Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Charging a rebuild title Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Tesla Model S85 that has a history of salvage title-rebuild. For the first year of ownership it had supercharging capability, then....... just like the rest of you out there it suddenly quit working. The instrument cluster didn't even say that Supercharging was disabled, just that there was a problem with it. Then I found out about the Tesla policy regarding cars like this.

Although I pretty much knew what the results would be, I have carried out the following initial steps in an attempt to get supercharging enabled:
-Had the car High Voltage Safety inspected by Tesla to determine that it's HV system is not dangerous.
-Wrote an appeal for exemption to Tesla. The result: Ran headlong into "Mrs. Roboto", who Emailed me what looks like a standard letter sent to everyone with this request To Tesla's credit, at least they answered. It termed my request an "Escalation"(?) and was written to "Ryan" (That's not me. There must be a lot of others who have made a similar request) To make it short, the answer was "No".

I am looking into legal possibilities and have a few ideas. Are you interested? I can use the following information:
-Have you attempted any legal action? What was it and how far did you get?
-Have you heard of any incidents where a salvage history Tesla did harm to a Supercharger or caught fire while Supercharging?
-Have you heard of any incidents where a non-salvage titled Tesla damaged a Supercharger or caught fire while Supercharging?
-Would you be interested in a Class Action should that be a viable option?

Thanks for any info you may have. I am speaking with an attorney. "News at 11" and may the force..........Awww, you know the rest.

Electriccarnut

To beatle: At present I don't think so and I also believe that to be the core of the issue: lack of the car's ability to D. C. charge which it was born with-- for life.

To ucmmdd: Doomsayers need not apply here. This whole issue is being studied before pursuing. Don't want to say much about it here since the walls may have ears, but- Tesla is about to open the supercharging network to all who have CCS/SAE charging capability. Aren't they afraid one of those could damage their chargers since they don't have any control over who maintains them?

C'mon guys, I could really use the info I asked for if you have any.

All Bolts have been recalled.

You may find some helpful posts in the thread for salvage car owners, though I have not read it. I think you may be in for an uphill battle, though there is plenty of logic saying that if Tesla will inspect and give your car a clean bill of health, including the HV system, what is the real problem with letting this car DCFC? Presumably any car leaving the factory would also be inspected - perhaps not even as thoroughly as a one-off reinspection.

You should confirm details before lawyering up… it’s my understanding that salvage cars retain the ability to DCFC with third party chargers.
My understanding is that there is no way to differentiate. According to maintenance personnel at Tesla all D.C. charging on Salvage-Title cars will be cut off. I am holding up purchasing a Chademo adapter until I can confirm that it will work but it doesn't sound likely.

Uhhh.... Confirming details and getting info is what I asked for at the lead of this thread. I am far from "lawyering up", There is much work to be done, and much info to be gathered (if it exists).

That's what I really want!
Maybe I missed it but can you or can you not DC fast charge? I have a salvage branded Tesla 3 and it DC fast charges just fine with a chademo adapter I bought from tesla on my model 3 account for my model 3. I also bought the Setec CCS adapter and it works. The Setec emulates a chademo. Both are limited to 50kw power levels by the car. A while back I received an email that SC and DCFC would be cut off due to my branded title and so far only SC is cut off. I don't think they can successfully cut DCFC without a flood of lawsuits that I think would prevail. To me that's a simple debate.

Reactions: Rusty1
Maybe I missed it but can you or can you not DC fast charge? I have a salvage branded Tesla 3 and it DC fast charges just fine with a chademo adapter I bought from tesla on my model 3 account for my model 3. I also bought the Setec CCS adapter and it works. The Setec emulates a chademo. Both are limited to 50kw power levels by the car. A while back I received an email that SC and DCFC would be cut off due to my branded title and so far only SC is cut off. I don't think they can successfully cut DCFC without a flood of lawsuits that I think would prevail. To me that's a simple debate.
I currently know I cannot use a supercharger. My understanding is that in the Model S the charging is disabled by changing a bit within the computer's programming and that all DC charging is disabled. The Model 3 may be different. I would like to give a Chademo a try, but the adapter is expensive, and I don't know anyone who has one to try. I do know of some people out there who can reset the bit. One (ingineer) states he will do it for Chademo only and make the car go dark so Tesla cannot reset it (I presume by turning off wi-fi?) but I suspect that if one takes such a car to a supercharger, other threads here are saying that the supercharger itself will reset the bit again thus disabling all DC charging once again.

As to your last line, that's my whole point here. The car had DCFC when I bought it and for a year after. Now it doesn't. Tesla itself confirmed it had the ability to DCFC at the time of purchase and they also knew it was a salvage title car. I knew nothing of Tesla's policy when I bought the car nor did Tesla advise me that it existed.

I don't want to argue whether Tesla is obligated to let me use their equipment (I consider that a separate issue), Just other equipment by other suppliers.

Model S, 2012, VIN 00007, salvage title, passed High Voltage Test, no supercharging. As a test, my local SC loaned me a ChaDemO adapter. I signed up with one of the independent charging networks. It did not work. Returned to SC and tech said it looked like the access to direct charging had been cut off. So, stuck with Tesla wall charger and local driving.

If everything checks out, Tesla should allow Supercharging. I think you should keep pressing for it. There are ways that they can check and confirm that Supercharging will work, including doing a DC charging test + reading the logs and full main li-ion battery state while the test is being conducted.

Model S, 2012, VIN 00007, salvage title, passed High Voltage Test, no supercharging. As a test, my local SC loaned me a ChaDemO adapter. I signed up with one of the independent charging networks. It did not work. Returned to SC and tech said it looked like the access to direct charging had been cut off. So, stuck with Tesla wall charger and local driving.
Can you clarify how you know how 3rd party DCFC (dc fast charging) is disabled? Did you get a message on your screen that it's disabled when plugged in and hooked up to the 3rd party charger?

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
What did Plugshare say for that location? Willing to share a Plugshare link or address of the station?

Model S # 00007! I'm envious! In spite of this issue sure hope you're enjoying your car as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Something else: Yes, we cannot DC charge, but does your car have the optional slave battery charger? Mine does and it allows AC charging at up to 20 KW! That's as much as 58 MPH which is not bad and that's what you can get with a High Power Wall Connector and a dedicated circuit. I have found a few places that have HPWCs for free use! Check around your area! (They are not all that common but I have found three on routes I commonly use.)

Reactions: Rusty1
I find it interesting that DC fast charging appears turned off on Ss but not on 3s and Ys. I also find it interesting that no one is suing Tesla yet for remotely changing a feature in a car after the car was purchased as-is-where-is with SC enabled. With my 3 I can still 3rd party charge so I'm not yet that motivated. The act of Tesla tinkering with someone's car remotely is wrong and hopefully illegal. Tesla can ban you from Supercharging by putting a guard in front of stations or putting the lockout to salvage cars into the supply equipment but they cannot turn features on and off in a car that was purchased as is where is just like they can't limit your speed, limit your power, etc... Btw that has nothing to do with Tesla owning their software. Owning software and changing vehicle features through software are completely different subjects.