Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have zero interest in EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is slightly tangential to the main point here, and it is totally fine to love Tesla and not want EAP. But I would add that:
in a world where many people are plotting the demise of Tesla, EAP technology and 1 billion hours are one of the primary keys to Tesla's survival.

I disagree. The TM3 is the best *product* i've ever purchased. No hyperbole. And EAP wasn't even a factor. I'm a car guy and the driving dynamics are addictive and thrilling. The fact that it's running me ~ $0.04/mi and has a full "tank" every morning is the bees knees. I've wowed a lot of folks with the driving dynamics, UI, and overall spartan design. EAP wasn't a part of that discussion and didn't even come up in questions.

I applaud and encourage their path towards autonomy, but IMO they aren't even close yet.

The TM3 is the best *product* i've ever purchased. No hyperbole. And EAP wasn't even a factor. I'm a car guy and the driving dynamics are addictive and thrilling. The fact that it's running me ~ $0.04/mi and has a full "tank" every morning is the bees knees. I've wowed a lot of folks with the driving dynamics, UI, and overall spartan design.
I 110% agree with you. Best car ever made!

I'm at the end of my 30-day evaluation and it's now decision time. My thoughts echo those of others who compare EAP's driving style to that of a nervous, inexperienced teenager. For example, the system gets way too intimidated by the aggressive nature of freeway drivers here in greater LA/OC making it nearly impossible to execute a lane change without re-taking control. It also slows down abruptly and unexpectedly for situations that us humans would completely ignore. When that happens, I worry about what other drivers might think of my driving style; could EAP invoke a middle finger or two? Would a cop think I'm drunk and flip on the lights?

"EAP Lite" - ie Traffic Aware Cruise Control - has been largely excellent. When traffic was moving freely, I preferred this to full-blown Autosteer.

EAP in stop and go traffic was also excellent.

Navigate on Autopilot, on the other hand... Not particularly useful. I admit it was astonishing - and somewhat fun - watching the car activate the turn signs and execute merges on/off freeway ramps on its own, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready to take over in a nanosecond. With traffic around me, it was nerve wracking.

I also ran into one situation where if I didn't take over manually, EAP would have plowed into a dead coyote. They're not kidding when they say you always need to pay attention. But if this is the case, how much value does EAP bring?

I'm still torn as to whether or not I want to pull the trigger. After having just watched a few of the Model 3 Tear Down videos easily found on the interwebs, I find myself being quite impressed by the amount of engineering that went into making this car and its driver assistance systems. It gives me some confidence that if I do decide to buy EAP, my money won't be going to waste and the probability of improved performance via future software updates is reasonably good.

I guess I'll sleep on it...
Get it. It is awesome.

I disagree. The TM3 is the best *product* i've ever purchased. No hyperbole. And EAP wasn't even a factor. I'm a car guy and the driving dynamics are addictive and thrilling. The fact that it's running me ~ $0.04/mi and has a full "tank" every morning is the bees knees. I've wowed a lot of folks with the driving dynamics, UI, and overall spartan design. EAP wasn't a part of that discussion and didn't even come up in questions.

I applaud and encourage their path towards autonomy, but IMO they aren't even close yet.
I think other companies plan to reverse engineer and produce imitation TM3s. possibly at lower cost.

is there another car manufacturer that has anything close to EAP? I have no experience with EAP 2.0 and 2.5 but on my AP 1.0 car, I cannot live without it on long drives...

define close?

Supercruise on the Caddy CT6 is arguably as good/better in some ways... but only works on a very specific set of pre-mapped highways (and on a generally less awesome car- though it's supposedly coming to all caddy models by 2020)

Everyone elses systems seem to be significantly worse than those in various ways.

Reactions: Electroman
(snipped)

I would guess, and I would love to hear what other people believe, that EAP as it exists right now, is safer than 90% of human drivers. Is that overly optimistic? too conservative? That is, perhaps, a difficult thing to quantify, but I am interested to hear what other people think...

Can't find the primary article / stats regarding EAP / Tesla safety, this article picks up on this information.

Tesla Proclaims Autopilot 7× Safer Than Humans In New Quarterly Safety Report | CleanTechnica

Basically, Tesla / highway safety measures the number of incident/accident per mile driven (lower=better) and/or X number of mile per incident/accident (higher=better).

Stats come to about 6-7 times safer on EAP vs average car/driver combo. 4 times safer in Tesla vs average car/driver.

Elon said somewhere he wants EAP to be 10-15 times safer... and then we should all be on EAP (paraphrasing). 10 times is an order of magnitude...

Reactions: MaryAnning3
And... I'll add two cents to this...

My cousin (non owner) convinced me to get Autopilot on account of it being a marquee feature of Tesla. I hesitated and caved not knowing what it could be. I am so glad I did.

One word : I ain't going back. It is worth it's weight in gold and I would gladly pay for it again.

It makes my commute soooo much more relaxing and long distance trip a cinch. On highway trips, it's like your own personal chauffeur / taking a taxi ride.

For the folks that said "I've tried it a handful of times", you are under using it. A handful of tries is doing the EAP disservice. It took me a few weeks to get used to the limits/behavior of EAP.

On the flip side, folks have to be aware what EAP does right now : divided highway driving. It "works" for secondary highway/city driving but not optimal.

And... I'll add two cents to this...

My cousin (non owner) convinced me to get Autopilot on account of it being a marquee feature of Tesla. I hesitated and caved not knowing what it could be. I am so glad I did.

One word : I ain't going back. It is worth it's weight in gold and I would gladly pay for it again.

It makes my commute soooo much more relaxing and long distance trip a cinch. On highway trips, it's like your own personal chauffeur / taking a taxi ride.

For the folks that said "I've tried it a handful of times", you are under using it. A handful of tries is doing the EAP disservice. It took me a few weeks to get used to the limits/behavior of EAP.

On the flip side, folks have to be aware what EAP does right now : divided highway driving. It "works" for secondary highway/city driving but not optimal.
LOVE IT. In some of my posts on this subject, I have used almost exactly the same phrases - "personal chauffeur, weight in gold, disservice - and expressed very similar sentiments.

For those that don't have an significant commute or don't travel that much long distance, I can understand if you decide not to buy EAP. But if you have a good commute and you are not using EAP - you are the loser. You can only bring a horse to the water..

Not impressed. 70-80 times better, ya thats good. 10-15? who cares?

@Electroman

All due respect - my math skills are a bit off/lacking to demonstrate the sheer magnitude of 10-15 times better. 2 times is a half reduction 10 times is a log difference. (Life science here with a nerd math side).

10 times is a 90% *reduction* in events.

2016 canadian stats
- 1898 fatalities becomes 189 fatalities
- 5.1 fatalities per billion km driven becomes 0.5
- And so on

10 times is extremely significant. 70-80 times is the equivalent on zero risk? I don't want to boggle this thread down to math. Better people can correct me if I am way off.

After 6 months of driving the model 3 and 18500 miles mostly long distance trips all that can be said for EAP and adaptive cruise control is that it makes driving much safer and more relaxing. Yes you need to pay attention to the driving, and yes it still has its glitches, requires reasonable quality roads with lane marking, but at the end of the day I have no regrets, and if used as designed driving is more safe than without it.