Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Direct Line insurance issue for Model Y at policy renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Model 3 and traded this in with Tesla for a Model Y at the beginning of March (best trade-in offer hands down with no quibbles on delivery day).

My insurance is with Direct Line and the insured vehicle was changed during the policy year with an unexpected small refund.

However, my renewal is due in May and I received an email from Direct Line with the following text a couple of days ago. "Your car insurance for your TESLA MODEL Y is due to expire soon. We're not going to offer to renew your policy, - your car insurance will end at 12:00pm on 11 May 2022. You can find more information in the document we've saved in My Account. This will include details of any No Claim Discount you have and your policy claims record." Needless to say this came as a complete shock when nothing had changed in my circumstances and I was wondering if Direct Line were no longer going to offer terms for Teslas.

After a couple of calls which were getting nowhere I insitigated a complaint online and have just had a resolution provided to me.

When I changed the insured vehicle to a Model Y, Direct Line didn't have the Model Y in their system and it had to be manually input. Direct Line have just migrated to a new system (never a good thing!) and it turns out that as the car's model year didn't transfer onto the new system, the blank year field automatically declines renewal terms. This has now been recified in my case but if anyone else has an existing Direct Line policy to which they have added a Model Y just be aware that you are almost certainly going to receive the same refusal to renew email. I have been assured by the complaints handler that the staff are being made aware of the issue so if you do need to call they should know how to rectify it!

I had a Model 3 and traded this in with Tesla for a Model Y at the beginning of March (best trade-in offer hands down with no quibbles on delivery day).

My insurance is with Direct Line and the insured vehicle was changed during the policy year with an unexpected small refund.

However, my renewal is due in May and I received an email from Direct Line with the following text a couple of days ago. "Your car insurance for your TESLA MODEL Y is due to expire soon. We're not going to offer to renew your policy, - your car insurance will end at 12:00pm on 11 May 2022. You can find more information in the document we've saved in My Account. This will include details of any No Claim Discount you have and your policy claims record." Needless to say this came as a complete shock when nothing had changed in my circumstances and I was wondering if Direct Line were no longer going to offer terms for Teslas.

After a couple of calls which were getting nowhere I insitigated a complaint online and have just had a resolution provided to me.

When I changed the insured vehicle to a Model Y, Direct Line didn't have the Model Y in their system and it had to be manually input. Direct Line have just migrated to a new system (never a good thing!) and it turns out that as the car's model year didn't transfer onto the new system, the blank year field automatically declines renewal terms. This has now been recified in my case but if anyone else has an existing Direct Line policy to which they have added a Model Y just be aware that you are almost certainly going to receive the same refusal to renew email. I have been assured by the complaints handler that the staff are being made aware of the issue so if you do need to call they should know how to rectify it!
Thanks for posting this. I had the exact same email from Direct Line yesterday. After contacting them, they weren't any help though and said I had to find another insurer. The person who I spoke to had no idea of the system change causing this issue and insisted that the issue was with the underwriter.

I'll chase it up with them again on Monday, as they are definitely the cheapest for me. The next cheapest insurer for the Model Y is £200 more :O