Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you unplug another EV if its charging is complete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an apartment complex where there are free charging stations to its residents. The charging station can indicate whether the car its plugged into has completed its charging session. On two separate occasions, my model 3 has recorded the same resident unplug the charging cable from my car and plug it into his EV. Even though my charging was complete when he did it, I don't like it when someone does it because it leaves the charging adapter plugged in and my port open. Also, I am worried that he might not unplug it the proper way which might cause damage to the port.

I was going to talk to him but I wanted to know first if it is normal or acceptable in the EV culture for someone to unplug the charging cable from your car if its charging has been completed.

• Funny
Reactions: jjhoov
I was going to talk to him but I wanted to know first if it is normal or acceptable in the EV culture for someone to unplug the charging cable from your car if its charging has been completed.

When we got our first EV (Nissan Leaf) in 2012, this was common as there were fewer charging stations. We would charge enough for our destination and then move to a different parking spot to let others charge.

The EV owner that has been unplugging you, what kind of EV do they drive ?

Yes - it is acceptable to unplug a public or shared residential charger when a vehicle has finished charging. No damage will be done to your car even if it rains with the adapter still plugged in. If you don’t like it, move your vehicle when it finishes charging... that is good EV etiquette. :)

I tried to unplug my model 3 while it's locked to simulate how a stranger would do it. One time the small adapter came out and another time it stayed plugged in. I am not sure if it's fool proof for non-Tesla EV owners.

When we got our first EV (Nissan Leaf) in 2012, this was common as there were fewer charging stations. We would charge enough for our destination and then move to a different parking spot to let others charge.

The EV owner that has been unplugging you, what kind of EV do they drive ?

I think his was Kia plug-in hybrid.