Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Dec. 6, 2022. The Good, The Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler Alert... it was mostly all good. ;)

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Most cars on the lot were Freemont. Only spotted one Austin.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
New cameras? I don't know.
None of the doors were difficult to open or close.
Was charged to 89% at pickup.
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.
Firmware update was last performed today! So I guess it is up-to-date.

Mailed off the Illinois Rebate an hour later.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

Couple of fitment issues. Misaligned back left tail light portion on the hatch.
i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

and another rear lower right window trim mismatch
i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻

Last edited:
The door alignment you noticed is “normal” in that every Model Y I’ve looked at has this fitment so I don’t think they can do too much with it.

Mine had 27 miles on the odo and this was explained away as “we have to drive it from the rail yard to the transport trucks”. Yeah, that’s not 27 miles but whatever.

Fit/finish on my Fremont build was better than I expected, passable and much better than my 2018 car.

The car was delivered to me rather dirty and one thing I thought was dirt was actually a scratch on driver’s seat cushion… put in a service request for that which means taking the car back and hoping they don’t damage something else when repairing it.

The new suspension is enormously better than my 2018 Model 3 and noticeably better to me than the car I test drive in March of this year. Wind noise on the highway is a little worse than I expected but probably can live with it. Experienced the “booming” people have been complaining about. A bit irritating but the stereo is pretty good at drowning it out.

Mine didn’t come with Matrix headlights either even though I literally saw dozens of long range cars being delivered that had them. They must have gotten a shipment of the regular lights in when they built them in the last few weeks as mine was made Nov 22.

Last edited:
The door alignment you noticed is “normal” in that every Model Y I’ve looked at has this fitment so I don’t think they can do too much with it.
Thanks for your comments. Frankly, I'm more concerned with the back hatch tail light mess. The other tail light was acceptable. I'm going to look over a few more details before I send in the service request. I haven't read a for-sure method of identifying the comfort suspension as yet. Time will tell.

Where was "The Bad" ?
I was thinking there was a missing spare tire or something like that !!!
Haha! Yes. I guess it was the misaligned half of the left rear tail light and window trim, but hey, almost everybody has something like that, don't they?

So, altogether, it was... wait.. is there supposed to be a spare tire? There was this giant empty rectangular cavity under the rear deck! Oh no! :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Haha! Yes. I guess it was the misaligned half of the left rear tail light and window trim, but hey, almost everybody has something like that, don't they?

So, altogether, it was... wait.. is there supposed to be a spare tire? There was this giant empty rectangular cavity under the rear deck! Oh no! :eek:
Make sure to request the square wooden spare that should be included along with your PPF and mudflaps....
;)

Congratulations on your new car. Have you figured out how to bring it back from the future? ;)

[Moderator note: Thread title has been updated to indicate car was really delivered in 2022, not 2023.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments. Frankly, I'm more concerned with the back hatch tail light mess. The other tail light was acceptable. I'm going to look over a few more details before I send in the service request. I haven't read a for-sure method of identifying the comfort suspension as yet. Time will tell.
if it was the light on the part that lift then it is easy to adjust, if it is the one where the charger is then most likely the SC will not touch it for such cosmetic issue.

I find it disturbing that Tesla still can't deliver a car of equal quality of ANY Japanese or Korean made car.
And almost all of those cost thousands less.
It's not like this is a new model and they are suffering teething pains.
I think this has to do with assembly operations. Curious to see how these new EV manu coming out with their mass production products compare. Hard pressed to compare Tesla to Japanese/Korean factories who's been in the business in producing cars for a long time.

True, BUT NOT ELECTRIC CARS.
That is much newer to them than to Tesla.
I bought a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and fit and finish are perfect.
Same with my friend's Kia EV6.
Both have only been out for a year.
But you can't deny that Hyundai and Kia have both been in the car manufacturing business for ages. The ev tech is new for them, such as software and battery but we're talking about fit/finish of the actual car itself right?

But you can't deny that Hyundai and Kia have both been in the car manufacturing business for ages. The ev tech is new for them, such as software and battery but we're talking about fit/finish of the actual car itself right?
It's not even just that.

The Chinese and German factories seem to have markedly better quality than the US factories.

It could be a lot of things but work ethic, management practice, etc., could all be contributing to the poor quality of US Tesla assembly.

Did you have to sign the purchasing agreement before you were able to inspect the car? And can you pay with a check? It's my first Tesla, and I've owned many BMWs and Porsches before. All were paid by check at the dealership AFTER I was given the opportunity to inspect the car. I just got an email stating that my VIN is assigned. A SA wasn't assigned to me, nor any instructions on payment method or anything else. My MYLR is from Fremont.

Yes, talking fit/finish is heads-above Tesla. You can pick up your Japanese or Korean made car without having a sleepless
night worrying/wondering how your build quality will be. The interior materials are also much higher quality imo.

Did you have to sign the purchasing agreement before you were able to inspect the car? And can you pay with a check? It's my first Tesla, and I've owned many BMWs and Porsches before. All were paid by check at the dealership AFTER I was given the opportunity to inspect the car. I just got an email stating that my VIN is assigned. A SA wasn't assigned to me, nor any instructions on payment method or anything else. My MYLR is from Fremont.
You can pay by certified/cashiers check the day you pick up. I financed so they had my banks money before I showed up, but I didn’t give them my down payment until after I was satisfied with the car.

Congrats on the pick up. If you're car was in the lot for a week, then we could've bumped into each other if you picked yours up early. I got mine 3 days ahead of you. Anyway, I also have 17 miles on my Odometer, wonder if they test drive it before releasing to us? Mine was only 50% charged, really didn't care since I already have the 14-50 outlet at home since Feb 2021 -cancelled my order last year.

if it was the light on the part that lift then it is easy to adjust, if it is the one where the charger is then most likely the SC will not touch it for such cosmetic issue.

The charger immediate area is literally the most perfect I've ever seen in any model Y or 3. I work at an upscale grocery store, so I get to see the worst and the best made Teslas every day. My fitment build issues are pretty tame in comparison. Yes, it is the tail light portion on the hatch. It might be that the hatch itself is partly to blame too. I made the service request yesterday morning for thew two issues plus for them to add/install the promised rear door PPF and the front mud flaps. Waiting to see what the "estimate" will be. Appointment early next week. We'll see what gets done. I'm not expecing much, frankly. But it will give me an early idea how a Tesla service department works.

[Moderator note: Thread title has been updated to indicate car was really delivered in 2022, not 2023.]

Congratulations on your new car. Have you figured out how to bring it back from the future? ;)

Ooooh, thanks! Yes, I must have, What a great car! Must be the newest firmare and I stumbled upon some hidden time vortex easter egg. Maybe I'll live through the delivery experience all over again -- but I don't want to pay for it twice.