Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Time to change a basic Supercharging design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone from Houston it doesn't shock me at all that someone stole the charging cables from 18 of 19 Superchargers in Montrose. Nobody seems 100% sure if this was a copper theft or an anti-EV action.

BUT - my question is this: is it time to take the cables off of EV chargers in America?

In other countries the driver has to supply their own charging cable - the dispenser provides just a port to plug into. Should Tesla move this way in the US, too?

I can see how this might also resolve the non-Tesla "cord is too short" issues that result in double parking spots being taken by non-Teslas while charging. Just have a long enough cable in your car.

Is it time to change a basic Supercharger design?

Far too much of an installed base to do that now.

Additionally, the cords(to carry 150-250kw) are big, heavy, expensive items. I understand newer ones are even liquid cooled. Its an added expense that no one will welcome. They'll take up space/weight in the car, some folks won't be physically able to use them, and so on.

I tend to agree with you. Also, how long does it take to remove 18 charging cables? 15 minutes? 30? This Supercharger is in a very populated area. My first question is where are the police? But I already know the answer to that one. I've had cars broken into in Houston. I've been in auto accidents in Houston. The police don't respond unless you say there's an 18-wheeler involved. Very sad. We'll never know what happened here AND KPRC was kind enough to let everyone know it's safe to do this. <eye roll>

In other countries the driver has to supply their own charging cable - the dispenser provides just a port to plug into. Should Tesla move this way in the US, too?
This is the case for Level 2 stations (and it's not a bad idea), but definitely not DC fastchargers. As @Sophias_dad pointed out, those are huge cables with specialized sensors and cooling. It would really not be practical to design such a system.

This is partly the outcome of the initial site design of Supercharger/fastcharger stations being placed in relatively unwanted areas (beggars can't be choosers) in the far corners of parking lots.

The solution is likely to take the form of stations becoming more front and center (and hopefully laid out more like gas station islands to accommodate various vehicle sizes/shapes) with well lit, covered (or even indoor), and monitored sites.

Until then, a "simpler" solution would be to enclose the cable behind a door that is latched closed until a customer authorizes payment (and requires the door to be relatched before the transaction is complete). Unfortunately this defeats the plug-and-charge convenience, but such a solution may be necessary.

As someone from Houston it doesn't shock me at all that someone stole the charging cables from 18 of 19 Superchargers in Montrose. Nobody seems 100% sure if this was a copper theft or an anti-EV action.

BUT - my question is this: is it time to take the cables off of EV chargers in America?

I can see how this might also resolve the non-Tesla "cord is too short" issues that result in double parking spots being taken by non-Teslas while charging. Just have a long enough cable in your car.

I think Tesla is planning a NACS extension cord. Tesla Semi has been using that for years. So the car owner cable is great once the bugs are worked out: weight, costs, disability accommodations...

I also like @RTPEV 's idea of locked cable. An automatic lock/unlock cable cabinet responding to your Tesla car's signal. The problem is cost, not technology.

China already has an automatic obstacle depending on Tesla car's signal to make sure the supercharger is not ICEd.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
"It’s not clear when the new solution will be available."

Yeah, considering this was at the beginning of March and it's now May AND they probably laid off the people working on it...
True. It is not a technical impossibility like landing astronauts on the burning sun.

It's about the implementation of existing technology. That means DON'T lay off the Supercharger team.

Last edited:
An article about automatic obstacles to prevent being iced but allowing Tesla cars in fine. That automation could be transferred to automatic unlocking cable cabinet:

3_00ddfab4-6306-45a3-9f40-9f98fc38fb26.jpg

Reactions: ahardfsu
It happens here in the UK too at specific locations which are presumably quiet and with a nearby population of scrotes. The value of the reclaimed copper is really quite low but I suppose these people are happy to do whatever for a few £/$.

The only answer for the moment would be highly visible, monitored CCTV of the chargers and/or security staff on site, neither of which are probably practical or cost-effective.

In time, the more the chargers are in use, the less the scrotes will attack. Untethered chargers are are a backward step. Maybe attack monkeys could be employed? Like Trunk Monkey, but Charger Monkey.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

I think you mixed up the two types of public charging, such as Level 3 DC Supercharging (about 100 kW+) and Level 2 AC charging (about 10 kW.)

From your title, you mentioned "Supercharging" which are using liquid cooling cables, so the cables cannot be unplugged from the charging station.
So, it would have been a good idea to have a way to protect them from vandalism, using a cabinet door or a rolling back mechanism.

However, in the case of Level 2 AC charging, in Europe those public chargers require that each user has his/her own charging cable, but not in US.

In my area, those Level 2 AC charging are constantly vandalized, and I agree that the US Level 2 design should be changed to use a separate cable.

But would the US users accept this change requiring to buy an extra cable, which might cost around $100 ?

ChargePoint Vandalised .jpg

Last edited: