Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does changing to chill or standard acceleration impact driving in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to go fast in Reverse. This is more of a safety consideration which was raised by my wife yesterday.
Today I drove our model Y in reverse in both Chill and Standard and couldn't tell the difference between them (in reverse).

Back in the day I did an EV conversion on a vehicle. I left the transmission installed. Reverse was geared down lower than first which proved a little problematic, as it was difficult to go in reverse without burning a little rubber. So I installed a chill mode switch which reduced motor output to 25% of full power. This was a great solution.

My preference would be that Reverse has one acceleration curve optimized for safety.
At the end of the day, I am not sure what to tell my wife, because she thinks Reverse is different in Standard mode.
A guy at work tried it with his model 3 today and thought it might be a little different.
jcanoe and myself think it is the same.
Would love a more definitive answer, or a lot more votes.

Last edited:
No need to go fast in Reverse. This is more of a safety consideration which was raised by my wife yesterday.
Today I drove our model Y in reverse in both Chill and Standard and couldn't tell the difference between them (in reverse).

Back in the day I did an EV conversion on a vehicle. I left the transmission installed. Reverse was geared down lower than first which proved a little problematic, as it was difficult to go in reverse without burning a little rubber. So I installed a chill mode switch which reduced motor output to 25% of full power. This was a great solution.

My preference would be that Reverse has one acceleration curve optimized for safety.
At the end of the day, I am not sure what to tell my wife, because she thinks Reverse is different in Standard mode.
A guy at work tried it with his model 3 today and thought it might be a little different.
jcanoe and myself think it is the same.
Would love a more definitive answer, or a lot more votes.
I believe GM originally neglected to program a speed limit for the first generation Chevrolet Volt when in reverse. This was later fixed.

Like I said previously, there are certain safety considerations driving in reverse that are different than going forward.

Someone's wife might have wrecked someone's Tesla while driving in Reverse, and then blamed it on someone for switching the acceleration mode from Chill to Standard. Thereby prompting someone to wonder if it was really different?

PS - Just watched the video above (thanks for posting it). That clearly shows a speed limit of around 15 mph in reverse. Doesn't answer the question about acceleration modes however.

Last edited:
Does changing to chill or standard acceleration impact driving in Reverse?
Or does acceleration selection only impact Drive?
Yes. On Model S it does any way.

I use Chill mode a lot. I also tow a lot. I have to take it out of chill because the car doesn’t have enough kick when backing the trailer up a hill. Keeps wanting to roll back foreword too easily. And this is at very slow speeds.

Test it out. Let us know what your 0-60 time is in reverse.
Why do you need to go 60 to see if it matters?

It changes the acceleration curve starting at 0 in drive or reverse.

Huge difference in torque in reverse at 2 mph. In chill vs sport.

I test it often, because I’m usually in chill until I forget when moving my trailer around and have an oh *sugar* moment and need to take it out of chill. Night and day difference. From dangerous / very uncomfortable to do what need to do to safe / comfortable.

Without the trailer load I don’t even notice the difference backing up. But I’m sure it’s there if I pushed it even a little.

Reactions: zoomer0056