Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drafty Cabin - Report issues here please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, guys.

I just informed them this evening. They're on it and will get back to me. Hopefully the sticker fix is the issue and can be corrected. But I think the wind noise (I wasn't getting any before) may indicate a bit of a window adjustment is needed as well.

New car had some loose chrome trim as well, and a crazy spot on the windshield that makes it seem like I'm looking through a magnifying glass as I drive (quite nauseating). Not sure if they can fix that. Otherwise, things look good and seem in order!

Damn. Sorry to hear it.

Have they applied the "sticker" fix yet that successfully corrected the problem for mknox and Forty Creek?

Take a non-scratching straight edge and lay it along the joint between the triangle and the main window. Mine had a lip of just a few mm where the main window protruded beyond the triangle, making an incredible amount of noise for such a tiny gap. Once that was was made flush, the noise disappeared.

Is you windshield distortion down at the very bottom? I have that also, and it has been reported by others. I find that I never see it as long as I don't look down at my own hood.

Ugh. Just heard from Tesla. I shot a photo of my triangular window after washing the car today because water shot into the car and was leaking down the window, probably where the wind noise is coming in (and the draft?).

Their response? See if I want them to buy my car back and be done with the entire process :-( They said it was strange - they had never heard of others having a draft before.

I told them that I obviously love the car, the idea behind the car, and simply want to work to ensure things get corrected. Seems to me this should be a relatively easy fix.

Frustrated...but still believing...

A.

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Same here, DougG. Car had gotten very noisy after an adjustment the did for the draft, but now it is quieter than it ever was for the first year I owned it. And I mean a dead silent kind of quiet.

Me too. I think they have some modified door seals or something. At my first service visit, they adjusted the little window for a trickle of water I was getting and (unrelated) upgraded my door handles. After that, I was getting wind noise somewhere inside the door panels themselves. When I took it back, they replaced and re-aligned a bunch of door seals and it is dead quite now.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh. Just heard from Tesla. I shot a photo of my triangular window after washing the car today because water shot into the car and was leaking down the window, probably where the wind noise is coming in (and the draft?).

I had a trickle of water at the car wash like that when my car was new. The SC adjusted the windows and window weatherstripping and it fixed it right up. Frameless glass windows are never going to be as good as framed ones, but since mine was adjusted, it's been fine.

Thanks.
Haven't heard from them about window correction at all. I'm anticipating that they just want to do away with me and forget the problem all together :-(

Will update when I have more info...

Me too. I think they have some modified door seals or something. At my first service visit, they adjusted the little window for a trickle of water I was getting and (unrelated) upgraded my door handles. After that, I was getting wind noise somewhere inside the door panels themselves. When I took it back, they replaced and re-aligned a bunch of door seals and it is dead quite now.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a trickle of water at the car wash like that when my car was new. The SC adjusted the windows and window weatherstripping and it fixed it right up. Frameless glass windows are never going to be as good as framed ones, but since mine was adjusted, it's been fine.

For what it's worth, I too have felt the draft from the triangle area and the footwell. It's not horrible, but certainly worse than any of my previous vehicles (with the exception of my Jeep TJ).

I think reading about it here prepared me for the worst.

Very true.
When I was down south a few weeks ago (and with the old car), my pano-roof got wedged open on one side, and sealed down on the other side. The ranger that came to fix things up told he he just returned from Norway, where he was helping out the team there for 3 or 4 weeks. He said he worked on a lot of drafty windows, and each and every window involved a different fix. Strange, but understandable. I'm sure the work was similar, but different techniques had to be used for different areas where the draft is present.

Car is heading back to service this week to fix things up. At least it's the only issue now - with the last car, things just kept creeping up one after the other!

I think that this thread proves that it's not that simple. mcfadyena even had a new car built (to solve this and other problems)!

I will let them know, however.

Quick Update.

MY DRAFT IS FIXED. Well - almost. It's leaking a tad bit of air, but this is the best it's been. Ever. In both cars I've owned.

Tesla took the car in for approx. 1 week to work on things. I had sent them a photo of the temperature dropping 12 degrees between the centre of the car and the triangular window where the air was blasting in. The spent the majority of each day working on the draft, testing, reporting back to HQ, reworking, repeat. I've never felt my car without a draft, and it's been great to drive.

Toronto told me that HQ is hoping to have a full fix for all drafts before the winter.

Thanks to everyone here for helping, suggesting, supporting, as we've tracked this issue.

Awesome.

My wife believes the triangular windows simply need to go. They are problematic, but look great!
I hope the fix works for the time being, and the permanent fix makes this all a thing of the past.

Great news! Look forward to a standard fix from Tesla for next winter! They just replaced my triangle windows and they seem better but will have to wait for -20C next winter to fully test.