Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difficulty solving BMS_a063 alert "unable to charge" at Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody - first time posting (hopefully I'm using the correct form)

I drive a 2022 M3LR in the USA with 7k miles. For the first 10 months of ownership the car worked perfectly.

4 weeks ago after heavy rain/snow/salt, I started getting CP_a051 which indicates a fault in the Charge Port door (it would not open when pressed). Tesla came to my house and installed a new Charge Port Door, and the problem was resolved.

A week after my mobile service, I stopped by my local Supercharger (V2) and could not get the car to charge. As soon as the current began to flow, I would get BMS_a063 "unable to charge. Disconnect and retry." I tried 6 different stalls with the same result. To ensure this wasn't an external supercharger hardware problem, I even tried a stall that someone had just successfully used.

I scheduled a trip to the Service Center. They connected the car to their Supercharger and it worked normally, so they tightened the Protective Ground bolts on the inside of the Charge Port and sent me away. Now I'm getting BMS_a063 right as the Supercharger reaches the charge limit I set. As soon as the loud contactors clunk and the charging stops, I get BMS_a063. So sometimes it prevents me from starting to charge, and sometimes it happens as the charge completes.

Level 1&2 chargers work normally. Perhaps this is a problem with the Proximity or Pilot pins communicating to the car while Supercharging?

I have seen several posts with nearly identical symptoms in the UK forum where the "3 Phase AC Charge Port W Harness" was replaced solving the problem. However the USA cars use an entirely different style of cabling behind the Charge Port.

Long story short, I scheduled another trip the Service Center, and I am curious if anybody has any experience with this issue. I have a cross country road trip scheduled for April, and I am nervous I'll get stranded at a Supercharger. I'm desperate to get this problem resolved ASAP.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla techs can look at the car's logs to figure out what happened but the logs are very big so they cannot just dig in and search. It helps them tremendously if you can give them an exact date and time when you have the problem. I suggest you go for another supercharger test and note the exact date and time. After that, enter a service request where you explain everything and give them that timestamp.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla techs can look at the car's logs to figure out what happened but the logs are very big so they cannot just dig in and search. It helps them tremendously if you can give them an exact date and time when you have the problem. I suggest you go for another supercharger test and note the exact date and time. After that, enter a service request where you explain everything and give them that timestamp.
In addition to what @GtiMart says, hit the microphone button and say "bug report". I've read that this takes a snapshot of the system and is available to the technicians.

That should indeed put a mark in the logs, that the tech should see when you tell them the timestamp.
Thanks for the "report bug" tip.

So far Tesla service has pinged my car twice to look for "errors" remotely. Both were done a few hours after I experienced the Supercharging problem, and Tesla said "we don't see any active alerts."

It looks like the BMS_a063 alert only remains active while the Supercharger is plugged into the car (see image below).
BMS_a063.png

Should I try contacting Tesla Service while the alert is "active" and the Supercharger is still plugged into my car?
I'll definitely "report bug" next time the error is "active."

It shouldn't matter if the error is happening now or happened in the past, the error happened and there should be a trace in the log.

What makes it more difficult is that you don't seem to be having any real problem... if I understand correctly you can charge just fine at a supercharger, you just get an unexplained error when it reaches the target SOC. What you are really asking is that someone explain that error... I would say it's not normal to get that error so you're asking how you can get rid of that error, or replace the faulty part if something's close to failing... I guess. Maybe phrasing it differently will help the service department help you better?

It shouldn't matter if the error is happening now or happened in the past, the error happened and there should be a trace in the log.

What makes it more difficult is that you don't seem to be having any real problem... if I understand correctly you can charge just fine at a supercharger, you just get an unexplained error when it reaches the target SOC. What you are really asking is that someone explain that error... I would say it's not normal to get that error so you're asking how you can get rid of that error, or replace the faulty part if something's close to failing... I guess. Maybe phrasing it differently will help the service department help you better?
You got half of the story correct.

It happens both ways:
- sometimes the car will charge normally and the error happens at the end of the charging session
- sometimes the error happens a few seconds after I insert the charge handle and it prevents me from charging

Obviously the second scenario is more concerning.
It seems to happen sometimes when current starts to flow, and sometimes when current stops flowing.

That is more concerning indeed, but intermittent problems are harder to diagnose. You might need to leave the car at a Service center for a while so they do a few tests. This requires a service request, with clear indication that sometimes it prevents you from supercharging.

I see you're in Boston. IMHO, this is Tesla's problem. Usually there are superchargers at the service centres - at this is the case in Canada. They should be able to test it there. The only other possibility, could be from the charger itself, at the time ?
Thanks for the reply. The first time I took the car in for service, they connected their supercharger and it worked normally, so they sent me home suggesting it must be faulty Superchargers. I am still having the problem. I even waited for a customer to successfully charge and drive away...then I pulled into that exact same charger. This should rule out a defective supercharger.....same problem again....

It feels like an intermittent problem that is difficult to diagnose and reproduce on demand - likely mechanical (loose connection in my car).

To rule out a bad supercharger you should at least go and try another location. Have you done that?
Not yet - but this is on my list of things to try. I'm going to try another V2 supercharger location - hopefully this weekend.

I have backed into a supercharger that another customer successfully used minutes before myself - but I have NOT tried a second location all together.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I see you're in Boston. IMHO, this is Tesla's problem. Usually there are superchargers at the service centres - at this is the case in Canada. They should be able to test it there. The only other possibility, could be from the charger itself, at the time ?

At least out here in southern california, at the service centers I have been to, they have Level 2 chargers (not superchargers). Perhaps its different in Canada as you mention.

With that being said, I do agree that it should be troubleshot by Tesla... but as someone who troubleshoots IT issues for a living, the more information you can give the person / people who are troubleshooting, the better chance of getting to a favorable resolution.

OP is on the right track in trying different superchargers, and perhaps capturing a bug report when the issue is happening in the car (and saving that picture they posted in this thread, and perhaps checking its meta data to get the time and date stamp it was taken). OP hope you get it sorted out. Let us know how it comes out (and welcome to TMC).

Last edited:
At least out here in southern california, at the service centers I have been to, they have Level 2 chargers (not superchargers). Perhaps its different in Canada as you mention.

With that being said, I do agree that it should be troubleshot by Tesla... but as someone who troubleshoots IT issues for a living, the more information you can give the person / people who are troubleshooting, the better chance of getting to a favorable resolution.

OP is on the right track in trying different superchargers, and perhaps capturing a bug report when the issue is happening in the car (and saving that picture they posted in this thread, and perhaps checking its meta data to get the time and date stamp it was taken). OP hope you get it sorted out. Let us know how it comes out (and welcome to TMC).
Thank you for the warm welcome - it’s always fun signing up to a new forum!

- My second service center visit regarding this issue is scheduled for next week.
- I was able to “Report Bug” today when the issue popped up.
- I’m going to drive to a few different supercharger locations this weekend.
- I already have video and pictures (with dates/times) of the problem happening.

Like you said, I want to provide the service center as many data-points as possible.
I’ll make sure to report back my findings - I plan to work the problem until completion.
I also welcome any additional insight :)

Thank you for the warm welcome - it’s always fun signing up to a new forum!

- My second service center visit regarding this issue is scheduled for next week.
- I was able to “Report Bug” today when the issue popped up.
- I’m going to drive to a few different supercharger locations this weekend.
- I already have video and pictures (with dates/times) of the problem happening.

Like you said, I want to provide the service center as many data-points as possible.
I’ll make sure to report back my findings - I plan to work the problem until completion.
I also welcome any additional insight :)

Im thinking you would have done more than regular "due diligence" by trying 2 superchargers. Of course if you want to try more you could, but I would think that:
====================
"I tried a couple superchargers, here and here, on this date and this date, here is a screenshot of the problem occurring at this time and this time, I did a bug report in the car on this date around X time"
===================

is waaay more than they would normally get from a customer as far as data toward looking into an issue. I dont work for tesla though, and TMC also not affiliated in any official way with Tesla.. im just a person online.

With that being said, I have been moderating this subforum for a while now, and dont remember seeing a thread with this type of intermittent issue. I have seen threads where inverters go out when people cant charge, and the reverse of what you are experiencing (L2 charging isnt working properly because of PCS issues), but dont remember anything quite like this one. If there is, I am sure someone will point it out though.

Im thinking you would have done more than regular "due diligence" by trying 2 superchargers. Of course if you want to try more you could, but I would think that:
====================
"I tried a couple superchargers, here and here, on this date and this date, here is a screenshot of the problem occurring at this time and this time, I did a bug report in the car on this date around X time"
===================

is waaay more than they would normally get from a customer as far as data toward looking into an issue. I dont work for tesla though, and TMC also not affiliated in any official way with Tesla.. im just a person online.

With that being said, I have been moderating this subforum for a while now, and dont remember seeing a thread with this type of intermittent issue. I have seen threads where inverters go out when people cant charge, and the reverse of what you are experiencing (L2 charging isnt working properly because of PCS issues), but dont remember anything quite like this one. If there is, I am sure someone will point it out though.
I also had trouble finding anything on this same issue.

I did find one post on a Tesla subreddit where a guy had the exact same problem, but he never resolved it.

I also found a post on the UK/Ireland TMC where a bunch of folks had a similar issue that was resolved by replacing the “3 Phase AC W Harness” between the Charge Port and the battery….however my USA car is not wired the same way as theirs.
I’ve had this BMS_a063 appear everytime I am finished charging. Bloody annoying.

• Informative
My charging problem is not yet solved, but I have some additional information to share from "service mode."

Below is a picture showing the alert descriptions.
As expected, I have a few BMS_a063 alerts.
I also saw the "VCFRONT_a530" alert, which was unexpected - I have no idea what this means.

IMG_3873 (1).jpg

The image below shows the "CP Fault Line" in the color red when the BMS_a063 fault occurs. Everything else looks OK.
Again, I'm not sure what any of this means yet.
IMG_3878.jpg

Hello everybody - first time posting (hopefully I'm using the correct form)

I drive a 2022 M3LR in the USA with 7k miles. For the first 10 months of ownership the car worked perfectly.

4 weeks ago after heavy rain/snow/salt, I started getting CP_a051 which indicates a fault in the Charge Port door (it would not open when pressed). Tesla came to my house and installed a new Charge Port Door, and the problem was resolved.

A week after my mobile service, I stopped by my local Supercharger (V2) and could not get the car to charge. As soon as the current began to flow, I would get BMS_a063 "unable to charge. Disconnect and retry." I tried 6 different stalls with the same result. To ensure this wasn't an external supercharger hardware problem, I even tried a stall that someone had just successfully used.

I scheduled a trip to the Service Center. They connected the car to their Supercharger and it worked normally, so they tightened the Protective Ground bolts on the inside of the Charge Port and sent me away. Now I'm getting BMS_a063 right as the Supercharger reaches the charge limit I set. As soon as the loud contactors clunk and the charging stops, I get BMS_a063. So sometimes it prevents me from starting to charge, and sometimes it happens as the charge completes.

Level 1&2 chargers work normally. Perhaps this is a problem with the Proximity or Pilot pins communicating to the car while Supercharging?

I have seen several posts with nearly identical symptoms in the UK forum where the "3 Phase AC Charge Port W Harness" was replaced solving the problem. However the USA cars use an entirely different style of cabling behind the Charge Port.

Long story short, I scheduled another trip the Service Center, and I am curious if anybody has any experience with this issue. I have a cross country road trip scheduled for April, and I am nervous I'll get stranded at a Supercharger. I'm desperate to get this problem resolved ASAP.

I also am driving a Model 3LR 2023 and got the same charging error in the Boston Area.
🥶

I think they both came at the Stoughton Stall but I don't RememBuH .. if they were both Stoughton. 2 nights in a Row. After I switched chargers it was fine.
Would have written off as an AnOmaLy .. but 2 nights in a row. If it happens again I will report dutifully back to this thread.

Reactions: IceMan8247