Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the media situation so far (No CD player in Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
since going digital I don't even know where half my CD's are anymore, same for DVD's for that matter! Gradually they have gone the way of vinyl in our house... I don't buy them any more, barely have anything to even play them on. have you tried bluetoothing Spotify? I'm a Pandora fanatic but all my friends tell me Spotify is the way to go for hearing what you want when you want to.

Well the cigarette loving crowd and how carmakers deal with them is a perfect example for what I suggested with the CD drive - make it optional at least.
Every carmaker here e.g. offers to either have the "smoker's package" (i.e. ashtray and cigarette lighter) or like in my car the "nonsmoker's package" (i.e. 12-Volt outlet and small item holding area instead of the lighter/ashtray combi).

Maybe it's a german thing then, because there is no such option for the Leaf.

It's unfortunate that Tesla's Sound Studio package doesn't include a CD player! That would be a no-brainer.
Totally disagree. I don't want or need that in my car. Furthermore, I wouldn't have wanted to (a) pay extra for it as part of my Sig-nearly-everything purchase nor (b) Tesla to spend money on it without raising my price.

I think it's hilarious that anyone would complain that a CD player is missing... What is this 1999????? I guess I started using mp3's before they were popular. In fact I used to record mp3's to casette so I could listen to them in the car. Why would you want to be limited to 6 different albums when you can have you entire music catalog at your finger tips? If you've never ripped CD's before it's pretty painless. Insert disc into drive, click button, done.

I guess that is what happens when early adopter meets early majority.

That's an attitude I really hate about some "young" people, sorry to say.
Just because CDs have been around since 1980 they are still not an outdated medium. Hell, even Vinyls are becoming ever more popular again!
The more "things" are made "invisible" (Music as files, often just streamed, Cloud computing instead of physical hard drives in your computer, audio books instead of real books, etc.), the more many people feel an urge for more physical stuff again. Perhaps not people like you, but many others, myself included. I like to look at my CD collection, choose a certain cherished album, marvel at the cover art and the effort that went into the booklet (yes I like to hold it in my hand instead of looking at it on a screen - how old school and backward), then take out the CD/SACD and pop it into my high-end sound system and listen to music at its best possible quality.
The thought of listening to some compressed (best streamed) music "soundalike" makes me shudder. If you want to poison your ears, fine by me, if you want to ruin your eyes by only using computer screens anymore, fine as well. I am happy to not have to bring myself to that.
I still read physical books.
I still listen to music on oldfashioned media like CD or Vinyl.
I still use a PC instead of a tablet.
I still use a mobile phone, not a smartphone.

Ok, so this makes me an "old" guy, backward, out-of-time, possibly retarded even, because I haven't seen the light of total dependence on online services, rip-offs like Apple or other institutions that just want to sell me stuff all the time, at their own disgression, right?
If the answer is yes, then I am happy to be such an old guy from ages ago like 1999. Perhaps I should return to my cave now... :rolleyes:

If you've never ripped CD's before it's pretty painless. Insert disc into drive, click button, done.
Yep. It became that easy many years ago w/software like Musicmatch Jukebox and iTunes coming later. There are obviously many others.

I remember the crappy old days of many CD-ROM drives not supporting DAE while some were real slow or unreliable at it. Then, I had to use random utilities to rip to .WAV then a command line transcoder which took forever on CPUs of that era. One had to name their songs right manually and organize them. Then, sync/copy to MP3 player software was pretty lousy and early flash-based MP3 players had pitiful storage (had a Diamond Rio PMP 300 then 500).

My receiving a free click-wheel 20 gig iPod thanks to TiVo rewards points (program long defunct) along w/using iTun changed everything for me.

As mentioned before, there are services to convert your CDs to mp3, FLAC...etc so if you have a few hundred CDs and don't feel like doing it can take advantage of that. I went through all of my CDs in a day. You don't need to stand there and watch it convert the CDs so really just popping a CD in, walking away, and taking it out then putting next one in. At some point I imagine almost no cars will have built in CD players so you'll have to do this anyway.

I don't think such services exist here, at least I have never heard of any. Then again, I wouldn't send all of my CDs to some service anyway, hell knows how they would treat them, if some were lost in transport, etc. And above all that I should have to pay quite some money for something that isn't really much use to me.
And of course I know how to rip CDs in general, I have done it with some for years, it's just up to now I didn't see much sense in it as I don't use music files a lot.
And if one day no car had a CD player anymore, I could still just listen to radio. It's not that I would absolutely need my own music in my car at all, since listening to music in a car is just an add-on anyway. One should concentrate on driving first and foremost. That is why I don't mind that my changer in the trunk has just 6 slots (plus the seventh CD that can go directly into the player in the dash). And playlists or cover art I don't need either while driving. What for? As mentioned above, I concentrate on driving my car, watching out that none of the other idiots on the roads kills my family and myself with their driving style - often neglecting traffic for using their mobile, searching for songs in their playlists etc. Many accidents happen because people don't focus on driving. I don't think a big screen with album art and thousands of song titles to choose and constantly change helps focussing on traffic...

Last edited:
then take out the CD/SACD and pop it into my high-end sound system and listen to music at its best possible quality.
The thought of listening to some compressed (best streamed) music "soundalike" makes me shudder.
Why are you assuming that you have to convert/compress the audio when transferring it from CD/SACD to USB key?

All my CD tracks were ripped as raw WAV files and stored directly on my USB key.

I still read physical books.
I still listen to music on oldfashioned media like CD or Vinyl.
I still use a PC instead of a tablet.
I still use a mobile phone, not a smartphone.

But you don't read on scrolls? But you don't listen to music on 8-track? But don't use a typewriter? But you don't use a landline phone?

You do like advancements in technology, but just what you're used to. A lot of us are no different. We just like the latest and greatest.

But you don't read on scrolls? But you don't listen to music on 8-track? But don't use a typewriter? But you don't use a landline phone?

You do like advancements in technology, but just what you're used to. A lot of us are no different. We just like the latest and greatest.

Of course I use a landline phone as my main means of communications. My mobile phone is for emergencies or when I'm underway.
But you're right, I like what I'm used to.
And I like new tech, when I see an advantage for me. DVDs are a perfect example. Before them I had quite a few (i.e. around 300) VHS tapes (bought as well as self-recorded). I also had several audio cassettes with music/audio books. But from the getgo I hated that rewinding/forwarding and the bad quality. When CDs/DVDs became available, they were (and still are imho) the perfect medium. Instant access, high quality, and with DVDs the option to listen to films in several languages, with or without subtitles, watch bonus material etc. So I switched from VHS/audio cassettes to DVD/CD. I also have some BluRay discs, but no films that I already have on DVD, as the quality difference often isn't very noticable (at least with those films/series I have, which are often not of the best quality source material).

I just can't see any advantage for me in media files (especially cloud/streaming services) and therefor don't see them as "the latest and greatest".

The MS offers a bevvy of tech options. We have the internet radio options, USB, bluetooth, and satilite radio. I regularly stream Pandora, Google Play, and other services from my phone and with AD2P the album art work shows on the screen along with the ability to switch between tracks and play/pause. Short of playing physical media the car really has everything.

I am a little bit biased since I haven't actually listened to a physical CD in years though so it isnt something that I miss at all.

The MS offers a bevvy of tech options. We have the internet radio options, USB, bluetooth, and satilite radio. I regularly stream Pandora, Google Play, and other services from my phone and with AD2P the album art work shows on the screen along with the ability to switch between tracks and play/pause. Short of playing physical media the car really has everything.

I am a little bit biased since I haven't actually listened to a physical CD in years though so it isnt something that I miss at all.

Interesting! Does this work well for you? If that's the case, and you have an LTE-capable phone, it pretty much kills the need to have an LTE-enabled Tesla from the get-go!

Interesting! Does this work well for you? If that's the case, and you have an LTE-capable phone, it pretty much kills the need to have an LTE-enabled Tesla from the get-go!

I have a LTE phone so streaming is easy via bluetooth. Both the car and my phone are AT&T so if one doesn't have a good signal both don't.

With this being said, you have to modify the Pandora app to make it send art work over AD2P when using android. It's easy to do and there are instructions on the Web. The iPhone app does this automatically.

And I like new tech, when I see an advantage for me. DVDs are a perfect example. Before them I had quite a few (i.e. around 300) VHS tapes (bought as well as self-recorded). I also had several audio cassettes with music/audio books. But from the getgo I hated that rewinding/forwarding and the bad quality. When CDs/DVDs became available, they were (and still are imho) the perfect medium. Instant access, high quality, and with DVDs the option to listen to films in several languages, with or without subtitles, watch bonus material etc. So I switched from VHS/audio cassettes to DVD/CD. I also have some BluRay discs, but no films that I already have on DVD, as the quality difference often isn't very noticable (at least with those films/series I have, which are often not of the best quality source material).

I just can't see any advantage for me in media files (especially cloud/streaming services) and therefor don't see them as "the latest and greatest".
In addition to higher quality "at purchase", DVDs and CDs offer sustained high quality -- i.e. there aren't the warping and corruption effects that VHS and cassette tapes had.

Similarly, one advantage that you can readily see (heh) with USB/SSD rips of DVDs is that you can scratch a DVD and it's ruined (100% loss of quality). This can happen quite easily when dropping or simply handling the discs repeatedly. I have zero examples in my personal history of ruining a USB key by handling it or dropping it whereas I have dozens of examples for DVDs and CDs.

It usually only takes a few seconds to convert the wav files from a CD to flac. The tools I use automatically do this when ripping CDs. I just pop in a CD and out pops a folder full of flac files. The ripping itself takes much longer than the conversion. With flac I can store twice as much on a USB key with no loss in quality.