Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to repair a scratch like this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a car I really like and is a great deal for what it is. It’s been used roughly (roof damage that the dealer is fixing) + a few paint chips (likely from gravel).

However, I walked away due to this scratch on the bumper….if anyone has experienced a similar paint damage issue, I’d really like to know what it cost to repair/quality of the repair.

It’s bigger than my hand (7 inches) and I was deeply concerned about potential for rusting.

IMG_4538.jpeg

I bet you as soon as this will be repainted you will find new damage on it in a week. As this is the new, facelift facia - on older car’s there is extra unpainted front lip that will get all the impact - so it has all painted surface. You will have to be extra careful not to get curbed on it.
And yes, it’s all plastic and you don’t have to ask Tesla to get it repainted. Choose the closest one for you that you know the reputation of and you are done.

Upvote 0
I bet you as soon as this will be repainted you will find new damage on it in a week. As this is the new, facelift facia - on older car’s there is extra unpainted front lip that will get all the impact - so it has all painted surface. You will have to be extra careful not to get curbed on it.
And yes, it’s all plastic and you don’t have to ask Tesla to get it repainted. Choose the closest one for you that you know the reputation of and you are done.
Would making sure the car goes into very high suspension help with that? I've never really had a car this nice, but I have taken such good care of them that they look as good as the day I got them (except for one minor accident).

It would be devastating to repaint it only for this to re-occur.

Upvote 0
Any half descent detailer could fix that. My mom did exactly this on her M3P last summer. Bought the color matched touch up paint, touched it up with the 3 part paint, wet sand polish you can't even tell. I'm by no means an "expert" detailer but I have attention to details and a steady hand. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying, i'd use it as a negotiation point if the car is rough.

Upvote 0