Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control speed changes by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

John Rogers

White LR AWD Mod 3 FSD AB
Feb 4, 2020
Tarneit, Australia
When exiting from the West Gate freeway (80kph) in Melbourne onto the King'sway exit (80 kph) the car's speed and the cruise control displayed speed reduce from 80 kph to 70 kph. The speed limit is 80 kph and the signs by the side of the road show 80 kph. The 2020.40.3 update has not affected this. Any ideas as to why the car's speed reduces and how to fix it?

This is typical behavior on off-ramps and interchanges. We have a highway with a ramp that leads to another highway. The speed limit on the first highway is 70mph and the second 60mph. If I have my CC set to 74mph on the first highway, as soon as I get on the off-ramp, it reduces down to 70mph, then 65mph and then eventually 45mph, not allowing me to set it any higher until at a certain point it let me increase it to 65mph (but no more--the second highway is limited access, but not technically an interstate highway). The same happens in reverse. On the first highway (speed limit 60mph, which limits my CC to 65mph), I take the off-ramp and it again wants to slow down to 45mph, despite the fact that this ramp especially is pretty much straight. Eventually it lets me set the CC back up to the 74mph once I am on the new highway. Keep in mind that normal traffic would flow at about 60-65 on these ramps, so slowing down to 45mph is REALLY slow.

* At least that's the way it used to work. I haven't been taking this route since the pandemic started, but the other day I tried it out and it's behaving MUCH better. Now it will take both ramps with the CC set to 70mph (or maybe 65...I can't remember) and it even lets you set the CC higher than 65mph on the secondary highway now. So much more natural behavior.