Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do cars that currently have USS get them disabled in a software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered in one of the mega USS threads, but I do recall reading somewhere that cars that currently have USS (mine included) will have them disabled in a software update and would like to know if this has been the case and if so, which software version?

At present they do not disable USS in any firmware. There may be a point in the future when vision provides all the functionality of USS, at which point they might decide to disable the USS, much as they did with the radar. (Vision is totally great in low sun and is every bit as good as having the radar, of course!)

@qwickshot

If someone had updated their software to a particular version and found there Park Assist no longer functioned, then my question would have been answered. :cool:

You would think so ... but reports suggest that Parking Assist is so flaky at the best of times you would never really know the difference!

[EDIT: I was thinking about Autopark self parking feature ... not USS ...]
;)

Last edited:
You would think so ... but reports suggest that Parking Assist is so flaky at the best of times you would never really know the difference! ;)
is park assist the same thing as autopark?
I don't use/have autopark but I sure as heck use the USS and would notice if they stopped working.
I can see a time when Tesla would turn them off if they were able to convince themselves that vision worked. but if they turn them off in the same update when vision is launched and it is crap then I think they will have (another) class action on their hands.
I have gone from a vehicle with radar to one without so I never tried to use the same vehicle with and without radar but in my experience autopilot is working better on the car without radar than the one with, much less phantom braking so far for instance. So no complaints from me on that
BUT
I fail to see how that can be the case with the USS. The cameras have blind spots and the rear one is too dirty to see out of half the time and if I cannot see out if it then I doubt the car can so I see a lot of getting out and cleaning cameras mid parking in a non USS future even if it does work.

is park assist the same thing as autopark?
I don't use/have autopark but I sure as heck use the USS and would notice if they stopped working.
I can see a time when Tesla would turn them off if they were able to convince themselves that vision worked. but if they turn them off in the same update when vision is launched and it is crap then I think they will have (another) class action on their hands.
I have gone from a vehicle with radar to one without so I never tried to use the same vehicle with and without radar but in my experience autopilot is working better on the car without radar than the one with, much less phantom braking so far for instance. So no complaints from me on that
BUT
I fail to see how that can be the case with the USS. The cameras have blind spots and the rear one is too dirty to see out of half the time and if I cannot see out if it then I doubt the car can so I see a lot of getting out and cleaning cameras mid parking in a non USS future even if it does work.

I was wrongly conflating Park Assist and Autopark in my post ...

@qwickshot

If someone had updated their software to a particular version and found there Park Assist no longer functioned, then my question would have been answered. :cool:
It’s not happened yet, no cars without the sensors have had the software update. They aren’t going to disable them for everyone else for the lolz in the mean time.

I doubt even tesla know the answer as to whether they will disable them on cars that have them yet.

The only thing we have to go on is that they have said they don’t plan which is corporate speak for not at the moment but we are not ruling it out in the future. Never say never and all that.

Looks like they did...
My USS don't work anymore since I guess 2023.12 version of software.
Few weeks ago I kind of noticed a weird behavior of park assist, but thought it's a glitch. But today I 100% confirmed, that USS are disabled. Park assist work based on cameras and it's completely useless in the tight parking spots... 🤬
P.S. Luck I didn't scratch anyone...

Looks like they did...
Few weeks ago I kind of noticed a weird behavior of park assist, but thought it's a glitch. But today I 100% confirmed, that USS are disabled. Park assist work based on cameras and it's completely useless in the tight parking spots... 🤬
My 2020 3LR is on 2023.12.9. USS still operating normally. I’d suggest a service visit

Looks like they did...
sometimes after update you get this feature toggled off.

have you checked?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My 2020 3LR is on 2023.12.9. USS still operating normally. I’d suggest a service visit
Try it again.
Ask someone to stay next to the car with a hand bag or any other big object, and move it back and forth near one of USS sensors. Car has a zero reaction to that, even if you cover the sensor completely. No beeping sounds or change in the graphics on the screen.

Last edited:
Try it again.
Ask someone to stay next to the car with a hand bag or any other big object, and move it back and forth near one of USS sensors. Car has a zero reaction to that, even if you cover the sensor completely. No beeping sounds or change in the graphics on the screen.
Ok Done that. USS is working perfectly front and rear as I said.
Removing it from cars where USS was fitted would have rendered summon & auto park inoperable on a lot of vehicles.
That was never going to happen until Teslavision is bullet proof

Art84- what model and year car are you running?

I wonder if disabling USS via software update is contingent also at present on hardware system - whether it can yet replace the functionality (tho sounds like yours didn’t work well). Some newer cars (X/S) have USS _and_ HW4… is it possible in a software update those are the only cases where USS has been disabled?

FWIW, I’ve observed Tesla Vision on USS-less M3/Y renders far inferior and inconsistent distance readings / park assist compared to same vehicles with USS…. Wondered if the situation was better with HW4.