Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a lot of queue's went to build overnight as mine did also with a September 16th projected delivery. My delivery location is still up in the air here in Indiana as Ohio apparently just cracked down on Tesla for out of state car transactions. I am hoping they will deliver it to me but it's sounding like Chicago right now.....yuk!

Ray, I'm curious to know what type of crackdowns you are experiencing that might have you going to Chicago for delivery?

Just to add a data point to this conversation, I ordered my P85 the last week of August. I had to call my DS and get my delivery pushed back to late October from the end of September that it was shooting for to give myself time to work everything out. That's 30 days from order to delivery.

My VIN is 4,000 below yours and has not gone into production (confirmed mid-May). In your case, I'd probably expect it to get pushed back. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

RPO - my VIN is 50406 with deliver to CT and my vehicle just moved into Production today. Pickup is scheduled for June 19th. If your Vin is 48xxx and still not in production, my guess is that they figured your transportation time is less than mine to the east coast so I went into production before you. I bet you get deliver before Sept 30th for obvious reasons.

Easy for people to misinterpret that data and conclude that Model S sales are faltering ... when most likely it's because they were shipping to other markets.

Which is why everyone should always actually READ the information they post later in the page about August deliveries, since these notes are usually pretty spot on with the beat of Tesla. But alas, many people just see "600" and write their short articles about how demand is faltering, yada yada yada... sigh...

Tesla Model S: Tesla does not give out exact monthly sales… so we never know for sure what the monthly numbers total up to until their quarterly updates, but we do our best to keep our finger on the pulse of what is happening.

Unlike other (like all) publications, we don’t simply take an expected number of sales for the Model S given by analysts for the quarter and then divide it by 3 to get a monthly number and hope it all works out…we actually put in a little effort into the estimated number and attempt to explain what is happening behind the scenes. (and so far, it has worked out pretty good)

As foretold by the company, Summer of 2014 can loosely be translated as “no soup for you” United States when it comes to Model S deliveries. And true to their word, for August very, very few deliveries took place in the United States as Tesla focused on Asia

Not helping August sales was Tesla shutting down its Fremont assembly facility for two weeks in late July/early August in preparation for the upcoming Model X, and to expand Model S production by 25%.

Tesla’s original stated plan was that US deliveries were expected to go on hiatus through about the 3rd week of August – with 85 kWh US deliveries returning in full force in late August.

However, reality was that the factory shutdown/restart apparently didn’t go all that well and if you were expecting a new Model S sedan from Tesla in August…well, you probably didn’t get it. Reports of a delay of 1-3 weeks seem common place.

For August, we estimate maybe (big maybe) 600 Model S sedans were delivered. Even as we write this, we feel this is too generous.

On the good news front, production on the bigger/faster/stronger assembly line in Fremont is now going nuclear with laser focus on the United States as the end of the quarter breathes down the company’s neck.

Just about every American who was looking for a new Model S from earlier this Spring/Summer has a report in their hand that it is now ‘in production’ in some form or another and they are going to get it before THIS month’s end. September is practically guaranteed to be a blow-out month for the automaker.

Ain’t quarterly deadlines great? Must make for some really tired and stressed out workers at Tesla’s Fremont plant!

Ray, I'm curious to know what type of crackdowns you are experiencing that might have you going to Chicago for delivery?

My DS contacted me yesterday to say he wasn't sure if he could bend the rules and still make the delivery in Cincy or if the delivery would have to shift to another location because of Ohio laws regarding titling. And didn't ask for details but might be related to the temporary plates. I was supposed to hear back yesterday but still nothing.

@R2B ... another white P85 in the West Valley. I am in Goodyear. Hope to have my P85 built next week. I ordered a P to get it a bit early, guess that didn't work out. Vin 49903. Your vin is 5000 after mine and you would have gotten it about the same time. Still in the Queue.

@R2B ... another white P85 in the West Valley. I am in Goodyear. Hope to have my P85 built next week. I ordered a P to get it a bit early, guess that didn't work out. Vin 49903. Your vin is 5000 after mine and you would have gotten it about the same time. Still in the Queue.

Sweet man, congrats. I don't seem many (it's been months) on our side of town. Perhaps we'll see each other around!

Rick

Another Arizona data point...

Order placed 6/25/14. Confirmed 6/30/14.
Original Delivery "Late September", later set as 9/25/14
VIN 526xx
On 9/3, delivery date rescheduled for 9/28/14. DS says this appears firm.
Current Status is still "...entered production queue..." on dashboard.

RPO - my VIN is 50406 with deliver to CT and my vehicle just moved into Production today. Pickup is scheduled for June 19th. If your Vin is 48xxx and still not in production, my guess is that they figured your transportation time is less than mine to the east coast so I went into production before you. I bet you get deliver before Sept 30th for obvious reasons.

June 19th? Did you mean Sept 19th? I just went into production today for an east coast delivery as well, VIN 50411, but last I heard was 26th for delivery date. But, I was also told it wouldn't go into production until next week so perhaps I'll be around the 19th too. We shall see! Either way I know within a month I'll be driving it, and that makes me very, very, happy.

We're being told that delivery can be anywhere between 9/16 - 20. I think our DS is being careful. No more promises and I respect that. It really wasn't a promise to start out with, but the factory was doing well before the shutdown. I guess we expected everything was built into the delivery date and thought it could start right back up as it was before. I'm confident that the production line is getting up to speed. We originally had a delivery date for tomorrow (oh well), but this gave us more time to look into for the car. We did adjust appointments for aftermarket paint protection and tint based on what is now expected. Opticoat can't be done prior to our trip on the 23rd. But we may get it done while in Anaheim during a Disneyland visit. We certainly won't need it that day. Good to hear that people are being scheduled for car deliveries.

The delay is worse now. VIN 56xxx scheduled for November 1st is now looking at December.

Me too, 569XX. Was estimated "Late October", then scheduled for November 1, and as of this morning it says December. :cursing:

Watch it get moved to January and I miss the tax window....

What's interesting is that if you go to the Design Studio, new builds still say November.