Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery after 64,000 miles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Tesla model S P85+ had 64,000 miles on it in this summer (2023) and the battery died. I thought they were supposed to last at least 100,000 miles. I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane. Has anyone else experienced extremely short, battery life? Any reasons why a battery on a car that is lovingly driven would die? Have not done, extreme overcharging, left it outside in extremely hot or cold weather, or anything else I can think of that should’ve heard it. Technicians just said, “oh, sometimes this happens. They don’t have a guaranteed mileage life “. No help..,

Are you’re sure the HV battery is the problem? If the 12v shorted you’d also have a dead car. Or if your 12v charging system broke.

I second the request for a screen shot of the alert \ error. I assume your car is plugged in.
They said the 12V wasn’t the issue and I had to buy a new battery. Then, just had the eMMC recall repair done and next day the car won’t open or wake up or connect to app....

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
They said the 12V wasn’t the issue and I had to buy a new battery. Then, just had the eMMC recall repair done and next day the car won’t open or wake up or connect to app....
They said MCU was the problem after upgrading recalled eMMC. Tried to sell me a new $1750 upgraded MCU and a $1750 upgraded infotainment system plus labor, of course. I said I didnt want them—just want regular screen to work. Not sure what they did but everything is working except reverse camera which is hit snd miss.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
My 2014 Tesla model S P85+ had 64,000 miles on it in this summer (2023) and the battery died. I thought they were supposed to last at least 100,000 miles. I saw a comment by Elon Musk saying they would last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Having to replace a battery after 64,000 miles at a cost of $15,000 seems insane. Has anyone else experienced extremely short, battery life? Any reasons why a battery on a car that is lovingly driven would die? Have not done, extreme overcharging, left it outside in extremely hot or cold weather, or anything else I can think of that should’ve heard it. Technicians just said, “oh, sometimes this happens. They don’t have a guaranteed mileage life “. No help..,
who told you they were supposed to last 100k miles? i've read they average about 260k miles.

Upvote 0
Mileage+supercharging isnt that big problem. Even leaving the car fully charged or other bad practice wouldn't kill the battery instantly, it would just degrade it faster. Problem is bad design of umbrella valves, pyrofuse cover or others which alows moinsture to occur inside the battery. Only preventative measures like checking or drying the battery, changing the valves for a better/newer ones etc etc can prolong the battery life. That's it... Only in a minor % of cases it's some internal cell problem not caused by moisture I believe..

Upvote 0
My 2015 p85d battery died with no notice at 40,000 miles. Very limited supercharging as mainly charged in garage. I won’t buy another.

That's indeed your choice, but you knew when you bought it that you were running state-of-the-art technology.

Batteries have changed a lot since 2015. It was around 2018 when battery technology and lifetime stabilized and have become significantly more reliable.

Upvote 0