Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be taking delivery of my MY LR from Fremont next week. VIN PF7876xx. My SA confirmed it has HW3. I would think about postponing delivery but we specifically need the car for a function in about 2 weeks. I’m not too worried about it. I never plan to get FSD and I doubt HW4 is going to solve phantom braking and the other things that currently irk me about HW3. And hey, at least I’ll get the matrix headlights and comfort suspension that I wouldn’t have gotten if I had ordered this time last year, like I was originally planning.
you sure MY LR now gets matrix headlight? I thought only MYP has it.

they all with HD radar
That doesn’t seem to be the news

(HW4 is “capable” of handling inputs from “phoenix” radar which is much better than current radars apparently, but there is still NO radar in new Model Ys with HW4) - that at least was my understanding. Maybe they give the option to pay and have radar added on at a later time to those without any radar but have HW4. Please update if it’s the other way from anyone with new Ys that have HW4

From what I’ve seen, the MS and MX do have radar on HW4, MY doesn’t

Musk said it’s not needed lots of times. He’s also said HW3 will be capable of FSD, just not quite as good as HW4. So maybe they’re trying to differentiate the premium cars from the mainstream models and MS and MX get a higher quality or safer version, just like cheaper cars might not get curtain airbags all round the cabin but top of the range cars do. I’ve not seen anyone write this up in that way.

I just made an account to give my own update on my Model Y purchase.

Long Range, Silver, Black interior, 19" Wheels, 7 Seater, Tow Hitch

I ordered about 2 weeks back and noticed my VIN was F788xxx, before the range of VIN #s we've read about including HW4.0

Delivery windows was set for June 2 - June 8.

I called today to put on hold. They released my VIN and said June 1st, the day before my delivery window, I'd be issued a new VIN. At that point I could call back and put it on hold for the full 14 days.

I will report back when the new VIN is issued and let everyone know what it was updated to.

Sharing out very interesting article about Model Y, HW4 and radar! (esp shorter term strategy and enhancements) —

It’s still confusing to think about the purpose of HW4 (which had capability to assimilate radar) in Ys and not having radar (and say that Tesla will allow retrofit of radars into HW4 Ys down the line IFFF.. it’s actually a temporary supply issue).

TL;DR - confusion :)

How will 2 Ys with and without radar perform as far as FSD/even basic AP is concerned - seems like it’ll create more issues in supporting 2 versions of their live operational systems and divert their energy. Interesting way to operate though.

If only Elon cleared this confusion favorably for those with this ‘in between’ hardware using his favorite Twitter!!