Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Unplug For Thunderstorms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are are experiencing our third day in a row of severe thunderstorm warnings here in Western North Carolina. While we usually don't have many problems we have had lightning damage of electronics twice in the past 30 years. I have been trying to unplug my MYLR for the storms. When searching the subject I really don't get a definitive answer.

Though Tesla recommends keeping the car plugged in when not driving I left the car unplugged last week to avoid lightning while we were out of town for 6 days. It was charged to 80% when I left and was still showing 80% when I returned so phantom power draw does not seem to be a problem with my vehicle.

While nothing can really withstand a direct lightning strike, I am most concerned with power surges caused by these storms.

Do you unplug your Tesla for these storms?

Tesla is largely silent on whether it is safe to charge during an electrical storm. The Gen2 Mobile Connector Owners Manual contains the following statement.

Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Unplugging if there is a reasonable chance of electrical storms is the safer option. As you noted, as long as Sentry mode is set to be off at the Home location there is very little loss of charge (~1% over 7 day period.)

The probability of a close by ground lightning strike damaging your Tesla vehicle is low. The potential damage to the Tesla vehicle's components and wiring could result in a total loss. You have to decide whether to leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in during an electrical storm and if you leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in if you will be away.

Reactions: ncridgerunner
Can’t hurt.. why risk it if you’re able to prevent it for sure.
The fire alarm system here at my townhouses has been affected by storms several times. Albeit I’m not convinced the surge protection is properly grounded, but it gives me peace of mind knowing that unless the car gets directly struck, while in my garage, there’s no chance of it getting fried via the grid (I also have a Siemens whole house surge protector).

Big storms? Sure, I'll unplug our cars. More than likely, I won't even be charging if a storm is on the way. I've also been known to unplug the EVSE or flip the breaker off if a super-big lightning event is about to happen. I will also unplug the Breville toaster oven, the washer and dryer, computers or any other sensitive and expensive appliance. Why risk the potential for damage?

I don't.
Tesla Wall Connector seems to have a power surge protection.
I think you ll not find online even a single case when tesla was damaged by power surge caused by lightning. There were cases when lightning strike near the car and that damaged it. But no cases related to power surge of connected to the charger vehicle.

Interesting.
A power surge is not limited to thunderstorms. A power surge can occur when power is restored after a power outage and there is probably a greater risk for a power surge when power is restored than a thunderstorm. Power surges occur VERY often (in the US at least).

If we use solely @jcanoe 's logic then we shouldn't really worry because power surges occur more often outside of inclement weather.
"Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather."

There doesn't really seem to be a good way to protect from power surges (because they occur very often outside of thunderstorms) and Tesla does not recommend or require a surge protector (for the house, car, etc).

Interesting.
A power surge is not limited to thunderstorms. A power surge can occur when power is restored after a power outage and there is probably a greater risk for a power surge when power is restored than a thunderstorm. Power surges occur VERY often (in the US at least).

If we use solely @jcanoe 's logic then we shouldn't really worry because power surges occur more often outside of inclement weather.
"Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather."

There doesn't really seem to be a good way to protect from power surges (because they occur very often outside of thunderstorms) and Tesla does not recommend or require a surge protector (for the house, car, etc).
Tesla does not state in either the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual or Gen2 Mobile Connector User Manual that you should not install a whole-house surge protector. Tesla does state that you should not install a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt (GFCI) circuit breaker on the Gen3 Wall Connector power circuit. A GFCI is a totally separate device from a surge protector (whole house or receptacle based surge protection.)

Um. Speaking as a guy who's shepherded numerous pieces of $RANDOM telecom gear through lightning surge testing, maybe I can provide a couple of guidelines.

First off, and I hate to say this: "It all depends."

Take your $RANDOM farmer who has a house (a) on the flats, (b) no trees around, (c) maybe raised up a bit (to prevent flooding) when the house was built, and (d) there's a single long line of telephone poles coming in from a mile (or something) away to provide electricity.

That guy has problems. Never mind Teslas: If there's a thunderstorm anywhere in the area, TV sets, radios, computers, electronics of all kinds, the occasional incandescent lamp, and all are going to get burned out on a regular basis. IF that lone telephone pole has a "top wire" that's meant to catch lightning (pretty typical for power distribution) it might not be as bad as all that, but, even so, Big Jolts R Us are coming down the power line into the house.

For people like that electricians mount lightning rods on the top corners of the house (sometimes those lightning rods actually take hits, but, more likely, the pointy tips simply discharge the E-fields around the house), with big honking wires into big honking ground stakes plonked into the ground. Further, for this person with Problems, it's not unusual for the electrician to put in a spark-gap/lightning arrestor on the side of the house, with the main power feed going through such a beast. A big ground stake (maybe the same one for the lightning rods) is usually placed directly below said arrestor, and there's calibrated gaps between the (typical) 2-phase power input and the Ground, the idea being to at least limit the maximum surge potential to, say, 5 kV or so. For even better suppression, after the spark gap, there'll be some hefty, hockey-puck style MOV (Metal Oxide Varistors) between the two hots and the neutral/ground wire. MOVs (and TVS diodes) are devices that, below their rating voltage, act roughly like an open; above their rating voltage, they swiftly become a short, and thereby limit the maximum voltage applied to the house itself.

The lightning surges themselves are on the order of a maximum of 10us to 50us long. There's a very large peak energy, but the average isn't much, so an MOV that can, say, dissipate 50W for 50 us isn't all that large. Much smaller ones are used in those things one buys at Home Depot or Staples that can do a Joule or two of energy dissipation. They do wear out after a time (say, a couple of thousand jolts at their max rated energy), but last a lot longer if a lot less energy hits them.

So, we've discussed our poor schmuck out in the middle of a field. Let's talk about the opposite case: Somebody living in Suburbia. First, if one looks at a power pole, it's typical that there's a top wire 'way the heck up there that is occasionally connected to a wire that goes into a ground stake, every ten poles or so. The general idea is that MegaAmp/MegaVolt jolt goes across that top wire and into the ground connection. A lightning strike tends to follow the shortest electrical path to ground, and those ground wires are them. But, there's more!

Remember that I said that the pulse widths, maximum, of a lightning strike are in the 10-50 us range? Well, the rise times of a lightning strike are in the 1 us to 8 us range. That's a frequency content (f = 1/time) of around 1 MHz to 250 kHz. So, that means that wires that are "long" in terms of wavelength (wavelength = speed_o_light/frequency). At 1 MHz, the wavelength is around 300 meters. Actually, a quarter of a wavelength will do for a decent radiator, so figure 70 meters; and that's easy to come by. What this means: That energy present on that strike is going to do more than head for ground, it's going to radiate all over the place as well. STRONGLY. Which means that the power lines exposed to this stuff on the next level or two down on the power pole are going to pick this stuff up and deliver it to the House and all the fancy stuff inside.

But.. It's not going to be at nearly the same level as what our friend the farmer sees. And, as one might expect, the U.L. and similar bodies have specifications about Just How Much Of A Surge That Stuff That Gets Connected To City Power Can Withstand. As a result: Get a lightning strike on the pole right outside your house in Suburbia and you might very well lose your TV set. But the energy spike gets attenuated as it travels and your neighbors to either side and up and down the street aren't going to have an issue.

There's more fun. Say one has underground wiring.. In my case, this little development in which I live has power poles up and down the main street, but the high-voltage, 480 VAC, goes into a pipe which then goes underground to the dozen or so houses in the development. Here and there the 480 VAC comes up, hits a transformer that downconverts it to two phases of 120 VAC for a couple-three houses, and that, too, runs underground (but not as deeply) to the sides of the houses.

Any fast-moving spike is going to see a ton of capacitance down that wire to the earth in all directions, and has to get through some transformer as well. So, at my place, the electricity level has the characteristics of a still pond.

So, live in a hilly place but in the valley? You're not going to have trouble. Live in a place that's effectively a forest, where the trees are lots taller than the power poles? LIkewise.

Finally: While I know more than I want to know about lightning surge and ANSI standards regarding same for telecom gear, it's pretty much a gimmie that when one is plugging equipment into Superchargers and the like said equipment had better darn well be able to handle the occasional lightning strike on the transformers/pole outside a Supercharger. And it won't just be the Supecharger electronics that has to handle this sans problems: The car must, too. And unless Tesla wanted complaints from Everybody On The Flats, they would have put MOVs, filtering, and the like, both in the Wall Connectors and the BEVs of the world.

My conclusion: Unless one is in an abnormally exposed spot, I wouldn't worry about lightning surge too much. I mean, the telephone company used to warn people against using POTS phones during lightning storms; and, when people did do that anyway, once every couple of years or so somebody would get themselves electrocuted that way.

So: If there's a history of people in the neighborhood getting the electronics blown due to lightning strikes: Yep, go and disconnect your Tesla. And maybe think about a whole-house lightning protector for everything else in the house as well. If nobody around the place can think of a time when lightning was a problem... Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You wanna be safer than sorrier? Sure, knock yourself out.

Personal experience living in an area prone to tornados and severe thunderstorms... I have not had any problems with lightning or power surges for 18 months. Until one storm a few weeks ago. There was a hellacious electrical storm early one morning. when we got up we discovered several LED bulbs inside and outside had been blown out. Computers, TVs, etc. were all okay, but for some reason the LEDs get fried. Then we went to the Tesla (connected to a Wall Connector), and there was a notice that the charge port had an error. Called it into service, and they replaced it under warranty. But, we had no way to charge for the several days that it took to get it into service.

Can't be sure it was caused by the lightning, and considering the bulbs were turned off (no current past the switch) at the time and still burned out, having the Tesla disconnected might not have mattered. I think the transient EMP may have been strong enough to do the damage.

In the future, will I unplug the Tesla if a severe storm is on the way? Probably if it's not too inconvenient, but I won't panic if it's not unplugged.

My home falls under the use case of being close to many tall (higher than 100 ft) trees. So when lightning strikes it is most likely to be one of the tall trees that is hit. I rank order my electronics in descending order according of replacement cost and importance. My Tesla Model Y is at the top of the list; always parked in my garage, unplugged in case of storms.

This past week I had unplugged my Tesla Model Y and all of the usual equipment (laptop, printer, televisions, etc.) I don't as a rule unplug my router but it is plugged into a decent surge protector. The house never lost power. After the storms had passed, including one very close ground lightning strike that shook the house, I noticed that two of my nightlights no longer were working. Now these were inexpensive LED nightlights that were not new. Since both LED night lights were the same design I can only assume that a voltage spike sent into the house wiring was high enough to damage these night lights. No big deal but served as a reminder that it pays to take precautions with expensive electronics.

My home is on a ridge and my shop which is 60 feet from the house sits higher on the ridge. There are many tall trees that sit higher on the ridge above my shop. I had a lightning strike about 10 years ago right outside my shop that strangely enough did not strike a tall tree but but struck at the base of the tree. I witnessed this up close and personal. Below is an account of thee strike that I posted on another car forum I was a member of at the time:

"Had a near death experience with my SLK and wasn’t even driving. Last week I had my SLK parked on the concrete pad in front of my shop after pulling the head unit to install a video card unit. After getting the head unit pulled I could hear a summer afternoon storm rolling in. I hurriedly got everything that didn’t need to get wet inside the shop and closed up the car before the storm arrived. Just after getting everything gathered up I was standing in my shop watching the storm through the open garage door when a bolt of lightning struck the red clay bank about 5 feet from the front of my car.

The noise and terrific explosion temporarily stunned me leaving me blind and deaf for a few seconds. When I regained my senses I saw my black SLK was covered with red clay from the explosion and chunks of concrete half the size of a loaf of bread had been tossed around. The surge of electricity dug a trench down the bank and followed the wire reinforcement mesh I had installed in the concrete pad into my shop taking out various electrical devices and strangely enough followed my Ethernet cable down the hill to my house taking out everything connected to the router including smart tv’s and a copier.

I was shaken but unhurt though my ears were ringing for about 4 hours afterward. My poor dog that was in the shop with me was so terrified that he urinated and defecated all over himself.

Luckily none of the large debris hit my car but the red clay soon turned to red mud in the torrential rain and ran into every crack and crevice. It has taken hours to clean and even yet I find more red dirt in new places.

It seems, as we are taught, that lightning usually strikes tall objects such as trees and buildings however this bolt struck the ground within a few feet of several large trees and where there is no metal or other visible conductors.

I have always had a healthy respect for lightning but seeing it up that close was a real eye opener as to the deadly force of nature and one experience I do not care to repeat.

Other than getting dirty, the car seems to be ok. I’m sure it took a large jolt with all the electromagnetic energy in the air but it runs fine and all systems seem normal.

All-in-all the damaged property can be replaced and I feel blessed to be unharmed. The dog on the other hand may need professional help."

By the way about a month later another strong storm came up and the dog in this story ran off and was never seen again.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: legendsk and SO16
Absolutely matter of fact did it day before yesterday. There was a lot of lightning and thunder and believe it or not 10 minutes after I disconnected the charger, the electricity of the entire house flickered, and everything in the house rebooted.
Microwave and cooking range lost time. I don’t want to take any risk with my Tesla.

My home is on a ridge and my shop which is 60 feet from the house sits higher on the ridge. There are many tall trees that sit higher on the ridge above my shop. I had a lightning strike about 10 years ago right outside my shop that strangely enough did not strike a tall tree but but struck at the base of the tree. I witnessed this up close and personal. Below is an account of thee strike that I posted on another car forum I was a member of at the time:

"Had a near death experience with my SLK and wasn’t even driving. Last week I had my SLK parked on the concrete pad in front of my shop after pulling the head unit to install a video card unit. After getting the head unit pulled I could hear a summer afternoon storm rolling in. I hurriedly got everything that didn’t need to get wet inside the shop and closed up the car before the storm arrived. Just after getting everything gathered up I was standing in my shop watching the storm through the open garage door when a bolt of lightning struck the red clay bank about 5 feet from the front of my car.

The noise and terrific explosion temporarily stunned me leaving me blind and deaf for a few seconds. When I regained my senses I saw my black SLK was covered with red clay from the explosion and chunks of concrete half the size of a loaf of bread had been tossed around. The surge of electricity dug a trench down the bank and followed the wire reinforcement mesh I had installed in the concrete pad into my shop taking out various electrical devices and strangely enough followed my Ethernet cable down the hill to my house taking out everything connected to the router including smart tv’s and a copier.

I was shaken but unhurt though my ears were ringing for about 4 hours afterward. My poor dog that was in the shop with me was so terrified that he urinated and defecated all over himself.

Luckily none of the large debris hit my car but the red clay soon turned to red mud in the torrential rain and ran into every crack and crevice. It has taken hours to clean and even yet I find more red dirt in new places.

It seems, as we are taught, that lightning usually strikes tall objects such as trees and buildings however this bolt struck the ground within a few feet of several large trees and where there is no metal or other visible conductors.

I have always had a healthy respect for lightning but seeing it up that close was a real eye opener as to the deadly force of nature and one experience I do not care to repeat.

Other than getting dirty, the car seems to be ok. I’m sure it took a large jolt with all the electromagnetic energy in the air but it runs fine and all systems seem normal.

All-in-all the damaged property can be replaced and I feel blessed to be unharmed. The dog on the other hand may need professional help."

By the way about a month later another strong storm came up and the dog in this story ran off and was never seen again.
Minor comment on your near-death experience (beyond, I guess, thanking my lucky stars that I wasn't there 😁):

Generally, lightning follows the path of least resistance. But this gets weird when it comes to lightning strikes.

Let's start off: Back in the day when I used to help run a club ham radio station on a Navy base, we had a bunch of antennas strung above the roof of a airplane hanger. We didn't use all the antennas all the time, so coaxial cable from the antennas were routed into this old seaplane control tower that we had (the seaplanes were no longer in evidence, so we got it. Great view.) and into a patch panel.

On a nice, sunny day with no actual rainstorms, little puffy fair-weather cumulus clouds would pass by overhead, followed by no cloud, followed by the next cloud, and so on. If one put a DC voltmeter across one of those coaxial cable connectors, every time a cloud would pass by the voltage on the meter would zip up to a kV or so; then drop down to maybe 50V when the cloud was gone, then back up to a kV or so, and so on. Clearly, the bottoms of the clouds were at a pretty high potential and the antennas were picking that up. (If one took the voltmeter off, about once minute or three there would be a "snap!" as the connector arced across. Fun.)

So, imagine that one has a Really Big Potential up there in the sky. One doesn't get the lightning arc all at once. As explained by people with really fast video cameras, a feeder starts up there somewhere, travels a hundred meters or so, then stop; at that point, little tiny breakdowns point in all directions from the "live" end of the strike; one of those goes to a lower potential than all the others. At that point, at that time, in that airflow, with yea moisture in the air, and so on. That particular one that "lights up" as the others all shrivel and the bolt progresses another hundred meters or so. Note that in the "bolt" area the air has literally been ripped apart, is glowing, and is effectively a short circuit to all the charge above.

So, step by step, the bolt wanders its way to the lower and lower potential; the last step may involve not just one "feeder" lighting up, but all of them into ground. To say, Your Mileage May Vary on this process is a gross understatement.

Going along these lines, then:
  • Ye Wandering Path may not have gone near the tree.
  • The tree might not be particularly wet at this point. If it's dry, then it's not all that conductive. Don't take any bets.
  • That nifty metal mesh you stuck into the ground may have lowered the potential of the physical ground in the area a few thousand volts; no question, if a little current started flowing, Ye Path Of Least Resistance may have mandated that the flow of current would have preferentially headed for that mesh.
  • I've been around a lightning strike or dozen in my lifetime. But that one that you describe with concrete blocks being thrown hither and yon.. Well, strikes do come in different strengths, and it looks like you caught a whale. That's impressive.

Reactions: ncridgerunner