Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canada will not pass a TWC connected to a circuit rated for less than 48 amps continuously because the charger CAN be reconfigured to pull that much current.

A TWC connected to a 50A breaker using 6/2 Romex or 8 AWG THHN won't pass in Canada, but it will in the US.
Very Interesting. My luck and I would get that one overzealous inspector who would fail me because the charger CAN be configured that way. Who knows, I could still fail the inspection on Tuesday 🙃 I will try to remember to ask him if he would pass me in the event I installed 8awg on a 50 amp breaker if I showed him in the app where I had manually reduced the output of the charger to a 40amp max....

Reactions: msinfo
Im in NY, LI pickup. Ordered date feb 3 for MYP edd 3/3 - 3/31. Seems MYP may arrive quicker
Thats the hope but MYP orders from a week or more ahead of your (same as mine) OD have not received VIN's so we cannot rule out an EDD change to late March to April even for MYP's ordered early February..just as it happened to several MYLR orders last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek
I wonder if Tesla's delivery estimates account for the number of people who place orders for vehicles then end up not buying them for various reasons including, but not limited to:

• Unable to pay for the vehicle by the time of delivery (insufficient cash or equity, not qualified for financing, etc.)
  • Changed mind (decided not to buy, bought something else, etc.)
  • Unacceptable quality
  • Vehicle didn't arrive in time
  • Tax credit falls from $7,500 to $3,750

I can see a number of cancellations happening for that last possibility.

A three-month or even a one-month delivery window estimate seems wide to me - it may be accurate, but it's certainly not precise. :) Tesla knows how many vehicles they can build and they know exactly how many orders are placed. The second you place an order, you should have an EDD accurate to within a week, if not a day. Now, I understand that EDDs can and will move depending on a lot of factors such as weather, parts shortages, labor shortages, etc.

Let's say you're a cake decorator that can make 4 cakes per day. You normally get orders for 4 cakes per day on average and maintain a backlog of 20 cakes. If someone orders a cake today, you know that cake will be ready a week from now. If the government starts subsidizing cakes resulting in a sudden demand increase to 8 cakes per day, but you can only make 4 cakes per day, the lead time for each new order can be easily calculated to the day. Because demand becomes twice production capacity, each passing day add two days to the backlog. At some point, the backlog will become too great and one of four things will have to happen:

• You'll stop taking orders
  • You'll raise prices to curb demand
  • Customers will not purchase the cake because the wait time is too long
  • You could increase production capacity, but that would involve an expensive and time-consuming kitchen remodel and you run the risk of the demand falling and your operation becomes less efficient because you have too much production capacity.

I work for a company that manufactures industrial machinery. Unless something major and expected happens, we know down to the week when your order will be ready months before it is actually manufactured. Sometimes delays happen, but we adjust the delivery date if and when those delays occur. Sometimes, we even deliver orders ahead of schedule if raw materials arrive sooner than expected and our labor force is more productive than usual for some reason.

Hmmm…your logic is sound… but… everyone is picking up the cake same location, you source your supplies probably from a single (maybe 2) suppliers, your manufacturing time for the cake is a few hours, and you can run the bakery 24/7 for a period of time. You don’t know to swap out your oven when you decide to change the design of your cake, etc. The point being - there are 1000 reasons they cannot be precise - if you have ever factory ordered an ICE vehicle - it is something similar (April-May) - it’s not May 21 @ 2:32PM. I don’t disagree they could tune their model and AI could make a closer prediction - but not sure they would ever get to precise until the vehicle is at the delivery location. I’ll be excited when I get my VIN - as at least then I’ll know it’s real.

I think that since you're in Austin, it's perfectly understandable if that's where your car is being built. The further you are from the factory, the longer the lead time. My car was built on 2/14 and is expected to arrive at the SC on 2/27, and I still don't have a delivery date.
i keep wondering how the hell people know WHEN their car was built. Can anyone enlighten me? is there a VIN lookup for that?

Reactions: TheSodaSaga
What is your OD ?
i keep wondering how the hell people know WHEN their car was built. Can anyone enlighten me? is there a VIN lookup for that?
I picked this one up out of inventory on 2/15. I saw it on waitingfortesla.com where the build date was posted.

That's a day shy of two weeks from build date to pick-up in Ohio. I'm guessing if it had been a custom order, they would have told me the VIN on build date. I could have scheduled pick-up for a day earlier, but I'm busy that day.

Reactions: Sohaib89 and BailMY