrives in April and I am pretty sureI won't have my center console when my car will be delivered.

Very disappointed...Also the location of the first supercharger here in Austria is in a weird location at the frontier to Liechtenstein. Those living in the capital like me who want to cross the country or go to germany have no fast charging possibilities. No news when some more superchargers will be deployed in more adequate locations either.

I may make some enemies here but in my opinion it still seems that european customers are 2nd class citizens for Tesla motors. Maybe some of you USA citizens can explain why somebody in the states who orders a P85+ today will probably get it in two months or under and guys like me who ordered by the end of August 2013 has to wait something like 8 months. Please be so kind all you guys who made deposits long before the car existed and waited 3 years- this is a total different matter. In my opinion the are pushing back production of older EU orders in order to quickly sell another P85+ to an american - and deliver the car in under 8 weeks.

Plus at the current exchange rate my car costs 157 056.-$ for a P85+, black,pano, tech, 21"grey alloys,parking sensors, sound package...Nice huh?

I love the company and Elon is an amazing entrepreneur... but I don't think that US and EU customers are treated equally. For example: If I am on the waiting list for the console BEFORE some US customer on the list I should receive the console before him. Now US customers are vastly prioritized by the simply fact that they live nearby. Now don't get me wrong for the actual car I have some understanding - there are true logistics involved. Shipping a foot long center console overseas? Thats a huge deal? They have to ship it in bulk? Are you kidding me?

Now I know the replies are gonna be how amazing the car car looks, feels ,handles and that once I drive it : all will be forgotten. Maybe you are right. Waiting is OK...but every wait has come to an end at some point! Just fantasizing about something for months on end- delivery dates being changed left and right, paying 40.000.- $ more than in the states - it ads up. I believe every one of you guys that the car itself is amazing and a true marvel. The company and they way they are doing business are pissing me off more and more.

TESLA will NOT be able to survive solely on US sales. Only if EU sales pick up (also for Model X) will the company be viable in the long run. And waiting 8 months for a car that has been in production for like 18 months: Simply unacceptable.

Ok now you can start to crucify me
:scared: . I am a big boy. I can take it. :wink:

may make some enemies here but in my opinion it still seems that european customers are 2nd class citizens for Tesla motors. Maybe some of you USA citizens can explain why somebody in the states who orders a P85+ today will probably get it in two months or under and guys like me who ordered by the end of August 2013 has to wait something like 8 months. Please be so kind all you guys who made deposits long before the car existed and waited 3 years- this is a total different matter. In my opinion the are pushing back production of older EU orders in order to quickly sell another P85+ to an american - and deliver the car in under 8 weeks.

1. It's no secret Tesla makes the cars in batches, so some of the delay depends on when they are running an EU batch. There was a fair amount of angst among the early Tesla purchasers when someone who ordered later got their car first.

2. My assumption is that shipping a bunch of cars in one shot is cheaper than shipping them one at a time.

3. In the beginning there was quite a bit of hold up because the suppliers either didn't actually ramp up to make the parts or the parts didn't meet quality standards. I'd imagine that the EU cars will have some similar issues although it shouldn't be as bad as the earlier Model S where the parts suppliers didn't think that Tesla would sell more cars than Fisker, so they didn't even bother to increase production.

4. The U.S. cars have the supply chain mostly worked out now so getting parts to build a car isn't a problem

@leonari

What can I say. Life is unfair. I have a feeling though that when it comes to at least your work situation and material belongings; then you are probably doing pretty good. No?

Go back to whatever reason(s) you had when you ordered the car, and hold on to them. Now all you can do is accept the new timeframe. Perhaps you can try and focus on other things than the new car you're waiting for, and hopefully you’ll be able to pick it up in a warm and sunny Vienna before you know it. Did it help? :wink:

And then I thought that maybe this post from Eumox, also in Austria, and who has a car could be instrumental:

From What it's all about - Page 10 (Post #98):

I always wanted to contribute to this thread. So finally: my 16 month old daughter driving on Austrian roads
austrian_copy.jpg

Hey I am one of the guys that waited close to two years for my car, and I still don't have a Supercharger within range of my house, though that will change in the next few days.

Totally understand your frustration on waiting that long for a car that is in production. All I can tell you is to have a little more patience, and the actual experience with the car will vastly outweigh any of this temporary angst. It really is that good. Good? Amazing. Transformational. Exhilarating. Convenient. Spacious. Gorgeous. Safe. Disruptive. Brilliant.

Really.

Last edited:
Thanks JakeP!

Your impressive list of adjectives gives me hope and the strength to hang in there...and who knows? Maybe a miracle happens and my car goes into production next week and will make it to arrive by late february-early march. I don't think so ,but hey even I can be optimistic for once ;-)

Actually I just want a reliable date for delivery. If it's gonna be April it's gonna be april, but at least by now they should be able to give me a delivery date that they stick to.

I just hope this is goes on only for the early adopters cause once they overcome the beginning hurdles any delivery time over 4 months will not be accepted by a huge portion of potential Model S customers here in Europe.

I am also a stock owner so I am worried about the company as a whole (and my cash ;-) )

I CAN NOT BELIEVE MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared::smile::biggrin:

My car is in production since today!!!

I think delivery by the end of february is still possible!

Maybe somebody at Tesla really reads these forums... Just yesterday I vented my anger about the delivery date changes and today the car is in Prodution

I've grown to like the open space, but I would like the cupholders that aren't in the arm rests and the covered storage so I don't have to put things in the trunk all the time. However, I think what it'll really boil down to is how it supports my leg. I rest my right leg against the console when I drive and it basically rests against the corner that exists now which is uncomfortable. I have a hard time on long drives with leg ache in heavy traffic (i.e. I can't use cruse control).

If the center console gives my leg more surface area to rest on, I'll buy it.