Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dent Damage - What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked and came back to this dent! Someone must have backed into my Model S. Any advice on what I can do to get this fixed!? :-(
WP_20140117_14_21_00_Raw.jpg
WP_20140117_14_21_13_Raw.jpg

Damn looks like something big hit it and not a small car because that is pretty high up there. I think this will be an expensive repair compared to a paintless dent removal. You'll probably have to get it repainted.

I feel the pain because something like that happened to me too and I'm just waiting for some time for me to drop the car off at a shop. My rear bumper repair alone will cost 2k. Maybe because mine is wrapped too!?

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm pretty bummed about it. I had a 2 day detailing session planned for next week and now this throws a wrench in that plan.

I wish a clever dent fixer could pound it out because the paint isn't scratched - but I don't think that's possible because it's aluminum.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm pretty bummed about it. I had a 2 day detailing session planned for next week and now this throws a wrench in that plan.

I wish a clever dent fixer could pound it out because the paint isn't scratched - but I don't think that's possible because it's aluminum.

I would consider Tesla authorized repair facilities. Many of these already had aluminum repair experience prior to being involved with Tesla. However, anyone certified for Porsche, Audi, BMW or Mercedes aluminum repair should have the skill to fix your damage properly. We have repaired three Teslas so far here in Wisconsin and aluminum is very different than steel and requires a deft touch.
Scott Marshall
Marshall Auto Body

Would love if Tesla factory installed front & rear cameras as part of security feature, maybe high mounted in windshield and rear window for good hi-def panoramic views. And add access to the iphone app + enough memory in the hard-drive for a decent period of loop recording

Would love if Tesla factory installed front & rear cameras as part of security feature, maybe high mounted in windshield and rear window for good hi-def panoramic views. And add access to the iphone app + enough memory in the hard-drive for a decent period of loop recording

I wouldn't rule out paintless dent repair. I'd at least have a PDR shop take a look at it.

A dash cam with a rear camera would have taken a video of the incident and identified the culprit. That's precisely why I have this. The rear camera and front cameras are always on when I'm parked. The Inavi FXD900 rocks: HD images, sound, everything.

I ran into a rail end on into the top of my bumper and bottom of the hatch. I took it to a competent body shop in Oakland, CA. They repaired the bumper (had a hole in it) and unbent the hatch edge so you can't see it unless looking along the INside along the edge. In other words, you can't see it. Then repaint bumper and lower hatch. Cost about $1500.

I am way glad I got it fixed. On a car that is looked at, drooled over, coveted, fondled, shown at EV events, I could not "leave it" even if someone else did it. The repair shop was telling me that a dent is like seed.

What I am saying is, get it fixed at any body shop competent with aluminum. The pride of looking at such a gorgeous car, not having to ignore or wince every time you see it or show it, is well worth it.

And shop around. You will find a wide range of prices, and they are hard to justify.

I am ready to install a Blackvue 550 dual HD camera system (just received it yesterday) for just this reason. Full iPhone access, event recording, g-force sensors 3-axes, GPS.

I would get a second opinion on the repair, since it looks like a simple one and would not require battery related expertise. Some of the "authorized" repair shops are known to take advantage of their status. Any quality body shop can repair aluminum.

Since you're in LA they will send it to Avio Coach Craft. They've been working on Tesla's for years (the Roadster and now the Model S). They do great work, although they are not cheap and a bit slow. Just coordinate it with the LA service center and they will take care of getting it to Avio for you.

Since it's on a crease, area where the sheet metal is curved or bends, it makes the job tougher. But, a good PDR guy that knows how to work with aluminum should be your first place to go. Just make sure they don't crease the paint underneath. I've seen some dent guys do miracles on pulling the dent out, but they might leave sharp marks from behind the paint...and it shows up under the clear. If that doesn't do it, the proper thing is bodywork and re-shooting the entire trunk. Don't have a blend done...it'll never look right.