Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does you HPWC start even when it is not the set time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi,

My car is set to start charging at 1 AM. However, I noticed ever once in awhile, when I plug in my HPWC in the middle of the day my HPWC will start charging immediately. It does not run for long, because if I check 10 minutes later the car is NOT charging. It is just strange.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Hi,

My car is set to start charging at 1 AM. However, I noticed ever once in awhile, when I plug in my HPWC in the middle of the day my HPWC will start charging immediately. It does not run for long, because if I check 10 minutes later the car is NOT charging. It is just strange.

Anyone else see this behavior?
If you are in the car and the HVAC is running then it will draw power from the HPWC. It will also draw power if you are standing there with the door open watching to see if it will draw power.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Yes, it has happened to me every so often over the 6 years I owned my Model S. It runs for a couple of minutes immediately after plugging it in. Since I had just finished driving I figure it was some kind of brief conditioning. Never worried about it and never caused any issues.

Yes, it has happened to me every so often over the 6 years I owned my Model S. It runs for a couple of minutes immediately after plugging it in. Since I had just finished driving I figure it was some kind of brief conditioning. Never worried about it and never caused any issues.

Thanks. That describes the behavior. I guess I will just watch it and see what happens. It is more of an oddity than an issue.

This is normal behaviour. The car checks if the charging station is communicating OK and closes the relay to check what kind of voltage is available and IF there is any voltage available.
And if your car is "on" (any doors open or MCU is active), the car will use shore power from the charging station if available.

Reactions: Big Earl