Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't fully charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People that need the range or aren't overly concerned charge to about 90%.

Those who need less but want more available tend to charge to 80%. There's some overlap in this group for those concerned about battery health.

Then there's the crazy group that charges in the 50-70% range for maximum health at the cost of convenience.

Some people also change it up. We use 90% in Winter, 80% in Summer, and 40-70% in the middle of pandemics.

That should cover most people's usage on this forum.

And the car makes this really clear, too. When you pull up the charging screen in the car, it will show the place where you can set the charge limit. 50% to 90% is marked as DAILY, and 90% to 100% is marked as TRIPS. If you use that Trips area for a few days in a row, the car will display a warning to you that it's not a good idea to use that really often.

So pick a place for your daily level that's comfortable for you. More toward the middle is healthier for less battery degradation long term, but you want it high enough that you have enough range to make the car practical for you.

This brings me to a small gripe. The Tesla Model 3 SR+ is listed as a 250 mile range. But a 90% charge gives me a 225 mile range, right? If Tesla tells me not to charge above 90% many times, then isn't the range really 225, and not 250?
I'm going to switch the analogy for you, so you can see this better.
A gas car advertises what its top speed is or top RPM level is. They advise you, though, to not use that all the time, because it is hard on the engine, and may prematurely damage it.

So are they forbidden from advertising that the car can do that top speed, just because they advise you that using it often is not good for the car?

I'm not making that example up, by the way. I heard about this example in these forums from Porsche owners. Porsche had detectors built into the car to keep an eye on how many times people were going over red line, and when it was "too many times", and people blew engines, Porsche fought it as outside of warranty, and there were law suits, etc.

A gas car advertises what its top speed is or top RPM level is. They advise you, though, to not use that all the time, because it is hard on the engine, and may prematurely damage it.

So are they forbidden from advertising that the car can do that top speed, just because they advise you that using it often is not good for the car?

I'm not making that example up, by the way. I heard about this example in these forums from Porsche owners. Porsche had detectors built into the car to keep an eye on how many times people were going over red line, and when it was "too many times", and people blew engines, Porsche fought it as outside of warranty, and there were law suits, etc.

Great analogy, especially since I'd put big money on there being a "100% charge" counter on Teslas.

That said, max range is a bit more applicable to common, legal, and safe road use than redlining a performance car.

I hope Tesla didn't install any such sensors, because I floor it all the time! :D

Congrats!

It is OK to charge to 100% if you intend to use it immediately - just don't leave the car in that state for extended period of time.

For daily use, pick a value between 20-90% and don't worry too much about it.

The concept of leaving it at the 100% state of charge for as little time as possible is an important one. If you're taking a trip the next day, don't get home at night and have it topped off at 100 by midnight. Time it for when you leave.

People that need the range or aren't overly concerned charge to about 90%.

Those who need less but want more available tend to charge to 80%. There's some overlap in this group for those concerned about battery health.

Then there's the crazy group that charges in the 50-70% range for maximum health at the cost of convenience.

Some people also change it up. We use 90% in Winter, 80% in Summer, and 40-70% in the middle of pandemics.

That should cover most people's usage on this forum.
"40-70% in the middle of pandemics."

Uhm, that's "crazy"! I have it on good authority that you are a member of a "crazy group that charges in the 50-70% range"

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and lUtriaNt
I was also wondering for performance reasons. I keep reading that the higher the SOC, the better the performance. I'm one of those ppl that likes to have the max possible performance as often as I can.
Performance equates to battery voltage. Higher voltage = more power = more theoretical performance.

Batteries are at their highest voltage when fully charged. However, the drop off is not linear - a 90% charged cell has only slightly lower voltage than an 80% charged cell.