Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving the Maritime Provinces and Newfoundland in an S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 7:

It's Canada day! What could possibly go wrong?

The St. Christopher's EVSE worked great, and to give the car a bit of a break I only charged to 90%. Most of the day was spent on the ferry back to North Sydney, and I was only driving to Antigonish where I knew there was a working charger. Since it's Canada day, I called the hotel to make sure it was powered on. They said it was, and implied it would be left that way. My drive was only 200 km, so I hadn't expected any issues.

The ferry crossing had Bell data service for all but an hour in the middle.

So I get to the hotel, plug in, and it seems to be OK. But, after a minute or so the car stops and indicates there is a charger cable problem. To be honest, I'm not all that surprised because last week this EVSE had water pouring all over it. I tried reconnecting, but the behavior continued. So, I called the number on the side of the Sun Country unit, and got a text back within about five minutes. That was awesome, and totally unexpected. We exchanged a few texts, and based on that I talked the lady at the desk into letting me cycle the breaker. It didn't change the behavior.

So, here's what is going on. It's behavior I've never seen before. The EVSE is connected to the car, the car port turns blue, then flashing green as normal. The dashboard shows 215V and after an unusually long amount of time starts ramping up the current. After a few seconds to a few minutes the charging suddenly stops. Sometimes it simply says "charging stopped", then "charging will start momentarily". Other times it complains that the charge cable is bad and that I should "try another cable". When it does that, is seems to stay off for quite a length of time, and the Sun Country unit flashes for a while. Eventually it starts up again. Other things to note are the voltage is good, and hardly drops as the current ramps, and that I tried limiting the current to 20A and that made no difference. The EVSE connections look OK -- not corroded, for example -- and they're dry.

Now, the idea of the car cycling like this all night bothered me, so I called Tesla service. They said it sounded like and EVSE problem and that it wouldn't harm the car to let it keep cycling charging. I'm now trying to judge the duty cycle, and whether this is faster than just leaving it plugged into an adjacent 120V outlet.

There's probably someone reading this who has an understanding of the EVSE protocol, and might be able to explain what is going on. I'm guessing there is some kind of handshake where the car and the charger verify with each other the allowed current, and some of those messages are not getting through. Alternatively it could be the EVSE itself occasionally stops providing current, after all it starts blinking.

This may not be too big a problem. The car has 190km of range now, and there should be multiple chargers and RV parks closer than that on PEI. But I'm starting to lose count of the different ways Sun Country EVSEs have failed. It's probably prudent to not count on them at all.

While I was mucking about with the car Antigonish had a great fireworks display.

We'll I like tesla, and love Newfoundland, and love driving across the rock the topography is beautiful. Your trip however sounds a bit frustrating. With two little kids under 3, road trips are not what they used to be. Often you do not get to choose when to stop but are forced to...crying, poo, vomit etc. Packing for a family vacation takes enough planning, without planning on when to charge and phoning places ahead. In my mind this is still THE major drawback for EV s. With the x being targeted as a family car there could be a lot more posts like this coming yet a lot more negative. Personally! Although I probably am in the minority on this forum, I cannot wait for full on battery swap, and also dig BMW s idead of getting a few weekends per year of ICE driving or whatever it is free when you buy an EV. I could swap with friends...but rather go through the dealership in case issues arose ( not advocating dealerships). Thanks for sharing your story's...the question now is how fast the landscape will change?

Please don't get the impression this trip is something I regret taking. It has been great. While it's true the charging challenges have consumed much of my "recreational" time, I've never been at risk of getting stranded, and the car is so special I actually like working these problems. Not having access to business hosted EVSEs on the weekend was a bummer, that ought to be corrected, and nobody could plan on a power outage in Deer Lake. The most important thing to do, especially with the state of the network today, is to always have some redundancy in your travel plans. It's not perfect, but it will help. (With the St. John's -> Grand Falls I thought I had triple redundancy with THREE EVSEs, but all failed to deliver). Today has gobs of redundancy.

The guys at Sun Country have been super responsive. They couldn't do anything for me last night, but it's clear they are working hard to make this network a success. I think it is fair to assume these problems are simply growing pains. Newfoundland isn't ready for carefree EV travel, but it's probably pretty close.

Consider as a model for how it ought to be done Tesla's own supercharger network. It's not just that they're fast, they do so many other things right:

-- They're never turned off
-- They're well located, most with multiple things to do while waiting
-- They're on important travel corridors
-- You don't need any credit card, RFID card, or app to enable them
-- There's always more than one
-- They are very distinct, and unlikely to get ICEd
-- They communicate in real time with the provider. (I'm guessing on this one)...-- and they are used frequently, so if something goes wrong Tesla finds out quick

I know Tesla has a unique business model, but some of these characteristics could be adopted by others.

Day 8:

This was a good day. It turned out the Sun Country EVSE duty cycle wasn't good enough to justify leaving it charging that way, so I switched to the Tesla's 120V cord. That resulted in just 40km being added overnight, but there were some choices of where to charge on the way to PEI. By the time I left Antigonish it was clear I would arrive at the ferry at a bad time, requiring more than an hour wait, so I diverted to the bridge route along the coastal road. There was a monster crosswind blowing, but it didn't impact the car's range much. The speed limit on these roads is 80 kph, and it's easy to do much better than rated efficiency.

There were TWO EVSEs in Tatamagouche, east of Pugwash (NS has great town names), both Nissan units, and both worked. One is at a library and the other at a pub. I only stuck around long enough to check that they work and update plugshare with their voltage. In this town the pub has 240V while the library has 208V, so you're clearly much better off spending time at the pub!

The next stop was the nature center at the south end of the Confederation Bridge, a good place for lunch and a hike. The EVSE is in a strange place, requiring you to drive across some grass and a pedestrian trail, but it works. This is a Sun Country unit that works, although only 208V and 30A.

I finally arrived in Summerland, PEI. This town must have more EVSEs per capita than any other place on the planet, almost all along one road. Because I took a circuitous route into town, I checked all of them along the road before ending up at the Quality Inn, where there are three. They're all Sun Country, and they all work. And, for the first time, I encountered an EVSE that will just about deliver the full 20 kW a dual charger Tesla can consume. To do that it must provide 80A at 240V. I said earlier I somewhat regret not getting dual chargers. Now I do regret it!

This is probably the last post for my trip report. Driving around PEI should be easy, and the trip back to Maine will mostly be backtracking. The charging infrastructure is much better.

Thanks everyone for following along!

Good to hear things are looking up!

Tesla Superchargers are definitely the gold standard for any charging network. The problem other networks face stem from them trying to make a profit from their stations (thus the RFID cards, reduced hours of operation, and no redundancy). SCH was fairly unique in that it only suffered from the latter. Although, I've heard that charging policy is turned over to the site host (hotel, restaurant, etc) after one year so they may soon suffer from all the other networks' drawbacks.

I believe you mean Summerside, PEI. It does indeed have the most EVSE's per-captia in Canada (perhaps anywhere) due to a deal made with SCH last year where they purchased EVSEs in exchange for wind power credits.

I'm catching up with this pretty late after making my own trip to Maine, and never going beyond range of E Greenwich, it was trivially easy. But I am determined to do St. John's someday, so thanks so much for the travelogue. I hope Sun Country can get their act together in a year or two and a better solution can be found to connectivity issues...

Congrats and best regards!

Thanks for the great write up and congrats on making it to St John's. As a Texan, you should know that St John's is closer to London than it is to Dallas!

I guess the next challenge in that neck of the woods is to make it to Goose Bay. However, charging options look pretty thin that way for now... Even as poorly as the availability was, I am very impressed that Sun Country Highway has made it to St John's. I guess they had to cover all of the Trans Canada Highway. Has anyone done the Trans Canada Highway from St John's to Vancouver in a Model S? From Trans-Canada Highway - Wikipedia, it looks like it has already been done in a Roadster.

We'll, I'd like to ensure no one is discouraged from getting to St. John's in their Tesla, so please look me up if you head this way and need a charge. While it will be a couple of months before my connections are done for my upcoming Model X, I'm sure I can make something work in the interim.

Leafarmer, thanks for a great write up. Sorry I missed you on this visit.

Jon

Thank you leafarmer for reporting on your adventure. While I now live in Vancouver, I grew up in Nova Scotia and thanks to your reporting I felt like I took the trip with you as I visualized the communities you visited. I look forward to the day I can head "home" to N.S. from Vancouver in my model S. :)

Many thanks leafarmer, thoroughly enjoyed your groundbreaking journey through Nova Scotia & Newfoundland. A poignant reminder of our most enjoyable visit there in 2006. Tesla release here in Oz still to come. A recent test drive didn't change our minds ! S85 Sig. due September, we hope.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I update you on the state of Sun Country chargers in NL as Leafarmer did not have much luck when he drove across the island about 1.5 months ago. We are doing a trip from St. John's to Burlington, NL.

The sun country charger in Clarenville at the Hickman dealership is now working. We called ahead to make sure it was on but also came during operational hours to be double sure. Got here and works great. CS-90 70 amp but only 190 V giving us 65 km/hr. Not sure why the voltage was so low? Were hoping for 75 km/hr. Anyways we talked to the dealership owner as well and he assured us that the charger would remain on from now on.

We arrived in Gander about 30 mins ago and are now charging at the Hickman sun country charger here. Also CS-90 70 Amp but now 203 V for 69 km/hr of charge. Any ideas on why this is less than the standard 220 or 240V?

We are going to stay here for about 2.5 hours and then continue on to Burlington on the Baie Vert Peninsula. We have family out there and arranged for them to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in their garage at our cost. We thought it was a good investment as we will be visiting here quite often.

Here are some pictures of the charging locations and charge rates.

IMG_1715.jpg
Charging in Clarenville

IMG_1716.jpg
Almost ICE'd. Old school meets new school.
IMG_1719.jpg
Charging in Gander.

Also CS-90 70 Amp but now 203 V for 69 km/hr of charge. Any ideas on why this is less than the standard 220 or 240V?

Most commercial sites in the USA and Canada are on 208 Volts. 203v is actually decent once you take into account losses between the electric panel and the station's pistol.

190v is definitely low. I find the Model S gets nervous about there being an electrical problem when the voltage is that low and will often cut the amps by 20%, to 52a in this case. At least you avoided that.