Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver to ski resorts and back same day without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a Model S and want to know if I can get from downtown Denver to the ski resorts and back on the same day (and parking the car outside in the cold at the resorts during the day) with a 60D? I know I could go to the Silverthorne SC but that doesn't really work for Winter Park/Mary Jane and I have an RMSP+ pass this year. I'm also interested if anyone makes it to other resorts and back in a day without stopping in Silverthorne e.g., Copper Mountain, Loveland, A-Basin, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek?

If you have gone to any of these places I'd really like to know which ones, which Tesla, and what kind of load you were carrying e.g., 4 people and ski's on top or just yourself and skis inside?

Not all of the resorts seem to have destination chargers and I'm afraid someone will already be using it even if they do.

Thanks in advance!

You're talking about ~ 150 miles, or more depending on where in the metro area. Add 50% for the altitude incline, the temperature, and because you'll using the heat the whole time and you're at 225. The 60D is rated for 208 miles. I wouldn't trust it although I'm sure some adventurous person will say they've done it. The 85D and above get 270+ miles, which would be enough. But the 60D, I wouldn't risk it. Getting stranded is no fun and a tow truck to I-70 takes hours to arrive.

I have a place at Keystone. In my 85D, it's no problem back and forth from Lakewood, BUT I have an indoor parking spot, so the battery is warm when I leave. The "add 50%" from the above post really isn't necessary as you'll "subtract 50%" on the way home :)

In reality, in winter (dry roads), my 72 mile drive uses about 120 miles of range going there and 30 miles of range coming home. This is on a weekday when there's no significant traffic.

Re load, it's 1 or 2 people, no skis on roof (in the car with back seat down or already at destination), heater on 68 or less with seat heaters on.

I don't think that making that trip in a 60 is doable without some charging, you're dealing with cold temps, huge elevation changes and snowy/slushy roads. you should seek out a place to charge up at some to make the trip without it being a nail biter. even plugging into a 110 outlet while skiing would make things better.

You could park in the public garage and use their Level 2 chargers while you ski. I recall that Winter Park has a pretty good town shuttle system for skiing (but it's been 10 years since I have been there)

image.jpeg

Out of interest, how much range does sitting in dead stop winter traffic cost with the heat running? I70 gets that way every other (snowy) weekend as people come back and someone misses a curve on the way down.
when I was out there I rarely keep the heat on after getting it warmed up. I have the cold weather upgrade and the heated seats kept me comfortable without needing the heater.

Out of interest, how much range does sitting in dead stop winter traffic cost with the heat running? I70 gets that way every other (snowy) weekend as people come back and someone misses a curve on the way down.
Good question. I have had 8 hour trips to Vail, starting from Ken Caryl. I've sat for 4 hours parked on top of Vail pass, in a snow storm, at night. (Actually, been stopped in traffic both going through the tunnel and on Vail pass). I would turn the car off and on to keep us warm, (enough), with out burning all my gas. I love hearing from others who live here. I'm currently driving a petro drinker, but have a res in for a Model 3.

Barry - When doing my calculations I always exaggerate because I always want to make it home. I do my trip planning in "worst case scenario" mode :)
I agree with you, especially when it comes to the unpredictable nature of mountain driving. Just reported the stats I had for the OP.

If I were the OP, and planned to make day trips to Winter Park and not charge while there, I'd go for the 75D rather than the 60D.

Reactions: DÆrik
I live in the Springs and would have trouble making the round trip without charging so I recently contacted Copper, Loveland and A-basin to inquire about charging and to plug the destination charging program. Copper says they have two chargers in the parking lot that you supposedly can reserve with the chargepoint app but I couldn't figure it out and it would be a risky bet since there are only two, but I would need to pass silverthorne to get there so I guess I could supercharge on my way back. A-basin said they would consider charging and will look into it, but Loveland said maybe but definitely not this year. Also, monarch said they were interested, but again, not going to happen this year.
I plan on skiing many places this year (if the snow ever arrives), but for future years, the resort that installs a bunch of charging equipment will likely earn a season pass from me and my family!

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
I live in Monument and I am about to take possession of a 60D, I do plan on using Silverthorne SC. I would also like to contact the resorts about charging, the more inquiries may move them along. Who did you call or email?
Also, check out Ski Ormes Peak, then we wouldn't have to worry about the drive...

I live in the Springs and would have trouble making the round trip without charging so I recently contacted Copper, Loveland and A-basin to inquire about charging and to plug the destination charging program. Copper says they have two chargers in the parking lot that you supposedly can reserve with the chargepoint app but I couldn't figure it out and it would be a risky bet since there are only two, but I would need to pass silverthorne to get there so I guess I could supercharge on my way back. A-basin said they would consider charging and will look into it, but Loveland said maybe but definitely not this year. Also, monarch said they were interested, but again, not going to happen this year.
I plan on skiing many places this year (if the snow ever arrives), but for future years, the resort that installs a bunch of charging equipment will likely earn a season pass from me and my family!

If you're not stuck for long, say a couple of hours, it doesn't use as much range as might be expected, especially if you're not cold soaked to begin with. Plus the heated seats really help.

Good question. I have had 8 hour trips to Vail, starting from Ken Caryl. I've sat for 4 hours parked on top of Vail pass, in a snow storm, at night. (Actually, been stopped in traffic both going through the tunnel and on Vail pass). I would turn the car off and on to keep us warm, (enough), with out burning all my gas. I love hearing from others who live here. I'm currently driving a petro drinker, but have a res in for a Model 3.

I drive a high mountain highway in the winter a lot back and forth to my cabin. Here's what it looks like right now:

65 (1).jpg

Getting stuck with a road closure, and needing heat, is really easy to plan for. Just keep an old metal coffee container and a bag of tea light candles, and a lighter and matches tucked away in your vehicle. Even if you have an ICE and full tank of gas, you don't want to go to sleep in the car during a blizzard with the engine running -- that could be deadly. Here's all you need and you can get everything for under $5 at the dollar store:

Stuck in a blizzard? Here's an inexpensive emergency heating system

You'd be very surprised with how much heat is generated.

Last edited:
Data point from yesterday:

First ski day of the season for me. Left home, charged to 90% (240 miles). Parked in an indoor parking garage (60 F) at Keystone. Got home and had 80 miles remaining. Round trip was 145 real miles.

Took I-70 through the tunnel to the Silverthorne exit to get there. Took Loveland Pass to I-70 going home. Was about 20F when I left home in the morning. Was 5F at the tunnel, 13F on arrival at Keystone. On the way home, it was 20F leaving Keystone, -3F at the top of Loveland Pass, and 37F when I got home. Roads were dry on the east side of the tunnel. On the west side of the tunnel, there was about 1 inch of muck on the road most of the way downhill, until a few miles from Silverthorne.

Kept the car heater at 68F with the seat heater on 1. Sun kept the car warm (no window tint), so heater didn't work very hard (fan on 2 most of the trip, never higher than 4, on auto). Traffic was moderate going west and sat at a standstill near Empire for 15 minutes due to intermittent closures for rock scaling. No traffic coming home and averaged 75 mph.

I live in Monument and I am about to take possession of a 60D, I do plan on using Silverthorne SC. I would also like to contact the resorts about charging, the more inquiries may move them along. Who did you call or email?
Also, check out Ski Ormes Peak, then we wouldn't have to worry about the drive...

I am new to the area and never heard of Ski Ormes Peak, I will look it up.
For the ski resorts, I contacted their sustainability group if possible, otherwise just a general inquiry. Everyone got back to me in a day or two.
I skied Copper over the weekend and they have two ChargePoint chargers available and the parking is free. I got about 10 mph charging.
I also contacted the Hampton Inn in silverthorne about destination charging and they said they would look into it. I was not the first Tesla owner to ask. They said I could use a wall outlet if I was in a pinch, but I'm hoping more people contact them and they eventually join the destination charging program.

I also contacted the Hampton Inn in silverthorne about destination charging and they said they would look into it. I was not the first Tesla owner to ask. They said I could use a wall outlet if I was in a pinch, but I'm hoping more people contact them and they eventually join the destination charging program.
considering the fact that there is a SpC right there in silverthorne the need for destination charging isn't that great.

Thanks for the info on Ski Ormes Peak, I would definitely support a local skiing option. I wonder what their odds of success are?

If you're not stuck for long, say a couple of hours, it doesn't use as much range as might be expected, especially if you're not cold soaked to begin with. Plus the heated seats really help.

I drive a high mountain highway in the winter a lot back and forth to my cabin. Here's what it looks like right now:

View attachment 204185

Getting stuck with a road closure, and needing heat, is really easy to plan for. Just keep an old metal coffee container and a bag of tea light candles, and a lighter and matches tucked away in your vehicle. Even if you have an ICE and full tank of gas, you don't want to go to sleep in the car during a blizzard with the engine running -- that could be deadly. Here's all you need and you can get everything for under $5 at the dollar store:

Stuck in a blizzard? Here's an inexpensive emergency heating system

You'd be very surprised with how much heat is generated.
Canuck-your post is so timely! I live in Littleton, CO, but was just driving Hwy 4 this past Thursday. (I have a house in Tofino that I am putting up for sale.) The drive over was snowy, but coming back was fine. I understand the sinkhole they were working on got bigger and they had to close the road. I was in a rental.