Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the movement of Supercharging Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to chime in here with my 2 cents... I regularly enjoy the morning with a cup of coffee and checking for Supercharger updates. There is just a certain joy of watching Tesla slowly build out a nationwide network. Why not just do a "Supercharger" subforum with "Charging Standards and Infrastructure"? The Superchargers would be separated from the other charging threads and would prevent clutter. Everybody wins.

Hear, hear!

There are many who follow the Superchargers on a continental basis, and are interested in long distance travel and connectivity that transcends the regional forums. The regional forums are interesting, but having to wade through the local meet ups and Tesla store openings can get old after a while.

Creating a "North American Supercharger" subforum with "Charging Standards and Infrastructure" seems like the best and most useful option to me.

Agree with much of the sentiment that I dislike the new categorization. It was always easy to find out which SuperCharger was seeing the most action as it was at the top of the thread. I am not going to search through each regional thread. Waste of time. Moderators, please reconsider going back to the old way. Who was it harming?

Hear, hear!

There are many who follow the Superchargers on a continental basis, and are interested in long distance travel and connectivity that transcends the regional forums. The regional forums are interesting, but having to wade through the local meet ups and Tesla store openings can get old after a while.

Creating a "North American Supercharger" subforum with "Charging Standards and Infrastructure" seems like the best and most useful option to me.
+1. With the old system, I had one forum to come to, and I could watch the network growing day by day. There's no way in hell I'm going to search all the regional threads; I might as well just rely on supercharge.info for that, and that's assuming Blueshift has the time to check all of them regularly.

Yes, please go back to the old way, or alternatively, created a new sub-forum. I relied on this sub-forum to find out about new SC sites in the US and their progress. I no longer have that ability. This was the first place I would go to on TMC.

FWIW, a quick count of this thread shows --

- 10 users (not including mods) saying the like the new system
- 13 users asking for the threads to stay together as they were
- 4+ users asking for the threads to stay together but in a new Supercharger subforum

so 10 saying keep it as is, 17 asking for those threads to all be in the same place (either here or a new sub).

almost 2 to 1? statistically significant? =)

FWIW, a quick count of this thread shows --

- 10 users (not including mods) saying the like the new system
- 13 users asking for the threads to stay together as they were
- 4+ users asking for the threads to stay together but in a new Supercharger subforum

so 10 saying keep it as is, 17 asking for those threads to all be in the same place (either here or a new sub).

OK, you are poking at the mathematician in me...
No, this is not significant at all. Sample size (out of 22k subscribers) is way too small.
More importantly, you are ignoring the significant reporting bias. I.e., people who like the new structure are significantly less likely to speak up in general or to even read this thread...

I would be happy if simple SCs progress updates were posted on a single thread on this board. Ideally one post for licensing request spotted, licensing approved, construction begins, construction done but waiting for transformer hookup/approval signoff, online. Or have supercharge.info reflect those status changes instead.Those that want more up to date info / pics then could go to the regional threads.Just a suggestion. I don't own a Tesla, I live far from any hopes of a supercharger or Tesla sales (Brazil).

No. Speaking as a member (I'm not a mod anymore) it's worth noting that:

a) some of the folks who like to follow this don't even own supercharger capable cars (yet). Their interest is curiosity and not as a user.
b) as a user I'm interested in the Superchargers near and around me, I.e. It makes a lot of sense to have them sorted by region.
c) when planning a long distance trip it was impossible to plan anything looking at a list of 200 threads. I started at the Tesla Supercharger map and now it's easy to go to the regional sections and find a thread quickly and easily.

So while I respect that some folk like to peruse the supercharger development nationwide, it's really useful to have them sorted by region. Sorry, I feel that practical usefulness trumps general interest.

So I am now having to open all the regional forums to look for supercharger posts. Hopefully when people find a new supercharger they'll mention it with a link to the regional thread in the Tesla Supercharger network thread. The Supercharger Progress wiki also has links to threads for individual superchargers - I think the old links will be automatically redirected to the new location.
I just don't get it! All you have to do is review "New Posts" and look for any thread title with the word Supercharger in it. Then subscribe to that thread. Done. Over. Forever.

a) some of the folks who like to follow this don't even own supercharger capable cars (yet). Their interest is curiosity and not as a user.
b) as a user I'm interested in the Superchargers near and around me, I.e. It makes a lot of sense to have them sorted by region.
c) when planning a long distance trip it was impossible to plan anything looking at a list of 200 threads. I started at the Tesla Supercharger map and now it's easy to go to the regional sections and find a thread quickly and easily.

So while I respect that some folk like to peruse the supercharger development nationwide, it's really useful to have them sorted by region. Sorry, I feel that practical usefulness trumps general interest.

a) Specifically, I have been to both (East and West) coasts in my car.
'13 trip to East Coast was accomplished in the Wild primarily using RV Parks longest distance traveled in one day 495 miles.
'14 trip to West Coast was almost total opposite: primarily used Superchargers after I reached Salinas, KS, traveled to Squamish, BC and back. I am a long distance traveler and use this thread to review viable travel Options, and don't yet have the luxury of being connected to the Supercharger Network.

b) I am genuinely interested in the bigger picture for the development of Superchargers, much more than my own back yard, because there is a whole more to the world than just Texas and Louisiana.
Question: How many times has a new Supercharger in North America just "appeared", without any previous indication or notice? Recently Greenville, AL, Independence, MO and London, KY come to mind. How else would these have become common knowledge?

c) Respectfully, No. It is highly possible to review multiple threads inside one subforum and plan accordingly.
For everyone who currently lives on the bigger Supercharger Network: good for you.
For someone who sees this thread as the Genesis of a a total Network and its development, and a possible Link for trips from Disney Land to Disney World (in a nearly straight path), there is a lot of pieces and sequence of pieces which still need to occur.
Potential paths to go to Cactus League Spring Training or NCAA March Madness become a lot more viable with current and breaking information.

Last edited:
I agree that as a browser rather than a user - no SC near me yet - the old format was much more interesting. I could obsess about chargers in remote (from me) locations, just because it was interesting to see what was going up this week. Now too many clicks are required to get to the discussions.

I just don't get it! All you have to do is review "New Posts" and look for any thread title with the word Supercharger in it. Then subscribe to that thread. Done. Over. Forever.

It's hundreds of New Posts to scan through per day - so I just open up the 10 applicable regional threads instead. I'll survive but it does make it harder to feed my obsession with the expansion of the supercharger network.

- - - Updated - - -

Proof that everything else got buried by the unsortable mass of supercharger threads? ;-)

Proof that the supercharger threads belong together under their own subforum Charging Standards & Infrastructure / North America / Superchargers ;-)

Perhaps these people are on the fence about whether this car would fit their needs based on range anxiety and the consolidated thread shows the progress of a NATIONWIDE buildout and as a result from not having to search through half a dozen regional threads could get a sense of how rapidly this buildout is happening? I fall generally into that category. I have a MX on reservation but until several holes in the SuperCharger network are filled, I would not even consider placing a firm order. I am sure I am not the only one who may not be an owner yet, but can very much be influenced by what we read here and how easy it is to find it. Bottom line, this forum is valuable for enthusiasts, prospective owners and owners alike.

Perhaps these people are on the fence about whether this car would fit their needs based on range anxiety.... I fall generally into that category. I have a MX on reservation but until several holes in the SuperCharger network are filled, I would not even consider placing a firm order.

Fair point. So you know where the deal breaker holes are for you and I'd imagine it's easier to target that region(s) rather than wading through numerous pages of different threads.

Tesla's new blog today confirmed 2,000 Superchargers now at 400 sites. Seems to me still that having some logical order is better than 400 threads in one section.

(LMB spouse)

I agree that the move makes sense for many. Then there are the hard-core Supercharger fans who check for new Supercharger updates way too often. Is there any way to do that efficiently now? Thanks.Is there any way to do that efficiently now? Thanks.

In case this hasn't already been mentioned, most if not all the Supercharger threads have been tagged "Supercharger". If you find one that has not, you can add the tag yourself at the bottom of the page when viewing the thread.

Here's a shortcut to all threads tagged Supercharger, regardless what forum they're in.

www.teslamotorsclub.com/tags.php?tag=Supercharger

Bookmark it if you're a "Supercharger junkie."

That to me is the key. There are just so many of them. And even more being built. Grouping by region simply makes sense.

I agree that once a supercharger is open, any discussion of it tends to just be of regional interest. Until such time as the supercharger network approaches geographic completion, though, I think upcoming superchargers (of which there tend to be 20-30 at a time) have broad interest to Tesla owners and enthusiasts across North America. I'll amend my previous suggestion: have a Charging Standards & Infrastructure / North America / Upcoming Superchargers subforum and then move the threads within that subforum to the regional area once the superchargers are open.