Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day - @ Tesla or direct to home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working on scheduling delivery of a MS and they gave me the option to have it delivered to my house in MIchigan or to a store in Chicago or Cleveland. Is there a benefit to having delivery at the store vs direct to my house (besides 300 mile drive?)

the only benefit to taking delivery at the store is that they will walk you through the functions of the car, having it delivered means the truck driver meets you, takes the vehicle off the truck and maybe says have a nice day.

I have also bought recently from Cleveland as a Michigan owner. I don't think they gave me the option to deliver it to my home address, just the offer of paying for a one way hire car to collect the car, LOL

That said, probably a good idea to see and experience the dealership, meet the people, see the facility etc.

OP, there are other threads from folks in your same position you may want to explore. At least a couple previous owners in the past few months (one IIRC was a surgeon or something like that) posted and complained on TMC that Tesla didn't provide any instruction how to use their new expensive MS and went on about how they expected more from Tesla -- but IMHO it's all because they elected to have their new MS dropped-off at their home, which was their choice. :)

That being said, if you have not owned a Tesla before, I'd personally suggest making the trip to Chicago, perhaps staying over night, then letting Tesla do their thing the next morning, and you have the opportunity to in-person inspect and ask any and all questions you may have, then drive your new toy home. It's completely your choice, but Tesla's preferred delivery method is via a Service Center where they can give you the experience they intend for a new owner. If you decide to take delivery at home, that's great, and I consider it terrific that Tesla offers that option for new owners like yourself, but IMHO it's an "accommodation" with the considerations you should understand and acknowledge if you take that option.

Enjoy that new MS when it arrives -- no matter how you take delivery!