Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daft Times anti-EV article of the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says that it'd need power upgrades, since they may use as little as 300W, but that upgrading the power might not be a big deal.

@WannabeOwner was on about using redundant cabinets. In your report its next to brodband cabinets. These are two different cabinets and I cant recall if the broadband (fibre) cabinets had extra capacity for the cabling in the conduits. The ones that will be made redundant certainly have but decommissioning them will take some effort (fibre to the premisses) as to make them redundant imho.

I can see how people can get stressed, a few weeks back we arrived at a Tesla charger, stopped and plugged in to charge (all took the usual few seconds) Sat back in the car and noticed the BMW iX3 opposite at the ionity chargers, There was a lady and her son in the car and she was struggling to get the charger to start charging... she was getting more and more irate at the process, sat in the car, made a phone call, got out the car, un plugged, tried to start it again, ended up going to to charger next to hers to check if that was working, decided it may be - took 3 attempts to shuffle across to the next charger along, plugged it, selected several options on the screen, tapped the card and about 10 seconds later the look of relief on her face was obvious! The whole process must have taken her 10 mins, but I would bet she is now firmly in the camp of "Get rid of the EV I cannot take the stress! They are terrible". Whereas it is in fact the charging providers that seem to just make things really bad!

Fastned was interesting as they have enabled you to record the MAC address of the car to identify it to enable plug in and auto charge in to give the same experience as a Tesla charger (80% more expensive per kWh though!).... but it should be possible for other charging providers to use the same method to allow a simpler experience.

Am I the only who didn't think the article was that bad?

I think we've all been there when we first got our EVs and had that charge anxiety. And for me anyway, with a Tesla X long range every big trip away is 100% centred around charging infrastructure, without planning the journeys would be far too stressful. It works be nice to be able to go somewhere and not even have to think about where to charge and start planning everything around that.

We're not there yet but I could never go back to an ICE vehicle.

Fastned was interesting as they have enabled you to record the MAC address of the car to identify it to enable plug in and auto charge in to give the same experience as a Tesla charger (80% more expensive per kWh though!).... but it should be possible for other charging providers to use the same method to allow a simpler experience.
There's a whole standard for it.. IMO it should be mandated, since the current experience outside tesla and fastned is quite frankly crap.

Originally gridserve said they were going to roll it out but didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: TechnoWatch
It’s lazy journalism that allows this stuff to go unchecked and unchallenged.
Yesterday all the major papers were quoting the Chancellor verbatim with his cute “… and domestic oil and gas is four times cleaner than imported oil and gas.”
Anyone that paid even a cursory interest in GCSE or O-level science would see that a hydrocarbon is a hydrocarbon regardless of which side of a line on a map that it’s drilled from. It produces the same CO2 emissions when burned also.
He’s actually referring to the transport emissions of the raw product, which make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the CO2 contribution.

Disingenuous at best. Perhaps he’ll understand if I offer to pay him four times less tax this year🤔
wellllll....
Venesuelan or russki HFO/OIL has high sulphur content vs Nordic or Saudi... so that is one of the things to have in mind

it is not CO2 only..

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Today's Times. Behind a paywall so I quote:

Sathnam Sanghera
Monday January 08 2024,
"I gave up car journalism a few years ago but got a reminder of what it sometimes involved with the loan of a Bentley Flying Spur over Christmas. It was incredible: bigger than a caravan but somehow as dexterous as a London taxi.......the features that struck me as the most luxurious, though, on this petrol-powered palace were actually not on the options list: they were simply not having to wait in a motorway service station for 40 minutes for a battery to recharge; and not having to be careful with the heating because of battery range anxiety....and this is why I think the mass market electric revolution is still some way off: petrol cars will only be defeated once electric ones are not only as cheap but more convenient than petrol alternatives."

Apart from wondering why he has to wait 40 minutes to charge because of 'range anxiety', the irony of comparing that 15mpg 250k monster to an EV seems to have passed him by.

There's a whole standard for it.. IMO it should be mandated, since the current experience outside tesla and fastned is quite frankly crap.

Originally gridserve said they were going to roll it out but didn't.
You made me go look it up! ISO-15118

Details of Fastned here seem to say that they are not using that standard - Fastned Autocharge Whitepaper

It seems that Tesla with the NACS are implementing the ISO Standard - Section 4.5.2 - North_American_Charging_Standard_Technical_Specification

I learned something about how the systems are intended to work.... now the majority of manufacturers and charge companies need to just get the user experience sorted!

There was a lady and her son in the car and she was struggling to get the charger to start charging... she was getting more and more irate at the process, sat in the car, made a phone call, got out the car, un plugged, tried to start it again, ended up going to to charger next to hers to check if that was working, decided it may be - took 3 attempts to shuffle across to the next charger along, plugged it, selected several options on the screen, tapped the card and about 10 seconds later the look of relief on her face was obvious!

Sums up the few times I have used non-Tesla chargers since 2015. I'm sure there are plenty, now, that are "good", but back then I rarely charged non-Tesla but I can't remember a single occasion when it went better than that description.