Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display panel comes on by itself after charging is complete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that the display behind the steering wheel sometimes comes on after the car has been parked for a while and is off.
I have only see it about 4 times and it may coicide with when the charging is complete.
Has anyone else seen this?

I have noticed that the display behind the steering wheel sometimes comes on after the car has been parked for a while and is off.
I have only see it about 4 times and it may coicide with when the charging is complete.

Yes, though I don't know if it it correlated to charge completion or not. My other half commented once that the screen was on when he walked by the car on the way into the house; as I recall, I also found it on, another time. I'm not sure if it still happens (or if it always happened...we just noticed it a couple of times...). The times I remember were a while ago (before scheduled charging), when it would finish charging in the evening, so it mightve been when charging completed.

My car's scheduled for morning charging now, so we wouldn't notice if it was still happening.

I've seen it on some of the Model S at work when they finish charging. The Model S aren't mine though so I don't know the correct behavior about when/what conditions they turn on. (I have a Leaf.)

Can it be reliably triggered if one unplugs the J1772 handle and replugs it? Often, I want to be sure that the owner got all the juice he wanted before swapping plugs. (We have over 38 EVs/PHEVs @ my work and ~10 J1772 handles... Fortunately, charging is free.)

Mine comes on semi-regularly whenever the car is plugged in. It may be charging, or it may be waiting to charge based on my schedule. If I unlock, then re-lock the car it will go dark.

I reported it to service. On the Work Order they simply said "lock car to turn off the dash screen". Duh, no kidding. I was reporting it coming on by itself in a locked car hours after the car was parked and locked.

The reason it bugs me is that Tesla's explanation for turning off the charge port light is so that attention is not drawn to the car. I can tell you that the illuminated dash draws a lot more attention at night than a blinking charge port.

YES, I have seen this happen. If I lock the car, all lights and screens go out. However, once my "delayed" charging starts at the predetermined time I set it to charge, the small dash screen lights up and stays on. Only when you remotely unlock and re-lock will the small screen then turn off. It's a bug that hopefully will get fixed.

I'm on 4.5.61 and have caught this on a few occasions myself... I haven't seen it in a while but the last time I don't think it was right at the end of charging. I did the unlock/lock bit to get it to shut off last time but thought it seemed odd. Glad to know it wasn't my imagination!