Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dogs can open the car in Dog Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sandollars

I bleed Cardinal
Feb 19, 2018
So Cal/So UT
I don’t post much on here but felt compelled to let you all know an issue I had today. I stopped at the market with my dogs in the car. They are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Today, I am dog sitting my son’s Aussie who is not much heavier but I guess just enough. Read on. I left the dogs in the car with dog mode on as usual. My son’s dog is a rescue and a little psycho. He is yapping up a storm and running all over the car. Apparently, he stepped on the “open Door” button and the door opened. He jumped out and took off!
WTH? Why on earth would that button not be inactive in Dog mode? Surely this is not a one-off experience. It’s a 2023 MXP.

Anyone else had an experience like this?

I don’t post much on here but felt compelled to let you all know an issue I had today. I stopped at the market with my dogs in the car. They are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Today, I am dog sitting my son’s Aussie who is not much heavier but I guess just enough. Read on. I left the dogs in the car with dog mode on as usual. My son’s dog is a rescue and a little psycho. He is yapping up a storm and running all over the car. Apparently, he stepped on the “open Door” button and the door opened. He jumped out and took off!
WTH? Why on earth would that button not be inactive in Dog mode? Surely this is not a one-off experience. It’s a 2023 MXP.

Anyone else had an experience like this?
I’m assuming no one thought of this since dog mode is for climate, not keeping dogs inside. Guess you need to activate child locks?

I’m assuming no one thought of this since dog mode is for climate, not keeping dogs inside. Guess you need to activate child locks?
Child locks wouldn't lock the front doors, and dog mode disables the alarm, but I can imagine nobody else ever experiencing this, because it might only be a problem in a refresh X (AFAIK, nothing else has door buttons AND opens the doors automatically, so the dog in any other vehicle would still be in the car with the door unlatched unless they pushed it open).

Reactions: Sandollars
This is similar to the "open trunk" button inside trunk in the old 7-seater Model S... Yes the button works while driving, within reach of toddlers sitting in the rear facing seats.. 😳

Don't ask me how I know. :)

I have the good fortune of having both FSD and a dog that sounds rather like Skooby-Doo. Once when I was in a store, my dog must have barked something that sounded like 'ravigate to ricdonalds' ...and there I was chasing my car down the street as he and the kittens went through the drive-thru. (It wasn't all bad though. They did pick me up an ice cream and along the way, happened to unmask a carnival operator who was trying to scare some of my friends away from a warehouse by the docks). He mumbled something about 'meddling kids' but went on to say how much he liked the car. ...Ok, this didn't happen. But imagine if FSD really worked? That would be awesome.

• Funny
Reactions: Beasts
My dogs know how to roll down the windows so it was a constant struggle driving around town and on the highway in the front seat. I found a 3D print plan online for a part for tesla that block the button from being pressed that works well. Until recently dog mode would still allow the front windows to be rolled down since there are no child locks but tesla released an update to address this. Maybe they’ll eventually make an update for this too?