Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying (or not buying) FSD?

If Tesla offered your money back for the FSD package, would you take it?

• Yes, I would take my money back if offered.

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • No, I am happy I bought the FSD package.

Votes: 118 38.1%
  • I did not buy FSD and I still would not, even if the price were reduced to $3,000.

Votes: 88 28.4%
  • I did not buy FSD but I'd buy it today if Tesla reduced the price back to $3,000.

Votes: 60 19.4%
  • Other. Explain in your post.

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought in with the special $2k sale in March. I would not have spent much more on this 'promise of future feature', but I figured if it actually happens during my car's lifetime it would be awesome and I'm helping the cause. Today, there's no way I would spend $7k in the hope of it becoming reality. I'm a computer programmer and know how fickle software can be and the so called 'edge cases' are nearly infinite.... I'd love to see it happen, but I'm pretty skeptical right now.

Reactions: KJD
OTOH, if it really DOES happen, I would have been willing to pay around $10k for it as an add-on.

Yes. I'd pay more than that. Actually, my plan is to trade up to a new car once true Level 5 FSD becomes available. This is because I speculate that the first Level 5 car will have better sensors than mine has. Musk said my car has all the necessary hardware. Then he had to admit the computer is not adequate. I think sensors will improve as well, and even if my car can be upgraded, the purpose-built L5 FSD car will have better sensors and will be more reliable. This is a large part of the reason I paid for EAP (which was actually available and working) but not for FSD, which was a promise for the future and which I figured was 5 to 10 years away. And which I now figure is ten years away. But I'd pay $10K to upgrade my EAP features to Level 3 (eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, driver attention not required). I think that might come (with a needed computer upgrade to HW4) in five years.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I would take the money back, but not because I don't want the feature. I do. That is why I paid to begin with. However, after paying, I expected something. A contact, an email thanking me and telling me what happens next, anything for God's sake! Even after 5 attempts to contact customer support, no one reaches out. I'm very disappointed with Musk. I thought some of the tricks he pulled in the past (e.g. stock going private) were just mistakes. I really believe in the guy. But this now feels like a stunt to get money. If I had known Tesla has pull price increase stunts like this in the past, I would not have put the money down. I think they should be sued for playing games like this.

I would take the money back, but not because I don't want the feature. I do. That is why I paid to begin with. However, after paying, I expected something. A contact, an email thanking me and telling me what happens next, anything for God's sake! Even after 5 attempts to contact customer support, no one reaches out. I'm very disappointed with Musk. I thought some of the tricks he pulled in the past (e.g. stock going private) were just mistakes. I really believe in the guy. But this now feels like a stunt to get money. If I had known Tesla has pull price increase stunts like this in the past, I would not have put the money down. I think they should be sued for playing games like this.

What did you have prior to FSD purchase? If you had EAP, you wouldn’t see anything extra at the moment.

You didn’t get an email from the purchase? Odd. I did.

Lucky. I got ripped off royally. Paid $5k just for EAP. AND paid a ton more for LR when i can get a Performance for the same price now.

Well....when I received my S90D, the 100D came out for the same price.

And now I can get a performance for even less.

Prices definitely change. But at least next time I will get a better car for less. Can’t say that about many other manufacturers.

We bought FSD for $2K in the bargain basement in March, and I’m glad. Today it adds nothing on top of EAP. It’s a bet on the future, and we plan to own this car for many years. We can be patient. If FSD turns out to be a total bust, we lose our $2000 bet. That would annoy me, but I’d survive. And I don’t expect to lose. I’m just not sure when we’ll win!

Reactions: insaneoctane
I don’t think that swapping of the computer was a surprise. They were designing that new computer years ago for replacement.

Well, if they have known about the computer all along, then why did they tell us our cars had all the hardware needed for FSD when we bought them? That is even worse! It means they actively sold us cars using false information. Not that I would put that past them anymore....

Well, if they have known about the computer all along, then why did they tell us our cars had all the hardware needed for FSD when we bought them? That is even worse! It means they actively sold us cars using false information. Not that I would put that past them anymore....

I have HW 2.0 and FSD which will get me the new AP computer. So......in the end, does it matter....at all? No.

Now if they came back and said “sorry, your car can’t be upgraded to FSD” and didn’t refund my FSD purchase, that would be bad.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I leased and I don't think they'll have it working to an extent that it's worth the extra $80/mo in the next couple of years.

If they offered it as a service I could turn on/off at will for $80/mo I'd probably give it a try, but I'm not going to commit to $80/mo for 3 years on the promise of future functionality.

Well....when I received my S90D, the 100D came out for the same price.

And now I can get a performance for even less.

Prices definitely change. But at least next time I will get a better car for less. Can’t say that about many other manufacturers.

That’s great for you. You sound like someone who doesn’t mind paying more for things. Don’t need to buy things on sale and can buy everything at full price.

Not everyone is like that. I mind being lied to and having to pay more for something when I shouldn’t have.

Other car manufactures are stable. Their pricing doesn’t go up and down like the stock market in steroids. If Tesla told me i would not have bought the car or EAP when I did. Basically I was lied to when they said FSD will only go up in price. Not roller coaster.

Last edited:
Other car manufactures are stable. Their pricing doesn’t go up and down like the stock market in steroids. If Tesla told me i would not have bought the car or EAP when I did. Basically I was lied to when they said FSD will only go up in price. Not roller coaster.

Tesla/Elon shouldn’t say statements like that...I agree.

True about other manufacturers. Their price changes are not quite as extreme....they always rip you off...not just sometimes.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and KJD
I leased and I don't think they'll have it working to an extent that it's worth the extra $80/mo in the next couple of years.

If they offered it as a service I could turn on/off at will for $80/mo I'd probably give it a try, but I'm not going to commit to $80/mo for 3 years on the promise of future functionality.

I would have NEVER purchased ANY “promised” service if I leased the vehicle.

Reactions: jebinc and afadeev