Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daft Times anti-EV article of the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV charging anxiety: My epic search for a socket

- Who sets off on a long journey at 65%? (unless they need to be in difficulties to make the article premise work)
- He doesn’t seem to understand you can wait at full chargers for one to become available
- He doesn’t seem to understand that Tesla chargers are increasingly being opened up

Other than that - top jernalizm

- Who sets off on a long journey at 65%? (unless they need to be in difficulties to make the article premise work)
- He doesn’t seem to understand you can wait at full chargers for one to become available
- He doesn’t seem to understand that Tesla chargers are increasingly being opened up

"“Turn off the seat massagers,” I told the kids, fearing further battery depletion."..... what an absolute pillock

"Fourteen per cent. About 50 miles. Or 30 if the kids started charging their phones again"... Those kids must have phones with some impressive batteries!

Although this sort of bullshit article puts pressure on policy makers to roll out more chargers, so I suppose some good may come out of it...

Yeah, but publications like "The Time" should do better, rather than wanting to lower themselves to the gutted-press. Shame.
Very, very few publications have resisted the drift to the clickbait lowest common denominator, and those have pretty expensive subscriptions so are not really read by the masses....

It is viral Tesla advertisement. "There are Tesla chargers but they are reserved for Tesla owners." This is one of the reasons that I bought Tesla. :cool:

FB_IMG_1704637110615.jpg

My subscription!

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
It’s lazy journalism that allows this stuff to go unchecked and unchallenged.
Yesterday all the major papers were quoting the Chancellor verbatim with his cute “… and domestic oil and gas is four times cleaner than imported oil and gas.”
Anyone that paid even a cursory interest in GCSE or O-level science would see that a hydrocarbon is a hydrocarbon regardless of which side of a line on a map that it’s drilled from. It produces the same CO2 emissions when burned also.
He’s actually referring to the transport emissions of the raw product, which make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the CO2 contribution.

Disingenuous at best. Perhaps he’ll understand if I offer to pay him four times less tax this year🤔

What a dull and poorly informed article but it will make some people feel more assured about their EV scepticism. Up to them.

Or maybe he is representative of people that just want to buy an EV and use it like they would their petrol car? I certainly take for granted how well Tesla plots my route with chargers if it needs to.
I would say most of us forum users are avid EV enthusiasts, we talk about PSI affecting range and make graphs etc, whereas this journalist is a "normal bloke" and probably more representative of a UK car buyer. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because it doesn't quite read like a smear campaign, just a bit clumsy.

Bottom line - it is still "good news" because it is divisive and generates discussion, as shown by this thread, regardless of your opinion on the author or content.

Reactions: WilberDaForce
Every EV essentially needs a zero-carbon energy generation method (either locally or via National Grid) to help ensure it really is low or no carbon transport. Even then we are all essentially waiting on National Grid to go properly 100% zero carbon, which they could currently do if putting in sufficient grid-scale storage from present day renewable energy alone. Until that happens, economics means that it pays more to actually produce CO₂ in the mean time!

Reactions: WilberDaForce
He’s actually referring to the transport emissions of the raw product, which make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the CO2 contribution.

I think there may also be a point on how it is "Mined". I read an article in discussion with Norwegian (e.g. a government minister) saying they justified carrying on drilling for oil, and exporting pretty much all of it, saying "overall" for the planet their oil was better than a lot of other sources.

Maybe there is a case for new Oil Licenses in UK shores ... it just seems, to me, to go against the grain. But so does Drax burning wood ... hauled all the way from Canada - in boats that burn oil Natch!

Everybody who has a non-Tesla EV despises the Tesla people

Is this true?

Why would I care? 🤓

Also in The Sunday Times:

BT to turn 60,000 redundant street cabinets into EV charger points

"able to power 6 cars at a time", "will output the same 7.4kW as a standard domestic charger"

To all 6 chargers? Do those green cabinets really have 45kW supply? Each?

"Boxes are already on the grid, and therefore will avoid delays ... to wait for power firms to make the electrical connection needed"

"BT may also face fewer planning hurdles because it is seeking to convert and add to existing street furniture, rather than starting from scratch"

"BT has a further 30,000 street cabinets which it does not believe are suitable" -e.g. "too far from parking spots"

"able to power 6 cars at a time", "will output the same 7.4kW as a standard domestic charger"

"Boxes are already on the grid, and therefore will avoid delays ... to wait for power firms to make the electrical connection needed"

"BT may also face fewer planning hurdles because it is seeking to convert and add to existing street furniture, rather than starting from scratch"

"BT has a further 30,000 street cabinets which it does not believe are suitable" -e.g. "too far from parking spots"

Some cabinets(not all that many) do have a 3 pin socket in them and a breaker, albeit the infrastructure is mostly there to pull big cables through ( Some of those "lan" cables carry 60 plus pairs)

BT is turning off the landline phone over copper by 2025 I believe but there is way to much work before they decommission the copper cabinets.

Bottoms line is thats its a very long way away.

One more to add from todays edition;

So, should I get an electric car?​

If you have a driveway or other off-street parking so you can charge an electric car at home, the running costs are likely to be much cheaper than a petrol or diesel car. If you live in a part of the UK with good charging infrastructure, or plan to use your car mainly for short journeys, again, it will probably work financially. If not, you may need to think carefully before you make the switch.

Which, I think, is fair enough.

Edit: one thing about the original article posted, it’s written by a columnist who is no expert and is basically paid to have a brain fart written down on paper. I wouldn’t give it too much attention tbh

If you’re that easily swayed then chances are you’re probably beyond help any way

From July 2023:

It says that it'd need power upgrades, since they may use as little as 300W, but that upgrading the power might not be a big deal.