Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cover for Heatpump to reduce Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So did some digging on mine. The sound issue i'm having is not coming from the Heatpump as it's actually very quiet.
The problem is coming from the Octovalve side. See the videos below.

Octovalve: Octovalve.MOV
Heatpump: HeatPump.MOV
It sounds like my kitchen's refrigerator. I don't have this kind of noise in my Model 3, or may be I never noticed it?

From what I read (with my bird eyes) an heat pump is a kind of "bi-directional" air conditioner.
So, may be I am wrong, but I was assuming that the Model 3 AC compressor and the Model Y Heat Pump should make the same noise?

So did some digging on mine. The sound issue i'm having is not coming from the Heatpump as it's actually very quiet. The problem is coming from the Octovalve side. See the videos below.

Octovalve: Octovalve.MOV
Heatpump: HeatPump.MOV

Thanks for posting ....that is loud. I have a similar sound...much louder when cold. Any ideas for a solution to deaden the sound ? I might explore wrapping it myself in some fashion or adding some layer of sound insulation. To be clear, it’s not that bad but I need a mental distraction from COVID 19....and this works.

Thanks for posting ....that is loud. I have a similar sound...much louder when cold. Any ideas for a solution to deaden the sound ? I might explore wrapping it myself in some fashion or adding some layer of sound insulation. To be clear, it’s not that bad but I need a mental distraction from COVID 19....and this works.

Here are 2 more videos. This had the AC going so no heat. The sound actually gets louder when you drive which I think is to increase cooling to the motors/battery. Ignore the music choice in the 2nd video....

IMG_1666.MOV
IMG_1665.MOV

Again, this sound is NOT present in our other Y, so this is not in all Y's.

Here are 2 more videos. This had the AC going so no heat. The sound actually gets louder when you drive which I think is to increase cooling to the motors/battery. Ignore the music choice in the 2nd video....

IMG_1666.MOV
IMG_1665.MOV

Again, this sound is NOT present in our other Y, so this is not in all Y's.
Yeah, that’s not normal. Service center next stop.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Just had a look under the cover of a newly delivered Model Y, 10xxx vin, AWD non-performance. It looks like the heat-pump has received a sound wrap not the full hard encapsulation of the Model 3 but some soft foam. There was no ability to pull the frunk tub so the angle/picture is a little limited.

20200531_172116_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20200531_172116_resized.jpg
    20200531_172116_resized.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 132
As noted above some have the loud noise while others do not. Munro noted the problem with some and speculated that possible cavitation was the cause. Cavitation in a pump can pit and damage the system. get it fixed and do not take no for the answer. A cheap piece of insulation wrapped around it like a bandage will not fix air in the system.

Now how do we get this for the existing cars???
I went in to Tesla in Springfield to take delivery yesterday and they told me that Model Y's built after May 26th 2020 have the sound insulating case for the AC and Heatpump. Unfortunately mine was apparently built 3 days before and I could hear the whine whenever the AC was running. Also this was not the only issue I found in the car so I declined to accept the delivery and they are going to try to install the sound insulating case this week as well as fix a number of other fit and finish issues.

fyi, If you fast forward this video to 9:40 you can hear about the new noise insulator
Tesla FINALLY Fixed My Model Y!

It was somewhat disappointing, to me at least, that Tesla would not proactively install the missing noise insulators prior to delivery where feasible. In my case, I know my car was sitting around for 10 days before my pickup date so Tesla Service should have had plenty of time to proactively install them rather than incurring the reputational damage of letting customers taking delivery of a Tesla with this avoidable issue.

Reactions: Electric Steve
fyi, If you fast forward this video to 9:40 you can hear about the new noise insulator
Tesla FINALLY Fixed My Model Y!

It was somewhat disappointing, to me at least, that Tesla would not proactively install the missing noise insulators prior to delivery where feasible. In my case, I know my car was sitting around for 10 days before my pickup date so Tesla Service should have had plenty of time to proactively install them rather than incurring the reputational damage of letting customers taking delivery of a Tesla with this avoidable issue.

They are probably hoping most people don't notice or don't care and hope to save some money on installing it everywhere.

Nope. I had to strong arm to get one. Told them my friends new Model Y came with one. Then my SC advisor ordered for me, which is confirmed by the automated email.
They usually retrofit early vehicles on request for things like this. For example, the M3 we got in Dec 17 had the original suspension, which was harsh. They had slipstreamed a new suspension for cars made after ours, but Tesla happily swapped out the components.

I understand some people had their back seats in M3s replaced with a "taller" seat, again after new M3s were being equipped with the newer seats.

My guess is that things are frenetic at Tesla right now with the almost two month factory downtime and trying to make up for that while manufacturing a brand new model. Trust it will get better.