Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got VIN today via text/email! App showed sensor indemnification with a proceed button that shows VIN.

Feels good to update signature with revised dates. :) [See below for model order history]
Good for you! Exciting stuff.

I do find it interesting that I ordered the day before you also in NJ with the same config except I got the tow hitch and no VIN for me. The inner workings of this system are certainly a mystery to me lol. My EDD still shows 3/2-3/30

MYLR, white/black/19"
OD: 1/20
EDD: Jan - Mar 2023 (original)
EDD: March 3 - March 31 (updated 1/25)
EDD: February 23 - March 23 (updated 2/14)
EDD: February 25 - March 11 (updated 2/23)
EDD: February 26 - March 11 (updated 2/26)
EDD: February 27 - March 11 (updated 2/27) (also got the "VIN expected in 1-2 weeks text")
EDD: March 8 - March 22 (updated 2/28) 🤣
Before I actually clicked the order button in January, I wanted the 20" wheels and tow hitch, but that was over the $55K cap for the tax credit at the time, so I decided to just leave everything at the base configuration. I considered adding the tow hitch later, but I didn't want to pay another $300 and have the vehicle taken apart by a service center for this purpose.

Since then, I've struggled almost daily with leaving the wheel covers on the 19" wheels, taking them off, having the wheels powder coated, or buying different wheels. I prefer like the looks of the 20" wheels, but I prefer the smoother ride, slightly longer range, and lower cost of 19" tires. Although there are more disadvantages than advantages to the 20" wheels, I decided that appearance was most important.

I plan to replace a Ridgeline with the Model Y and while I very rarely haul anything that requires an open bed, I do occasionally haul a bicycle, lawn mower, lumber, appliance, etc. I have alternated between a truck and a sedan or SUV a few times over the years and always ended up missing the convenience of having the ability to haul something without relying on friends, family, co-workers, or paying and waiting for delivery. A tow hitch would allow me to attach a bike rack or tow a utility trailer to meet my hauling needs.

This morning, I decided to change from 19" to 20" wheels and add the tow hitch. I edited the order from the website and it kept my original pricing. My current EDD hasn't change yet - it's still March 8-22, but I won't be surprised if it changes. I'm holding out hope that the full $7,500 tax credit will be still apply so that I won't cancel.

Before I actually clicked the order button in January, I wanted the 20" wheels and tow hitch, but that was over the $55K cap for the tax credit at the time, so I decided to just leave everything at the base configuration. I considered adding the tow hitch later, but I didn't want to pay another $300 and have the vehicle taken apart by a service center for this purpose.

Since then, I've struggled almost daily with leaving the wheel covers on the 19" wheels, taking them off, having the wheels powder coated, or buying different wheels. I prefer like the looks of the 20" wheels, but I prefer the smoother ride, slightly longer range, and lower cost of 19" tires. Although there are more disadvantages than advantages to the 20" wheels, I decided that appearance was most important.

I plan to replace a Ridgeline with the Model Y and while I very rarely haul anything that requires an open bed, I do occasionally haul a bicycle, lawn mower, lumber, appliance, etc. I have alternated between a truck and a sedan or SUV a few times over the years and always ended up missing the convenience of having the ability to haul something without relying on friends, family, co-workers, or paying and waiting for delivery. A tow hitch would allow me to attach a bike rack or tow a utility trailer to meet my hauling needs.

This morning, I decided to change from 19" to 20" wheels and add the tow hitch. I edited the order from the website and it kept my original pricing. My current EDD hasn't change yet - it's still March 8-22, but I won't be surprised if it changes. I'm holding out hope that the full $7,500 tax credit will be still apply so that I won't cancel.
I hear you on the original order. I missed the $52,990 window and ordered during the $53,490 window after they jacked the price the first $500 after the big price drop. That meant only 1 option was available to me staying under the (at the time) $55K price cap for the tax incentive. So I went with the hitch and ordered white/gray leather seat covers instead of ordering the white seat option. I also wanted blue or MSM color, but had to stay with the white. I thought about editing my order and even got a text from SA saying the limit had been raised to $80K and feel free to order. I just didn't dare risking pushing my delivery date out since we have to leave for Maine (from AZ) soon after our delivery window and if it got pushed, I'd have to cancel and already sold my truck so I've have to panic buy whatever I could find for an ICE/hybrid and there's just about nothing on hand at over a dozen dealers in Tucson or Phoenix. So I admire your courage to edit your order 6 days from your delivery range early date! Hope it works out for you. I'm staying with the 19's for the ride and will likely take the ugly wheel covers off "around town" and only install them for long trips like when we go from AZ to ME. Keep us posted on how it goes with your changes!

Since then, I've struggled almost daily with leaving the wheel covers on the 19" wheels, taking them off, having the wheels powder coated, or buying different wheels. I prefer like the looks of the 20" wheels, but I prefer the smoother ride, slightly longer range, and lower cost of 19" tires.
You can find wheel covers online for the 19 inch wheels that look exactly like Tesla's 20 inch wheel covers. Obviously you have to do some research to make sure your car's efficiency isn't affected much or at all.

I swapped out the wheel covers and it was actually an easy process (watch some YouTube videos on it). I pulled out the existing Tesla ones, carefully cleaned the dirt on the car's rim with warm water and microfiber towels, and then put on new black wheel covers.

• Informative
Reactions: erktrek
For folks who took the delivery...do you get 'SAE J1772 Charging Adapter' along with the delivery?

I just noticed that the loot box icon appeared next to my profile picture in the top right portion of the app. Did Tesla just update the app? I don't remember it being there earlier.
Hi @Vomhorizon ,
I did not see someone answer your question. It is something where you will see 'credits' that you can use to purchase stuff from Tesla site when someone uses your referral to buy a Tesla vehicle or Solar panel. Tesla had a good referral program where using a reference would have given you free supercharger miles, which ended sometime last year. You will see your referral code once you receive your vehicle on a computer when you log on. For some reason, I could not see the referral code in the phone Tesla app. Good luck!

+1 I actually considered getting Ridgeline for the same exact reasons - need to haul staff, not constantly but often enough to make it annoying asking friends, family to borrow their tracks. So, I ordered tow for my MYLR and plan to buy/rent/borrow trailer and mount bike rack to remove the need to take off/on front wheel on my mountain bike every time I go to the hill.

Reactions: amo2u and zroger73
Lots of people here judging people for curbing their wheels, "you must not know how to drive" "I've been driving 50 years never once curbed a wheel" etc..., I spent about 1k to do a really nice black chrome PVD on the stock model 3 19" wheels for my wife, wasn't too long I noticed curb rash, I probably gave her too much crap about it because not a week later I had two spots! one from turning in a driveway too soon and another from pulling up to a curb, Moral of the story, No judgement here!
Best advise I have ever gotten is "Stay away from drive thru windows, this includes bank ATM teller drive thru"

For folks who took the delivery...do you get 'SAE J1772 Charging Adapter' along with the delivery?
Many who had taken delivery earlier in February had mentioned they did get it. Haven’t seen mentioned in recent delivery recaps, but hope that hasn’t changed.

I got mine.