Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y trunk accidentally opened while driving with dogs in back.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. New here. We purchased a 3 last year and loved it so much, we ended up getting a Y too. My wife was driving the Y about 20 miles away from home on the highway with my son and our two dogs, who were in the back. I went down to the garage to throw something in the trunk of our 3. I didn't have my glasses on and didn't realize I was in the Y controls in the app (you can swipe left or right for your different vehicles if you have more than one). I pushed the open trunk button, and when the trunk didn't open, I quickly realized I had pushed the button for the car my wife was driving. I quickly closed it and called my son in a panic. He confirmed the trunk opened while they were driving. Luckily the dogs were ok and didn't jump out or anything before the trunk closed. Why would the trunk be allowed to be opened while driving (or even if the car was in drive)? This seems incredibly dangerous to me. Is there a setting that can keep the trunk from opening while in drive?

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Hi. New here. We purchased a 3 last year and loved it so much, we ended up getting a Y too. My wife was driving the Y about 20 miles away from home on the highway with my son and our two dogs, who were in the back. I went down to the garage to throw something in the trunk of our 3. I didn't have my glasses on and didn't realize I was in the Y controls in the app (you can swipe left or right for your different vehicles if you have more than one). I pushed the open trunk button, and when the trunk didn't open, I quickly realized I had pushed the button for the car my wife was driving. I quickly closed it and called my son in a panic. He confirmed the trunk opened while they were driving. Luckily the dogs were ok and didn't jump out or anything before the trunk closed. Why would the trunk be allowed to be opened while driving (or even if the car was in drive)? This seems incredibly dangerous to me. Is there a setting that can keep the trunk from opening while in drive?
I too had accidentally opened the trunk (using the app) on our Model 3 while my son is driving in the highway, thinking I was opening my Model Y’s trunk. Good thing it did not open remotely in my case.

Not sure if the “drive away locking” feature prevents the trunk to be opened/closed. It should.

Drive Away Locking​

Model Y automatically locks all doors (including the trunks) when your driving speed exceeds 5 mph (8 km/h).

They should just disable opening/closing via the app or at all if the car was moving just like how the frunk can’t be opened while the car is in motion.

Last edited: