Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debretts Guide to Electric Vehicle Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
Quite amusingly Vauhall have commissioned Debrett's to produce an etiquette guide for EV charging.

Much of it quite reasonable, but I quite like the advice on suitable subject for smalltalk while waiting for a charger, There are some distinctly dubious statistics, apparently 40% of EV drivers find their vehicles to large to fit in charging bays, which seems rather odd to me.

Of course due to it's sponsor it misses the obvious advice that if using a Tesla SuperCharger as a third party you are required to doff their caps to any real Tesla owners, avert their gaze and address us as Sir/Milady.

There are some distinctly dubious statistics, apparently 40% of EV drivers find their vehicles to large to fit in charging bays, which seems rather odd to me.
Lots of electric SUVs which are trying to fit next to other electric SUVs in old charging bays designed for.. not SUVs. The model 3's are hardly "small", but they're at least not wide

Quite amusingly Vauhall have commissioned Debrett's to produce an etiquette guide for EV charging.

Much of it quite reasonable, but I quite like the advice on suitable subject for smalltalk while waiting for a charger, There are some distinctly dubious statistics, apparently 40% of EV drivers find their vehicles to large to fit in charging bays, which seems rather odd to me.

Of course due to it's sponsor it misses the obvious advice that if using a Tesla SuperCharger as a third party you are required to doff their caps to any real Tesla owners, avert their gaze and address us as Sir/Milady.
Cap doffing should also apply to the lower orders in 3 or Y when meeting legacy S or X. Know your place young whippersnappers.

EV etiquette should dictate that when we see a Model S or X slowly charging, compassion should be the overriding emotion.

Tesla have locked the poor souls into free Stuporcharging for life, stripped them financially with the initial purchase & ongoing out-of-warranty costs so they probably no longer have the means to charge any other way.

Buy them a sandwich/drink at the services or a few coins in the cap on the bonnet should be the most appropriate response.

Last edited:
EV etiquette should dictate that when we see a Model S or X slowly charging, compassion should be the overriding emotion.

Tesla have locked the poor souls into free Stuporcharging for life, stripped them financially with the initial purchase & ongoing out-of-warranty costs so they probably no longer have the means to charge any other way.

Buy them a sandwich/drink at the services or a few coins in the cap on the bonnet should be the most appropriate response.
Sadly true. If you see a tin and thermometer sketch, then I'll be collecting for my next set of headlights....
I stopped at Telford 11pm Sunday night on 20% and it did pull 137KW from a 150 KW charger so not too shabby for an older car.

Reactions: Tonyf and Drew57
And what, may I ask, would an American do with an etiquette guide, other than to misunderstand and mispronounce its contents, and yet somehow still think themself superior?

:)
Are you still made because we threw your tea in the harbor?

Kicked the British Army out and started our own country?

Mad because your Prince moved to California?

Last edited:
I‘d like to see some things in this document changed:
  • Queue to Line, pretty sure waiting for a turn was around long before the UK.
  • Trolly to Shopping Cart, it was invented in the US and we kind of like calling it a Shopping Cart.
  • The pictures are backwards, there are two sides of a road. One can drive on the right side or the wrong side.
  • Thank god the document doesn’t talk about a Car Park, Schedule or Tire.
  • Oh, and this is a bonnet. Why would you take that away from little girls?
IMG_0871.jpeg

Last edited: