Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DOME Lights: Not LED?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still lusting after the ultra-bright blue-ish tint dome light replacement. I was on that kick with my 70D with the black interior, but finally let it go. Now, I have a 75D with white interior. The yellow lights make it feel like the seats are yellow instead of white. I'd much rather have white lights. I'm still on the quest. Has anyone found a (cost-effective) solution?

My 2012 has the white lights and my two 2015s have the yellow lights. I hate the yellow lights. The 2012 lighting is so much better.

Has anyone successfully pulled the lights out of the roof? It should be easy to swap the LEDs out, but the fact that nobody has a solution in 3 years makes it seem like maybe not...

FWIW, my driver white LED dome light was inoperable and I asked for it to be replaced during a service visit. The SA warned both domw lights might need to be replaced with the yellow lights since Tesla has obviously switched over and no longer sources the white light. Luckily, they had an extra white one lying around and I avoided getting yucky yellow lights up front.

but the fact that nobody has a solution in 3 years makes it seem like maybe not...

This is more likely that those with yellow, the skillset to change it themselves, and energy/drive to do so, and the desire to do so while still under warranty is pretty low. While there are definitely "yellow-light" cars out-of-warranty, the majority of them are still in-warranty. That could lead to most people just ignoring them for now, as much as they may hate them.

FWIW, my driver white LED dome light was inoperable and I asked for it to be replaced during a service visit. The SA warned both domw lights might need to be replaced with the yellow lights since Tesla has obviously switched over and no longer sources the white light. Luckily, they had an extra white one lying around and I avoided getting yucky yellow lights up front.

Lucky.

So does anyone know how to get those out without tearing apart the head liner? If the SC can do it, it must be possible?
For the rear ones, you have to pop off the trim ring, lower the headliner in that area, and then remove the light module. The front ones are one big unit. You have to remove the center microphone cover, the trim rings, the sunvisors and visor clips, lower the A pillar covers and then you can pop the front of the headliner down far enough to remove the housing.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
I have a good system for tinting the dome led's, especially if you want them warmer. Someone here posted about Gallery Glass Window color. It is a liquid than dries into a material similar to vinyl. I also found a near perfect hole punch to make the right size disc so you can just apply the vinyl circles to the existing lights. When you mix this color you want to use about a quarter size amount of the clear and just two drops of the orange poured onto a Gallery Glass leading blanks (you could probably do this on any non-porous surface too). Keep it a very, very pale orange, it gets much darker when it dries and is perfectly clear. Thin it out to a 3 x 3 or so square using a pin scraped across the liquid in rows. After a full pass, change the direction you drag the pin in. I also found waving the sheet around a bit helps to get a smooth material thickness. Let dry overnight. Here is an image of what the a finished tint looks like: imgur picture of dome led tinted to warm.

Plaid Gallery Glass Window Color (Orange):
https://smile.amazon.com/Gallery-Glass-Window-2oz-Pumpkin-Orange/dp/B00QAB06X4/

Plaid Gallery Glass Window Color (Clear):
https://smile.amazon.com/Gallery-Glass-Window-16081-Crystal/dp/B004QTZ95W/

Gallery Glass leading blanks:
https://smile.amazon.com/Gallery-Glass-Leading-Blanks-Pkg/dp/B003XLQZ2U/

3/4" hole puncher (put the vinyl tint on top of paper when you punch):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090JVBP0/

Last edited:
For the rear ones, you have to pop off the trim ring, lower the headliner in that area, and then remove the light module. The front ones are one big unit. You have to remove the center microphone cover, the trim rings, the sunvisors and visor clips, lower the A pillar covers and then you can pop the front of the headliner down far enough to remove the housing.
I did the rear, not so easy to pop off the trim. They are pressure clips. You can make a tool to do it (about a 7/8" square removed from the center of credit card, then cut the whole credit card in half). You can also pry, but I scratched my headliner a tiny bit doing that. Than I gave up because the front didn't look so easy. I tinted instead, see my other post.

Last edited:
Hi Folks - I have a quick question about our Dome lights.

I picked up my car (12/3/14) last week and love everything about it except for one thing, the DOME lights. I was expecting that the DOME lights would be a bright white LED. Instead, I got a yellow colored bulb. It might be LED too but who knows. :crying:

Did anyone of you get the same thing? and if so, did you guys ask if this can be replaced or did you have to buy an aftermarket LED bulb for our dome light? If yes, can you please share info?

Thank you in advance.

Here's what Im talking about. Not a happy camper... :crying:

View attachment 65530View attachment 65531View attachment 65532View attachment 65533

I spotted the same thing on my 2017 MS and thought it was a bit odd to have non-led or a yellow color led. White would look much better.