Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3 always makes me think of the VW Beetle: a gorgeous design (imho) of a car of revolutionary importance and which beat any and all sales records. And so many people were in love with this 1930's design that many people continued to buy it long after it had become less practical, reliable, powerful or fun to drive (and had become more expensive) than any 1970's Toyota 1000 or so :)

I'm sure the interior design also had something to do with the Beetle's charm/success.

59coral-3.jpg

(credit to classicvws.com for the pic)

Last edited:
Maybe dash will be changed in 2 years?

No matter your opinion, love it / hate it / indifferent / wait and see before judgment (that's me) - I guarantee there's two years of production that are spoken for.

Pretty sure bottom 200,000 will be happy to take up the first 200,000 that want to switch to a Bolt, i3 or some other ice car.

All other cars will be spending way more time looking at the rear of the Model 3 as it passes them than the dash.

Something to be said for focus groups when it comes to user interfaces. Model 3 screen with critical and other information is less than convenient to the driver without taking full attention away from the road ahead. That's dangerous, period.

You should probably tell that to the dozens of millions of Prius drivers out there. Those millions of Prius drivers have no idea about how dangerous their central-mounted instrument cluster is!

To me, the ONLY complaint regarding the Model 3 dash is the screen mount method that makes it look like an after-market accessory. Other than that, the minimal nature is actually cool and very next-generation.

BTW, cant say I like the BMW interior. Many things going on there, too many curves and edges that serve no meaningful purpose - a bit like the BMW exterior. And if you extrapolate the BMW interior your end up with this type of a mess.

800x-1.jpg
Confusing, cluttered. Everything but the kitchen sink.

The way the Model 3's panel is loosely detached from the dash still makes me hope that's not the final design. Still appears much too fragile.
The inclusion of built in center console after having none by default in Model S and X makes me think that's also a tentative design, but it is much too late to change that.
I'm strongly considering leasing instead of buying for the Model 3, so my wife can get the improved version in 3-4 years.

Reactions: N5329K
My opinion on what the most badass would be is 3 landscape iPad screens laid side by side as the entire dash, controls and instrument cluster.

Though the S would be antisold to oblivion were this the case lol.

Reactions: GSP
I hope all this talk will make Tesla change its mind about the floating display. :)

I some how think it is functional, easy to install, and inexpensive and that was a goal. Think about the MS/X display and the intricate (I assume ) manufacturing that must be done with curves/angles and the trim for the mounting and the expense and time if it must be replaced or worked on. I would like to think a lot of knowledgeable people hashed and rehashed the pros and cons of this and decided the best course of action was to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).