Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC charging on type 2 mode 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, Tesla most likely has the software set up right now so that you can't simply make your own adapter and expect it to work with CCS. When they release an adapter it'll be relatively trivial for them to just update the software.

Well, if trying to make a CCS extended-pins to CCS core-pins adaptor, you would need to intercept the whole protocol exchange and fake up these parameters (ie. you would need two greenphy PHY chips as well as your micro). And Tesla will probably come out with their own adapter in due course which would be much simpler (as they can tweak the car software to suit).

I think this stuff is more interesting just to get extra data out of the car when doing AC charging (if Tesla have bothered to implement it...), or possibly for a DIY CHAdeMO adapter.

No, I hadn't seen that, thank you. I was commenting based on SAE J2847-2.

Question now is where to find affordable hardware to run it on.

Unfortunately that link seems to be dead.

Yes of course there needs to be PHY's and some power supply stuff and probably some other passive components thrown in there as well.

Maybe this:
products:evachargese_devkit [I2SE - Powerline Communication & Home Automation]
Not so cheap though...

Try this link then:
http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j...3DZTqUBXNi0sFwDdRzwXt2w&bvm=bv.62922401,d.dmQ

Last edited:
Yes of course there needs to be PHY's and some power supply stuff and probably some other passive components thrown in there as well.

Maybe this:
products:evachargese_devkit [I2SE - Powerline Communication & Home Automation]
Not so cheap though...

There's also this one: http://www.devolo.com/uk/Smart-Solutions/Products/dLAN-Green-PHY-Module/

No idea about price, though it looks cheaper - intended to be used as a module in volume equipment, rather than simply an evaluation board.

Thanks. That didn't work either, but googling for the filename found one that did.

At a quick glance looks simolar to the J2847 that I was reading before.

But one problem with these protocols is that the car is the master in the negotiations - you can interrogate an EVSE to find out what it supports, but if you are building an EVSE (as we would be if trying to talk to the Tesla), then you just set out your offer and the car says yes or no. So there's no easy way to find out just what Tesla have implemented. May be necessary to build a sniffer and sniff a supercharge session.

As Arg said..sometime ago..I'm trying to bring this one back; even without an adapter all our cars should be able to do 70KW DC with no extra hardware needed, should just be a simple firmware update if the Tesla's don't already support "Type2 DC-Mid".
For higher speeds "Type 2 DC High" I think it would be extremely simple for any third party to make an adapter for Combo2. It would almost be a dumb adapter simply sending two extra DC pins in the Combo2 through to the 4 DC pins in the type 2 DC Mid mode. Same pass through for the central protective earth, and the two signal pins CP and PP. However for safety reasons the car might need to be able to tell the adapter that it is a Tesla being plugged in and not someone accidentally trying to ram 120KW into a car that isn't set up for 120KW over those pins. So that bit might involve some electronics, and of course there will be all the paperwork to obtain approvals. Very sketchy sketch attached.
We would then be able to make use of the new generation of European chargers offering 100KW and eventually 350KW by using this adapter to pull up to 120KW where available.

Attachments

• combo2 adapter.jpg
    combo2 adapter.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 95
While an adapter is not impossible:
  • It is now fairly clear that Model S does not have the GreenPHY hardware for standard CCS signalling. Supercharger signalling has been reverse-engineered and it is CAN-based. An adapter is going to need to do protocol conversion (like the CHAdeMO one).
  • A CCS adapter is more difficult mechanically than the CHAdeMO adapter, because mechanical locking is essential on the DC connectors. The CHAdeMO adapter had a free ride: one end is locked by the car, the other end is locked by the CHAdeMO plug. CCS plugs (unlike CHAdeMO) don't contain the active part of a locking mechanism: they expect that the car will provide the locking mechanism, so in this case the adapter will need to provide it.
  • CCS (unlike CHAdeMO) doesn't provide power to run the electronics in the adapter. Possibly it could be battery powered.

OTOH, there's speculation that Model 3 in Europe is going to have a CCS socket. And the new bodywork to provide a second chargeport on Model S for the China market might mean that future Model S have CCS too. All speculation at this point...

Indeed, you are right. The Terra's only support CHAdeMO, CCS or Type 2 AC.

Hi widodh,
I am Bart Koens , a dutchman in Belgium.
seeking answers about charging ( alas non Tesla , but a 2018 BYD E6 with only a type 2 socket)
In seeing the discussion above , especially the socket samples , I wonder how many (hopefully all) EV's with a type 2 socket can accept DC low via that socket.
Do you know abouit this or can you supply links about this subject.
In Belgium I have seen only 1 location with Tesla chargers that had 2 tethered cables CCS and Type 2 Chargemap announces also 1 charger at Wavre Belgium to be Type 2
Alas I cannot find if those tesla chargers do deliver DC-low or DC-mid over their type 2 cable

Thanks for any answer or hint , Ciao bart