Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creased seats in Model X after 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla WILL fix it .... we had even worse wrinkly grey leather on our model S - at end of last year. I say 'worse' because before we got it home, less than one hour driving, it looked ridiculous. They said they'd have to send it into a custom leather shop & the appointment would be at least 3 weeks out. Way less issues with the fake White in our X. Except the stitching starts looking dark as it begins getting dirty , & then man, it really stands out. It's my better half's car - so.... oh well ... we'll figure out how to dress up the stitching - eventually.
Interesting about the stitching on the 'premium' (the current name for that 'fabric'). We'll have to see how the other colors do, as the cream and black roll out. I'm getting cream, so this should be interesting...

I returned to this forum, and surprised this post on Electrek hasn't received a comment yet:
Model S Owner gets seats replaced by Ranger.

Photo Credit: Dominic Scaffidi / Electrek -- I'm simply reposting

Old Seats:
View attachment 242260

New Seats:

View attachment 242262

I will say my seat crease is 90% of the same problem Dominic had. I had my seats steamed by the SC last month... which helped everything but the crease I have. Ahem, worth reaching out to Tesla again?
-TechVP
Curious to see how the new seats hold up. Assuming there has been a design change.

Hmm, I think I may have you beat, as mine was delivered in July...
I weigh 240lbs, and I am the primary driver.
Even worse is my passenger seat , as I rarely have passengers (20% of the time) and my wife weighs 130ish...

If I was not having my vehicle replaced, I would definitely be barking about how bad they are holding up.
View attachment 224893 View attachment 224894

Between the weakness of the ventilated seats and the crappy durability of the perforated leather seats, it makes perfect sens why they removed that option.

The truth is many other manufacturers provide effective cooled and ventilated seats that hold up well, ie my Cayenne, my daughter's Kia Sorrento, etc

It's just not a priority for Tesla since they think so "Californian", like most of that state's population (I can say that since I once lived there).

just a thought...I took mine in and showed the service center. Not even a hesitation about noting it and offering a replacement.

The SC replaced my front seats because of the wrinkling. Total of ten weeks to get them replaced (six for original order + four more when the wrong part arrived), but it wasn't like the X wasn't functional in the meantime. The new seats seem of higher quality both from the standpoint of wrinkling and comfort.

Way less issues with the fake White in our X. Except the stitching starts looking dark as it begins getting dirty , & then man, it really stands out. It's my better half's car - so.... oh well ... we'll figure out how to dress up the stitching - eventually.

Interesting. I had been considering the fake white since the "Like Tesla" vlogger family seems to claim they hold up well, except for the non-pleather parts that are just fabric. (
). Did your stitching get stained with something in particular, or is this just wear and tear? Have you tried to clean it yet?

Interesting. I had been considering the fake white since the "Like Tesla" vlogger family seems to claim they hold up well, except for the non-pleather parts that are just fabric. (
). Did your stitching get stained with something in particular, or is this just wear and tear? Have you tried to clean it yet?
oh yes - all the suggested cleaners. Kind of scarry because we obviously don't want to weaken the stitching or permanently set the stains via chemicals.
We keep white towels down on the seats, most of the time;
2017-08-23 06.21.27.jpg

We quickly learned from our grey MS leather experience how blue jeans could easily cause blue tint to xfer to the leather.
So even with the understanding it'd be best to take extra care with white - the driver seat's stitching especially - on the left side looks very bad - very quickly
2017-08-22 19.06.59.jpg

we've had several cars with light-colored leather, & it always looked much nicer, much longer, prior to cleaning.
Yes - I could have scrubbed the seat prior to the picture, but this is how it quickly gets. You'd think we're a couple coal miners - or never bathed more than once a week by the amount of oily looking stains that quickly build up - or that we NEVER lay a white towel down on them.

I watched the video above. It appears to fly in the face of how the seats quickly dirty up. Understandably, they don't show a closeup of their driver's seat throughout the video. In fact the owners brag how the worst area is the 2nd row seats which are kept covered. they remove the covers to reveal crumbs, & say that's the worst it gets. However I took a screenshot of their covered seat's stitching - and as you can see;

2017-08-22 12.59.35.png

even though they show how they keep them covered, THEIR stitching is getting stained too. that's nowhere near as bad as ours, but since they're trying to show how nice their seats easily stay - it makes perfect sense that their video proves their point - just as our pictures prove a contrary point.
heck, take both points with a grain of salt, and figure something in between the 2 experiences will be many people's upholstery reality. My better ½ still loves her X, & wouldn't want to ever drive another car. (sigh) excuse me - gotta go clean the seats.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
I have had ultra white for 6 months, and admittedly I avoid wearing blue jeans. Mine literally look like the first day I got the car, though. I've only wiped my seats a few times.

If you plan on eating and not taking care of the seats, white probably should not be your first choice. But with a little care, they work really well. I would choose white again if given the choice.

Anyone already got their Model X delivered with the new Cream interior? I just ordered mine initially going with White but changed to Cream at the last minute. We were told its the same material as the White seats and color is somewhat lighter than than Tan.

Anyone already got their Model X delivered with the new Cream interior? I just ordered mine initially going with White but changed to Cream at the last minute. We were told its the same material as the White seats and color is somewhat lighter than than Tan.
There are reports of some in west coast showrooms on Reddit, and people say they are gorgeous. We will have to see... mine is due at the end/somewhere of September.

I had the same problem on my Model S. Took it into the service center. They steamed them. Everything tightened up. Problem solved. However, they are ordering me a new drivers seat. Why do this after the issue was solved? No idea but I'll discuss when I bring it in for replacement if it's necessary.

Wife is considering an X because we love my S so much I was here doing research and I can across your thread. Since our seat are identical I'd imagine the steaming process will work. I have black leather

Do you know what process they used to steam the creases out of your seats? I have the same problem on my sub 1,000 mile Model X with black leather seats. Speaking with Tesla, they are saying it's normal wear and they won't replace it. My problem is mainly that the leather is loose. If the steam can tighten the leather, I would like to try it.

Tesla Seat.jpg

Do you know what process they used to steam the creases out of your seats? I have the same problem on my sub 1,000 mile Model X with black leather seats. Speaking with Tesla, they are saying it's normal wear and they won't replace it. My problem is mainly that the leather is loose. If the steam can tighten the leather, I would like to try it.

View attachment 246731
That's bad. I don't know the process but the service was fine at the Burbank service center and the guy who helped me was Jeff. I'd give them a call and if you need my VIN for reference you can PM me.

How can they replace some people's seats and not others?
You know that's a really good question. I ran into an similar issue. A fellow TMCer got the new FWD switches installed on his car and Tesla told me no (even thought I was willing to pay). The TMCer was nice enough to give me his VIN and the paperwork, not only did they do it after I showed it to them but they did it for me for free. I love Tesla service, I just think they are top notch. It's so easy to say no but in everyone of my issues they've rolled out the red carpet. No good deed goes unpunished as they say. Do it for one and you have to do it for all but really the steaming helped a lot. The steam fixed it. They replaced the seat anyway but it wasn't necessary at all. In retrospect I should have declined the new seat, it just seems wasteful now.

Disclaimer: That is my experience, so it isn't the word of god here, steam may or may not work for you but I had very very good results.

Last edited:
Am looking at a model x75d right now. It's an existing unit/demo unit.

OA said it's Tesla's new vegan leather but the sticker shows extended napa leather. Is that for the other panels apart from the seats. Interior is white.

You know that's a really good question. I ran into an similar issue. A fellow TMCer got the new FWD switches installed on his car and Tesla told me no (even thought I was willing to pay). The TMCer was nice enough to give me his VIN and the paperwork, not only did they do it after I showed it to them but they did it for me for free. I love Tesla service, I just think they are top notch. It's so easy to say no but in everyone of my issues they've rolled out the red carpet. No good deed goes unpunished as they say. Do it for one and you have to do it for all but really the steaming helped a lot. The steam fixed it. They replaced the seat anyway but it wasn't necessary at all. In retrospect I should have declined the new seat, it just seems wasteful now.

Disclaimer: That is my experience, so it isn't the word of god here, steam may or may not work for you but I had very very good results.

now I want new seats and new switches!!

Was there any reason for switch change or just different functionality and looks?

Was there any reason for switch change or just different functionality and looks?
No change in functionality. Just looks
New FWD switch design

$95 installed this is where I got my initial info
Birthday Presents for my X

Escalate it to management on you My Tesla account:

Log onto My Tesla and click on your MX. Scroll about halfway down. My options on that page go as follows: Add a Credit Card, Supercharging, Referral Program and then Support. Under Support, the default is "This is a general support inquiry." But it is a drop-down box and you can select "Escalate this concern for executive review." (Courtesy of @jareade)

I did get e new drivers seat and while it did have creases the reason for replacement was the seat would move from side to side and it always sounded like a can was rolling around underneath. It took me ten months of asking to get it done and only after I sent a certified letter about that and several other issues. The creasing came back almost immediately but the moving of the seat is gone. Not sure what the long term fix for the leather creasing is.

When they were making that repair (and some others) they replaced the FWD switches. One switch was always loose and popping out of place. I did not ask them to replace them but they fit MUCH better and don't pop out and for passengers, are easier to use. The switches were a pleasant surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: number12