Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm right there with you. I've already had a wall charger installed as well.
Nice! I bought the Tesla Charger and a NEMA 14-50 outlet (ideally for non-Tesla vehicle auto charging) and am waiting on my electrician to come over and set them up for us. Our garage is detached and while there is an underground conduit it would have to be replaced so we will probably just use a overhead hanging wire instead.

Reactions: ev4robert
I can understand few days here and there but this doesn’t justify for people waiting with OD 1/13

Ordered 1/14, Gray ext, black int, no extra, 15 minutes from Fremont factory. No VIN yet. Have been watching many people with end of Jan/Feb OD receive VIN and get their cars delivered. Although I am happy for all of you, I am losing patience, not necessarily because of the car not being delivered, but for not receiving any concrete information. Contacting Tesla via text to make sure there isn’t something wrong with my order only returns canned responses.

The issue is that the order date and their EDD seems to mean nothing (It changed 10+ times from the original EDD of end of Jan, and continues to change) and this only causes issues with expectations. Based on the EDD, I had financing ready, which has now expired and wasted a hard credit inquiry for both my and my spouse’s credit. In addition, lost the lower APR loan as rate keeps increasing, and potentially losing 1/2 of $7k tax credit, etc., etc.

Received a text on 2/21 saying, “Great news, we expect your VIN will be assigned in the next 1–2 weeks. Review and finalize your registration, trade-in and financing details in your Tesla app”. Nope. The credibility is already lost and I am not running another credit until I hear something concrete.

Thanks for listening to me venting. That helped. :)

Hi all, I think I read previously that the Tesla App can be deceiving and that we should check on the computer to ensure all pre-delivery tasks are completed to avoid delay. I completed everything: insurance, nothing to trade in, including payment (yes - a risky move). Delivery appointment is shown on the app. However, I still see the message 'Complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery' in the app right under the delivery appointment date and time. I checked Tesla account on the computer but I cannot see if anything is still outstanding. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I texted the 510 # that had texted me after ordering (I'm assuming my SA) and I had the same "complete your tasks to avoid delays in delivery". They checked my account and said it was all set to go, no worries. So that is a "normal" message. I'm doing 3rd party finance so thought there might be something I had missed. Once the VIN comes, that'll change and I'll have the financing and insurance tasks to complete.

Reactions: greenearth2129
Seems like Tesla preventing you from going inside car before accepting delivery is becoming a bit more common (happened to me too).

Your Tesla location doesn't have a service center/shop where it can fix the issues? Also, I don't think I've had any draft coming from the door while driving slower speeds locally and faster speeds on the highway (have also driven with AC/Heat system on and off).
They have service, but they were closed when we picked up the car.

Congrats on the delivery.

I have ordered the same exact configuration on 01/14 and till date haven't been assigned VIN.

Its very frustrating that my order is delayed, while the same exact order placed few days after me got delivered, that too in a location hundreds of miles away from the fremont factory. Moreover my delivery location is Fremont itself.
Sorry you are being delayed. I am sure that is terribly frustrating, especially being so close.

This speaks to the chaos that is the ordering/factory build/assigning to order process.. again would be nice if Tesla actually provided some regular communication then we wouldn't feel like we were in Limbo and having to second guess everything. Even a "Hey while your EDD hasn't changed yet exciting things are happening - here's what is going on..." message every once in a while would go a long way to alleviating the "ajada"...
What they need is something on their website that says "Now serving customers with order date XX/XX". Keeping in mind that as you read some of the questions and comments on here... you just know some of these folks have shot themselves in the foot and are never going to mention that, like not completing tasks or changing their orders etc. But, if you knew they were currently sending out VIN's to people who ordered on 1/25, you'd have some idea where you were in the pecking order. But I also think location plays into delivery as well and they're trying to fill train cars and hauler trucks by having things coming off the line in time to maximize efficiency on shipping as well (no idea why the guy who lives in Fremont would wait longer than others!). And yes, communication would be huge.

Reactions: Lady
I figure Bay Area orders are generally the last to be fulfilled in a quarter for revrec reasons. I'm fine waiting, its the teasing (torturing?) that I don't like.

Ordered 1/14, Gray ext, black int, no extra, 15 minutes from Fremont factory. No VIN yet. Have been watching many people with end of Jan/Feb OD receive VIN and get their cars delivered. Although I am happy for all of you, I am losing patience, not necessarily because of the car not being delivered, but for not receiving any concrete information. Contacting Tesla via text to make sure there isn’t something wrong with my order only returns canned responses.

The issue is that the order date and their EDD seems to mean nothing (It changed 10+ times from the original EDD of end of Jan, and continues to change) and this only causes issues with expectations. Based on the EDD, I had financing ready, which has now expired and wasted a hard credit inquiry for both my and my spouse’s credit. In addition, lost the lower APR loan as rate keeps increasing, and potentially losing 1/2 of $7k tax credit, etc., etc.

Received a text on 2/21 saying, “Great news, we expect your VIN will be assigned in the next 1–2 weeks. Review and finalize your registration, trade-in and financing details in your Tesla app”. Nope. The credibility is already lost and I am not running another credit until I hear something concrete.

Thanks for listening to me venting. That helped. :)I

Thanks. What is strange is that the Taptes Floor mats recomended above had such mixed reviews, but then I found the below link and their reviews are mostly all good. However they are out of stock just as your recomendation is also.

I don't get my car until (hopefully) end of next month. I'll see about pre-ordering these mats.

TAPTES Floor Mats Full Set​

The Spider 3D Mats are the best in my opinion.

Reactions: Yomanjm
I prefer a bit more subtle look so ended up getting these LDCRS's:

They're a bit more expensive at $170 and available. They look nice but I currently have no idea how well they fit since I don't have my vehicle, ymmv. ;)
I got these as well for front and 2nd row. Went with 3D Maxpider for the cargo liner and 2nd row seat back liner

Reactions: erktrek
I can understand few days here and there but this doesn’t justify for people waiting with OD 1/13

As you and others have mentioned, it looks like Tesla doesn't solely go by OD to fulfill Tesla orders since there's SO MANY different factors that could relate to VIN assignments, EDDs, delays, etc. (1-2 people posted a good list of those factors some pages back)

You could have 1 person who ordered early waiting for Tesla to custom make/send their car from the factories whereas another person who orders later ends up getting assigned a car from existing inventory near their area. Some people also change their configurations to try getting assigned a car to inventory that gets added (for MY it looks like the more expensive options). Same thing could apply for 2 people who custom ordered their car and are still waiting on VIN assignment and EDD.

Definitely sucks though :(

Reactions: erktrek
The day you take the car off the dealership parking lot is what irs will consider. Nothing else

PS - As of 2/25. Don't come at me if IRS decides to change the rule on any date after 2/25 🫣
The sale qualifies only if:
  • You buy the vehicle new
  • The seller reports required information to you at the time of sale and to the IRS. (might be worth asking your SA if you can "buy" the car before delivery day. Tesla's MVPA would have to reflect that "sold" date. My conjecture, not Tesla based.)
    • Sellers are required to report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS for you to be eligible to claim the credit.
In addition, the vehicle's manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) can't exceed:
  • $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks
  • $55,000 for other vehicles
MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.
Source: IRS at: Credits for New Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service

Guys has anyone installed wall charger yet? I’m guessing some of you already had…I’m hearing there’s an EV charger tax credit for upto $1000 or 30%. Is this right that I’m hearing?

Same story, OD 1/14 Gray/white.
EDD pushed out 4 times so far.

Tower 2.24% pre approval expired, charger installed, accessories are delivered.

Reactions: bdhaduk and Lady
Guys has anyone installed wall charger yet? I’m guessing some of you already had…I’m hearing there’s an EV charger tax credit for upto $1000 or 30%. Is this right that I’m hearing?
We spent about 1500 on the Install plus Wall Connector at end of 2022 and got 30% back on our 2022 taxes. Whoop 🙌
It’s off of the Charger plus install and the same thing applies to solar panels ;)