Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference Between the 2 body types of TSLA S 70?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I looked before posting this but didn’t see anything.

I’m looking at 2016 Tesla S 70’s and noticed there are 2 different body types what’s the difference between the 2? Is it just the way it looks, or does it have different features? Any help would be great. Thanks

I presume you're referring to one that has the large black oval front and the other with the front fascia that looks more like today.

2016 is a complex year with essentially three different main variants.

The black oval version, what some call the classic nose, was produced up through about mid-late April. It has AP1, first generation autopilot capable hardware. Interior has what some refer to as the yacht floor, or more and open storage tray on the floor between the front seats.

The revised front fascia started in late May, but has two significant subpopulations.

From late April 2016 until mid-Oct 2016 is the revised front fascia, but still AP1 autopilot capable hardware. The yacht floor was replace by a front storage console between the front seats. They HEPA filter was added along with what is referred to as biodefense mode. The front frunk is a little smaller, due to the space required or the HEPA filter system. The seats went through some revisions, plus there are some other more subtle exterior stying changes. The drive train is essentially common to the early, classic nose cone version.

Through most of this time there was a solid roof, and then the pano roof with large opening sunroof. There was also the option for coil suspension or an optional air suspension system.

Starting mid-Oct 2016 what was then called AP2, or the 8-camera vision based autopilot system was introduced. Common to the AP1 version is the forward facing radar and the ultrasonic parking sensors around the exterior.

In the second half of 2016 they first introduced the option for an all glass roof, similar to what is standard today. The solid metal roof was phased out, as well as ultimately the opening pano roof was eliminated.

More minor changes which happened the latter half of the year were the addition of USB charging ports and a cup holders for the back seat.

Upvote 0
I presume you're referring to one that has the large black oval front and the other with the front fascia that looks more like today.

2016 is a complex year with essentially three different main variants.

The black oval version, what some call the classic nose, was produced up through about mid-late April. It has AP1, first generation autopilot capable hardware. Interior has what some refer to as the yacht floor, or more and open storage tray on the floor between the front seats.

The revised front fascia started in late May, but has two significant subpopulations.

From late April 2016 until mid-Oct 2016 is the revised front fascia, but still AP1 autopilot capable hardware. The yacht floor was replace by a front storage console between the front seats. They HEPA filter was added along with what is referred to as biodefense mode. The front frunk is a little smaller, due to the space required or the HEPA filter system. The seats went through some revisions, plus there are some other more subtle exterior stying changes. The drive train is essentially common to the early, classic nose cone version.

Through most of this time there was a solid roof, and then the pano roof with large opening sunroof. There was also the option for coil suspension or an optional air suspension system.

Starting mid-Oct 2016 what was then called AP2, or the 8-camera vision based autopilot system was introduced. Common to the AP1 version is the forward facing radar and the ultrasonic parking sensors around the exterior.

In the second half of 2016 they first introduced the option for an all glass roof, similar to what is standard today. The solid metal roof was phased out, as well as ultimately the opening pano roof was eliminated.

More minor changes which happened the latter half of the year were the addition of USB charging ports and a cup holders for the back seat.
Yes! This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for the help, it will help me in figuring all of this out.

Upvote 0