Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Tesla on the way, can't wait!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized the language said "added" and I was editing my post when you replied. So basically the 4 year factory warranty becomes a 6 year warranty from the date of initial purchase. That's pretty good warranty coverage.

Did they give you an option to pay extra to extend that warranty further? If you buy a used Model S you can pay to have that warranty extended another 4 years for a total of 8 years coverage so I'm wondering if a CPO car can be acquired with similar 8 years of warranty coverage by paying more for the additional 2 years.

i was told during my final paperwork with the delivery guys that i have 60 days after expiration of the current warranty to buy the additional 4 yrs. the other thing i found interesting is that they told me the pricing for the extended warranty now will be the pricing when i buy 3 years from now (when mine would expire) so essentially if they raise the extended warranty price, i would be grand fathered into today's pricing.

Maybe it's just me, but I looked at a couple CPO's in the local store's system, and the pricing didn't seem much different than inventory cars (when you included the Fed rebate).

I was hoping the CPO's would be an even better deal then inventory cars (especially with Tesla's lowball trade in offers), but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

Maybe it's just me, but I looked at a couple CPO's in the local store's system, and the pricing didn't seem much different than inventory cars (when you included the Fed rebate).

I was hoping the CPO's would be an even better deal then inventory cars (especially with Tesla's lowball trade in offers), but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

I have a feeling this is why they still have not rolled out the CPO program in a public way where you can look up the inventory. I think they are essentially "feeling out" prices and some CPO deals might not be that good considering you can buy an inventory car with the full Fed rebate.

- - - Updated - - -

i was told during my final paperwork with the delivery guys that i have 60 days after expiration of the current warranty to buy the additional 4 yrs. the other thing i found interesting is that they told me the pricing for the extended warranty now will be the pricing when i buy 3 years from now (when mine would expire) so essentially if they raise the extended warranty price, i would be grand fathered into today's pricing.

So if you were to extend the warranty on a CPO car will you be doing that after the initial 4 year warranty or after the CPO warranty? If you do it after the initial 4 year warranty then aren't you really paying the same price to extend the warranty for 4 more years when 2 of those 4 years are already covered by the CPO warranty.

If the additional 4 years of extended warranty you buy gets added to the 6 year CPO warranty I think that would make sense as then you'd have full warranty coverage for 10 years since the car was first in service.

They'll want to rethink that. Inventory cars qualify for the $7,500 federal rebate but, IIRC, CPO cars do not. So there should be at least a $7,500 difference between equivalently configured and "worn" CPO vs. inventory new.

I was unaware of inventory cars else I would have explored that avenue. All said and done, either program is a great opportunity to get folks into Tesla's who otherwise couldn't/wouldn't fork up the initial cost of ownership. I'm happy with the price I paid and I'm sure I'll be just as happy once I finally get behind the wheel. I look at this just like the stock market, once you sell off stock, don't look at it again else you'll continue to question why :)

Great info for us looking to get in the market. Also adds some information for those who are looking to sell their 60kwh cars. Probably not going to get $60k as a private seller if Tesla is offering the same price direct.

To be fair, I opted for the least expensive out of the three that the sales associate passed my way given that I have some negative equity I had to factor into the equation. The other two were priced into the high $60's and lower $70's. I'll keep this one for a few years, unload and move into another model that I can build from scratch.

I was unaware of inventory cars else I would have explored that avenue. All said and done, either program is a great opportunity to get folks into Tesla's who otherwise couldn't/wouldn't fork up the initial cost of ownership. I'm happy with the price I paid and I'm sure I'll be just as happy once I finally get behind the wheel. I look at this just like the stock market, once you sell off stock, don't look at it again else you'll continue to question why :)
Congrats on the car, BTW.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to imply you would have been better off with one or the other, CPO vs inventory, or that you should have any buyer's remorse. I re-wrote that post a couple of times to try to avoid, as much as possible, having it sound like I was saying "Why would you buy a CPO car! You got taken to the cleaners!" :smile: I think Brianman got to the heart of it - I was a bit surprised that the net price on a "new" inventory car (after rebates) wasn't more than the price of an equivalent CPO, that had already been titled.

But I agree, both are a great option. If the X doesn't work for me (my towing requirements might be unreasonable), then I'll get my X deposit back and likely buy a 85D inventory car, because, at heart, I'm cheap. If I wait a long time, I may go with a 70D, if they start showing up in inventory. I don't expect that I'd find much in the way of AWD CPO's, which is why I said an inventory car.

Some people want to buy new, and have an exact option mix/color in mind. Me, I don't really care. I have a couple of colors that I think are blah, a couple of options on the must-have (tech/pano), and a couple I don't want (air suspension - costly to fix post warranty, and I keep cars a long time). Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible. I've had good luck letting someone take my depreciation for me; I am the third owner of 2 of the last 3 cars I bought (both were 3 years old at the time, one had 18K on the odometer, the other 36k).

Congrats on the car, BTW.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to imply you would have been better off with one or the other, CPO vs inventory, or that you should have any buyer's remorse. I re-wrote that post a couple of times to try to avoid, as much as possible, having it sound like I was saying "Why would you buy a CPO car! You got taken to the cleaners!" :smile: I think Brianman got to the heart of it - I was a bit surprised that the net price on a "new" inventory car (after rebates) wasn't more than the price of an equivalent CPO, that had already been titled.

But I agree, both are a great option. If the X doesn't work for me (my towing requirements might be unreasonable), then I'll get my X deposit back and likely buy a 85D inventory car, because, at heart, I'm cheap. If I wait a long time, I may go with a 70D, if they start showing up in inventory. I don't expect that I'd find much in the way of AWD CPO's, which is why I said an inventory car.

Some people want to buy new, and have an exact option mix/color in mind. Me, I don't really care. I have a couple of colors that I think are blah, a couple of options on the must-have (tech/pano), and a couple I don't want (air suspension - costly to fix post warranty, and I keep cars a long time). Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible. I've had good luck letting someone take my depreciation for me; I am the third owner of 2 of the last 3 cars I bought (both were 3 years old at the time, one had 18K on the odometer, the other 36k).

No worries, I didn't take it as a negative just happy to finally join the club! Ordered my vanity plates in Maryland today "REGENR8" :) I couldn't resist the opportunity to have personalized plates for the first time, just wish Maryland offered a wider selection although I do like the save the bay plates FWIW...

They'll want to rethink that. Inventory cars qualify for the $7,500 federal rebate but, IIRC, CPO cars do not. So there should be at least a $7,500 difference between equivalently configured and "worn" CPO vs. inventory new.

In Maryland, there is an additional $3,500 so a Maryland CPO car should be at least $10,500 less than a comparable inventory car for the price to make sense. Same with CA and a several other states with additional incentives.

- - - Updated - - -

Any indication that they'll do lease on their CPO cars? If I'm not keeping it forever anyway....

I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the leasing program is not open for CPO cars.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, I opted for the least expensive out of the three that the sales associate passed my way given that I have some negative equity I had to factor into the equation. The other two were priced into the high $60's and lower $70's. I'll keep this one for a few years, unload and move into another model that I can build from scratch.

I think just about $60K or low $60s is the most they can expect to receive for an S60 and for it to be still a reasonable deal. As soon as you approach $70, it makes absolutely no sense to consider an S60 as you can buy a brand new 70D in Maryland for $65K when you factor in the $7,500 Federal and $3,500 state rebates. Even if you add about $5K in options to the 70D you can buy a brand new one for $70K so an S60 IMHO would not make sense as a CPO for any price higher than the low 60s. The 70D completely changed the game with the value of S60s.