Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.
I have no issue with those prices for premium paint. They are cheap compared to competitor's paint options. I DO have a major problem with them offering 1 basic "free" color, that's a total joke and is unheard of across the industry.

I have no issue with those prices for premium paint. They are cheap compared to competitor's paint options. I DO have a major problem with them offering 1 basic "free" color, that's a total joke and is unheard of across the industry.

this is literally untrue. most competitors only charge between 500-1000 for paint. The A4 for example only charges 575$ for most colors. the BMW 3 series only charges 525$ for multi coat paint options.

you and others on this forum dont have to defend tesla for every single thing, fact is that 1500 for paint is roughly triple what competitors are charging. frankly i think this is something temporary because Tesla is desperate to turn a consistent profit and the pricing is ridiculous otherwise.

Indeed. I'm not sure what's worse - having had 2 blacks and 2 whites, a general paucity of interesting colors, or now only having one non-upcharged color (ain't nothing free about a Tesla).

Not that I would own a cargo van white car any more than I would own livery black. The pearlescent white has grown on me, I have to say. The OCPP brings out a certain... depth - which is nice. It's not as interesting as the steel grey (renamed midnight silver) was, which had flecks of blue in the metallic - really nice in the sun.

I'd pay for a proper British racing green, something a little darker than the RIP titanium, or a really good blue (see Volvo or Porsche). Solely due to years of deprivation in the available palette otherwise :).

Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla turning a profit and investing in new products (Semi, Pickup, Y, Roadster 2, etc.) depends, of course, on people being willing to pay lots of money for cars. I think most of us want Tesla to succeed and change the world for the better.

There's nothing really wrong with black as a car color. If someone wants a different color, that's really a "want" and not a "need". Tesla has no obligation to keep color prices at a given level.

$5000 for AWD seems reasonable when you consider that it also comes with significantly faster acceleration.

That said, I'm glad we already ordered our blue AWD Model 3! But these price increases won't be "make or break" for anyone who is really determined to order a Model 3 with AWD that's not black.

Tesla doesn’t even offer a transparent paint option probably so we can’t see through their lies ....

dammit I’m cancelling....

I’m cancelling my order.

Other manufacturers also charge more for Pearl White than other premium colors. Probably safe to say some paints cost more to apply or cost more in material. As Elon starts to have better understanding of his costs, you may see some fluctuations in the car costs.

He reduced the costs of the dual motor option and the performance model. Why didn’t you go ape crazy on this consumer cost saving “trick”?

I also heard a rumor that Elon is looking to make Tesla profitable instead of going bankrupt

I can see being pissed off if you're in the UK still waiting to configure or holding out for the SR version whilst watching the car options getting increasingly expensive.

I'm not excited for my turn on the wrong side of the Tesla price fluctuations when on January 1st Elon announces that all the cars are $3000 cheaper and air suspension is standard.

this is literally untrue. most competitors only charge between 500-1000 for paint. The A4 for example only charges 575$ for most colors. the BMW 3 series only charges 525$ for multi coat paint options.

you and others on this forum dont have to defend tesla for every single thing, fact is that 1500 for paint is roughly triple what competitors are charging. frankly i think this is something temporary because Tesla is desperate to turn a consistent profit and the pricing is ridiculous otherwise.

There a great graphic showing Model 3 July sales greater than combination of BMW 3, Audi A4, Mercedes C and Lexus IS.

Marketplace is telling them Ok to price a little higher.

Your call on whether to pay for it...:.

Are you buying one? Not sure why your so angry, its a little strange that your on a tesla forum to complain about pricing adjustments if your not planning to buy one

Fine. Tesla should just raise th base price from $35,000 to $37,000

Are you buying one? Not sure why your so angry, its a little strange that your on a tesla forum to complain about pricing adjustments if your not planning to buy one

Op already he owns a Model 3. Crying the whole time about how Elon forced him to wait in line. Forced him to confirm the order and forced him to sign the paperwork.

I bet he’s still resentful the Model 3 is not a literal spaceship and read too much into Elon’s tweeting.