Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2k for pearl white when most other manufacturers don't even charge extra for pearl white. Or like $500 more tops if they do. 2k is pretty ridiculous, especially when black is the only default. If they have a Basic white similar to the black I would have just bought that, and tesla probably knows this which is why they make the most hard to maintain color, and color that is the hottest in the sun the default option.

From what I read tesla paint isn't even that good so your paying a premium for paint that is just "ok"

Yeah has nothing to do with the fact that solid black is an easy paint to put on a car while metalic paints require multiple applications.

@Asymmetry if you want to go back and disagree with all my posts from a day ago go right ahead, real mature.

edit: haha he disliked this post too.

Oh. It's the WRX guy who doesn't own a Tesla but hangs on Tesla forums to bash Tesla's.

He's still stuck in the mentality that if he modifies his WRX enough, it will be better than a Model 3.

2k for pearl white when most other manufacturers don't even charge extra for pearl white. Or like $500 more tops if they do. 2k is pretty ridiculous, especially when black is the only default. If they have a Basic white similar to the black I would have just bought that, and tesla probably knows this which is why they make the most hard to maintain color, and color that is the hottest in the sun the default option.

From what I read tesla paint isn't even that good so your paying a premium for paint that is just "ok"

What gets me is the size. This is a compact car. I have a metallic tri-coat with 4x the surface area to cover... $595. This is like Apple... you can buy the cell phone in putrid black, or spectacular bronze kiss color for $100 more (even though it doesn't cost us anything more). Raising the price is fine, but you should NOT do it to people who already put down a deposit on the promise of a $35k vehicle. 35k 35k did Elon say that enough times? 35k 35k.

What gets me is the size. This is a compact car. I have a metallic tri-coat with 4x the surface area to cover... $595. This is like Apple... you can buy the cell phone in putrid black, or spectacular bronze kiss color for $100 more (even though it doesn't cost us anything more). Raising the price is fine, but you should NOT do it to people who already put down a deposit on the promise of a $35k vehicle. 35k 35k did Elon say that enough times? 35k 35k.

When I put down my reservation deposit, I could not reserve the colour.

What that said, I am curious if the base Model 3 really will be offered for 35 k$.

If not, any remaining shorts will go into a frenzy.

Except Apple charges the same price for all their colors...
Fun Fact: Apple used to charge 100 more for black plastic macbooks. This was before they became a juggernaut, lol. Also noticing if you want a black keyboard/mouse/lighting connector you have to buy an iMac Pro, they don't offer it separately.

EDIT: They do offer gray/black keyboard and mouse separately, it costs more though.

Fun Fact: Apple used to charge 100 more for black plastic macbooks. This was before they became a juggernaut, lol. Also noticing if you want a black keyboard/mouse/lighting connector you have to buy an iMac Pro, they don't offer it separately.

EDIT: They do offer gray/black keyboard and mouse separately, it costs more though.
Not sure where that guy is coming from. Do you want the boring gray apple watch? Or do you want the awesome space black apple watch? They function the same, cost the same to make, which do you think costs more?

Not sure where that guy is coming from. Do you want the boring gray apple watch? Or do you want the awesome space black apple watch? They function the same, cost the same to make, which do you think costs more?

Who cares? We are talking about cars not watches. Never mind my charge port door has more surface area to paint than a watch.

See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

5 Of The Most Expensive Automotive Painting Options

You specified cell phones, not watches. And all of the colors of Apple Watches cost the same with the same material. Space Gray is aluminum, Space Black is stainless steel. You're not paying more for the color, you're paying more for the premium material.

Leather seats function the same as cloth, does that mean you shouldn't pay more for leather?

• Helpful
Reactions: xyeahtony
When I put down my reservation deposit, I could not reserve the colour.

What that said, I am curious if the base Model 3 really will be offered for 35 k$.

If not, any remaining shorts will go into a frenzy.
The shorts are already in a frenzy over the announcement that Tesla may go private. Serious short squeeze in progress. Don't think they are worrying about the delay of the $35k Model 3 anymore...