Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver-side door handle won't retract...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read lots of posts about issues with door handles failing to present and requiring replacement. I seem to have a different issue on my 2017 Model S. The driver's door handle won't retract most of the time. I can hear the motor spinning but the handle doesn't move. If I then push on it, it suddenly retracts. I have a service appointment already scheduled at the end of the month, but I wonder if I need to try and have mobile service address this sooner? I really don't want to be locked out if the handle fails altogether.

Paddle gear is broken or is about to break common issue with what you described.

Mobile tech can replace for you. They did this for me about a month ago

same for me. Mobile came out sooner.

however even if your door completely stops working you won’t be locked out. You can still open the door from the inside without issue. Inconvenient. SO VERY MUCH. but not a lock out.

Or what I did for the time being until mobile came out is take any type of plastic card like a credit card and then use it to pull out the handle so you can grip it. Then just tie a shoe string or anything around the handle allowing you to pull the handle out. Looks ugly but better than going around the other side of the car and then opening the door.

• Helpful
Reactions: TripleTrucker