Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Dec. 6, 2022. The Good, The Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler Alert... it was mostly all good. ;)

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Most cars on the lot were Freemont. Only spotted one Austin.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
New cameras? I don't know.
None of the doors were difficult to open or close.
Was charged to 89% at pickup.
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.
Firmware update was last performed today! So I guess it is up-to-date.

Mailed off the Illinois Rebate an hour later.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

Couple of fitment issues. Misaligned back left tail light portion on the hatch.
i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

and another rear lower right window trim mismatch
i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻

Last edited:

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻
I’ve had my MYLR about eight days and my kids just discovered a feature I honestly did not expect the car, or any car, to have. You can change any seat in the car to a Whoopi cushion. You can also change the turn signal to a fart noise or have the car play fart noises outside the car with the apparently built in exterior speaker. I believe there are 7 different types of farts to choose from. Shorts ripper is popular with the kids but you should try them all. Good luck.

I’ve had my MYLR about eight days and my kids just discovered a feature I honestly did not expect the car, or any car, to have. You can change any seat in the car to a Whoopi cushion. You can also change the turn signal to a fart noise or have the car play fart noises outside the car with the apparently built in exterior speaker. I believe there are 7 different types of farts to choose from. Shorts ripper is popular with the kids but you should try them all. Good luck.
I like changing my horn to the goat sound. Too bad the NHTSA made Tesla stop the extra external horn sounds from being audible when car is in drive mode. Seems there are strict guidelines about what a horn can sound like. Oh well, we can still have fun when parked.

hey there. at the naperville location the cars are often delivered in groups of ten or more driven each by actual people. transport trucks can be hard to come by and damage can occur more frequently on the trucks. naperville is almost exactly 17 miles from the rail yard. (that’s why on the contract it says that there can be up to 50 miles on the odometer before you take ownership to accommodate other delivery distances.)

Now that you know that the cars are delivered in groups you can spot them sometimes. I saw it on 290 just the other day. all the cars still have QR codes still on the front left windshield, they are often the same model and the drivers usually stay pretty close together because they all have to wait to get picked up from the same van despite when they arrive at the destination.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
hey there. at the naperville location the cars are often delivered in groups of ten or more driven each by actual people. transport trucks can be hard to come by and damage can occur more frequently on the trucks. naperville is almost exactly 17 miles from the rail yard. (that’s why on the contract it says that there can be up to 50 miles on the odometer before you take ownership to accommodate other delivery distances.)

Now that you know that the cars are delivered in groups you can spot them sometimes. I saw it on 290 just the other day. all the cars still have QR codes still on the front left windshield, they are often the same model and the drivers usually stay pretty close together because they all have to wait to get picked up from the same van despite when they arrive at the destination.
As I was just at that store yesterday and asked I don’t think that’s the case. They have a small lot and all cars are delivered on a transport truck. The twist is that they have a storage lot 10 ish miles away where they are delivered.

Ordered April 19th.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Congrats on your new car! I will be picking up MYLR soon from Naperville as well. Is there a recommended checklist when taking delivery? What is good place to get Floor mats and PPF and Mudflaps? Also was it easy to apply for IL rebate?

Last edited:
Congrats on your new car! I will be picking up MYLR soon from Naperville as well. Is there a recommended checklist when taking delivery? What is good place to get Floor mats and PPF and Mudflaps? Also was it easy to apply for IL rebate?

Thanks! And congrats! I hope your experience will go smoothly there at pickup time. Our was decent, if looong. They were incredibly helpful. You will get some automated message about "touchless delivery instructions." Ignore that completely as it was some strange holdover from 2020/2021. Surprisingly, it wasn't busy when we were there last Tuesday. There was one test drive going on and I think it went well enough and looked like a sale was made. The checklist is here (below) but it was a year old, so you'll need to customize it a little to get it up to date. There are others, but most cover the same items:

navigate down to Vehicle Inspection Checklist and click that link that applies to your car

Floor mats. There are many. Most are good. The Tesla community is fantastic. The accessories are many -- probably wider and deeper selection of accessories than any car brand on the planet, save for vintage VW's. Keep in mind that 2023 Ys might be different in some ways, especially the back row. A different smaller footprint console and the seat frames might have changed from 2022. Make sure that if you order 2nd row that the vendor is willing to take them back if they fit weird, or make sure that the vendor has tested the floor mats/floor lines in both Austin and Freemont 2023 cars specifically. For my money, I always go with WeatherTech, and luckily, they're just "down the road" in Bolingbrook. Free lattes and cookies at their retail store -- can't beat that! It is most definitely worth the drive even if you don't buy anything. Very large and friendly showroom. 2023 floor liners will be available "soon." I am waiting for mine. For as much plastic and synthetics on display, there is very little chemical smell there. It is the only place retail that has as much of that type of product in it that my wife can spend time in. She's very chemically sensitive, so W.T. it is. Full disclosure is that I've done biz with the owner some decades ago and was/is best friends with one of the chief engineers there, so I am unashamedly biased. That said, most mats are very good and better than the free pieces of carpet that come with the car. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the O.E.M free floor coverings were as good as they are. Still -- worth replacing ASAP.

The Rear door PPF and front flaps are supposed to be complimentary. If they aren't on the car, make your first service request for them in the Sevice part of the app, which should be active as soon as you pick up the car, along with any refitment requests that might come up.

My wife did the Illinois rebate check paperwork for us. All I did was sign it myself and asked the Tesla SA to sign it on their line (have it pre-printed and with you). I mailed it the same day. Don't delay! Also, I don't know if we'll get the $4K rebate from the state. Funds may or may not have dried up. Worth the try, anyway.

Have fun with the new toy. I'm loving mine so far, and I discover something new every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: wishForEV

Ordered April 19th.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

FYI: The rubber cushions attached to the bottom of the hatch can be dialed in and out by turning them like a screw. Adjusting this should help with the apparent panel gap on the rear hatch. It took care of mine.

Ordered April 19th.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

When I read from your post “$3,750” and “Had a larger Bank check printed…” for some reason my mind pictured you walking into your TESLA delivery day with a large check for $3,750 like they use at fundraisers and ground-breaking ceremonies. You know—those huge cardboard checks…??? Don’t know why my mind went there. 🤣 😂

Thanks! And congrats! I hope your experience will go smoothly there at pickup time. Our was decent, if looong. They were incredibly helpful. You will get some automated message about "touchless delivery instructions." Ignore that completely as it was some strange holdover from 2020/2021. Surprisingly, it wasn't busy when we were there last Tuesday. There was one test drive going on and I think it went well enough and looked like a sale was made. The checklist is here (below) but it was a year old, so you'll need to customize it a little to get it up to date. There are others, but most cover the same items:

navigate down to Vehicle Inspection Checklist and click that link that applies to your car

Floor mats. There are many. Most are good. The Tesla community is fantastic. The accessories are many -- probably wider and deeper selection of accessories than any car brand on the planet, save for vintage VW's. Keep in mind that 2023 Ys might be different in some ways, especially the back row. A different smaller footprint console and the seat frames might have changed from 2022. Make sure that if you order 2nd row that the vendor is willing to take them back if they fit weird, or make sure that the vendor has tested the floor mats/floor lines in both Austin and Freemont 2023 cars specifically. For my money, I always go with WeatherTech, and luckily, they're just "down the road" in Bolingbrook. Free lattes and cookies at their retail store -- can't beat that! It is most definitely worth the drive even if you don't buy anything. Very large and friendly showroom. 2023 floor liners will be available "soon." I am waiting for mine. For as much plastic and synthetics on display, there is very little chemical smell there. It is the only place retail that has as much of that type of product in it that my wife can spend time in. She's very chemically sensitive, so W.T. it is. Full disclosure is that I've done biz with the owner some decades ago and was/is best friends with one of the chief engineers there, so I am unashamedly biased. That said, most mats are very good and better than the free pieces of carpet that come with the car. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the O.E.M free floor coverings were as good as they are. Still -- worth replacing ASAP.

The Rear door PPF and front flaps are supposed to be complimentary. If they aren't on the car, make your first service request for them in the Sevice part of the app, which should be active as soon as you pick up the car, along with any refitment requests that might come up.

My wife did the Illinois rebate check paperwork for us. All I did was sign it myself and asked the Tesla SA to sign it on their line (have it pre-printed and with you). I mailed it the same day. Don't delay! Also, I don't know if we'll get the $4K rebate from the state. Funds may or may not have dried up. Worth the try, anyway.

Have fun with the new toy. I'm loving mine so far, and I discover something new every day.
Thanks for great write up. That is very nice check list, I have downloaded the app. Great to know they are offering some PPF & Mud flap. ! PPF is something I have been considering, probably for the front side of the car, but seems expensive even for DIY kits. And thanks for the great tip to get the Rebate form prefilled(didn't think I need to take that to showroom)! Appreciate your help. I will check out Weathtech oulet too! Congrats on your new Tesla as well!

Finally I took delivery of my MYLR White/Blk, 19" wheels on Dec 13th evening. I had already looked at my car in the weekend. It didn't feel like 60+k buying experience! It was starting to rain, not many people in the showroom. Not even any walk through with the sales agents. But the bummer is that Tesla started to offer 10K supercharger credits from next morning.. I talked to someone and they are saying you don't qualify..! Bummer.

The issues I had with my car were:
- Panel misalignment around the right and front of the frunk.
- No matrix LED, but Cargo cover included
- Also another thing I noticed is that Rear door bins had removable protector in the bottom, but missing in the front Door...Wonder why only in the back?
- On the way to home, while waiting for Left signal, the Display went blank, then eventually came back on - ?Reset?

Also the ride feels little rough..! Not sure if it needs break-in time...!

Scheduled service.. Now need to get the all weather mats, etc...!

Finally I took delivery of my MYLR White/Blk, 19" wheels on Dec 13th evening. I had already looked at my car in the weekend. It didn't feel like 60+k buying experience! It was starting to rain, not many people in the showroom. Not even any walk through with the sales agents. But the bummer is that Tesla started to offer 10K supercharger credits from next morning.. I talked to someone and they are saying you don't qualify..! Bummer.

The issues I had with my car were:
- Panel misalignment around the right and front of the frunk.
- No matrix LED, but Cargo cover included
- Also another thing I noticed is that Rear door bins had removable protector in the bottom, but missing in the front Door...Wonder why only in the back?
- On the way to home, while waiting for Left signal, the Display went blank, then eventually came back on - ?Reset?

Also the ride feels little rough..! Not sure if it needs break-in time...!

Scheduled service.. Now need to get the all weather mats, etc...!
The reason the back door pockets have rubber “soles” and the front do not is because the rear door mechanical opening levers are below those rubber “soles” inside the door pockets while the two front doors have those plastic levers in front of the automatic window buttons.

I highly recommend the weather floor mats from the TESLA online store! I know a lot of people feel they are overpriced—and that may be—but I am very happy with the quality and fitment. Got them for the two front floors, the rear passenger floor, and also for the trunk floor (and lower floor) and frunk. I love them!

I also highly recommend this product…

VIN got assigned today for MYLR. $3750 credit and 10k supercharger miles being offered.
Should I wait it out for the new radar potentially being added in Jan/Feb 2023?
I know .. there is always something you can wait for.... it just feels like an HD radar would be a big one given the copious amounts of phantom braking I have experienced personally on teslas (when renting - Turo, others) on base autopilot.
Thoughts from this group?

Also curious how do I find out of it is a "new" VIN or a prior reject?

VIN got assigned today for MYLR. $3750 credit and 10k supercharger miles being offered.
Should I wait it out for the new radar potentially being added in Jan/Feb 2023?
I know .. there is always something you can wait for.... it just feels like an HD radar would be a big one given the copious amounts of phantom braking I have experienced personally on teslas (when renting - Turo, others) on base autopilot.
Thoughts from this group?

Also curious how do I find out of it is a "new" VIN or a prior reject?
More info: Fremont VIN. 2023 MYLR.
More context: I also do not NEED the car. I can wait it out but finding it hard to pick whether I should take the discount now, I will not qualify for any federal EV tax credit in 2023 OR wait it out for potentially significant changes coming very soon here (HD Radar) and because I do not absolutely need the car. I only drive ~5-7k miles a year btw.

More info: Fremont VIN. 2023 MYLR.
More context: I also do not NEED the car. I can wait it out but finding it hard to pick whether I should take the discount now, I will not qualify for any federal EV tax credit in 2023 OR wait it out for potentially significant changes coming very soon here (HD Radar) and because I do not absolutely need the car. I only drive ~5-7k miles a year btw.
I would say, if you are not holding order from earlier with lower price, you probably can wait. But it is going to be wild guess if the prices will go up/down next year, given the tax credit, more competition, and recession etc.!