Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at what time Italy announce daily corona cases?
Seems to be around 5pm GMT.
Just my 0.02, but his arguments now sound like a traditional CEO trying to protect his brand and the value of the company, reality be damned.
He generates a powerful reality distortion field. That's helpful in some cases, not so much here.

Reactions: bkp_duke
That and the fact in the US we have a large segment of the population that is less than science literate.
Actually many are distrustful of the scientific "elite".
If this pandemic does not stress the health care system as bad as predicted...and stresses all aspects of life as it is currently doing. The backlash will be severe. IMHO.

It doesn’t take many asymptomatic carriers to be in a group in the midwest or areas where the count is low to infect a wide group of people and set off infection exponentially due to how highly infectious this is. I think it only takes weeks to see the results, compare numbers to other areas already infected and realize what lies ahead.

Another chart for us to ponder. This one shows cumulative deaths per million inhabitants.

ETjJX8_XgAATggM.jpg

Apparently the US is not so far along in its experience curve, still less than 1 death per million. Hubei Province is a good benchmark around 50 death per million. Italy has already blown past this. Many other European countries look exceed the Hubei death rate. An older age distribution can contribute to this. But an overwhelmed health care system is also a huge risk for accelerating cumulative deaths.

So where is the US? I think we are early enough in our experience curve that we really don't know how this will impact us sociologically. The deaths will easily grow 10X in about a week (I'm not trying to make a precise forecast here.) How will we process this when deaths are up ten-fold. The pandemic is just now starting to feel "real" for many Americans. We are just barely waking up from our collective denial. But as the deaths rise, perceptions of the pandemic will change.

TMCers like to poke fun at legacy automakers and the oil industry for how easily they dismiss the EV disruption simply because EVs have been such a small fraction of total automobiles. It is easy for them to shake off worries and indulge in denialist fantasies while the scale of EVs are trivially small. But the fleet of EVs continue to grow exponentially (even when there is slow growth y/y in new EVs sold). But year after year, the EV fleet is growing and reaching new scale. But eventually, EVs reach critical scales where denial is no longer an option. On the pro-EV side we like to think we are immune to this sort of denial of disruption that we see so clearly in our competitors. But sadly, when a pandemic is disrupting our own expectations for Tesla, it is easy for us to fall into the same denial trap.

So take a deep breath and tell yourself, "I see this disruption. I accept that my life will be disrupted."

Edit, the creator of this chart said that not all countries have updated their stats. So some of the sideways movement on the last day (for example, see Italy) is probably just a reporting lag, not a real flatting out of death rates.

FWIW to anyone with asthma that gets this covid19 crap, I am at day 11 and struggling to avoid ER.

My wife made a garlic salve that is rubbed into my chest and back so from both sides of lungs and have noticed it really helps improve things for a while, just have to keep up regular application I guess as it seems to weirdly enough be just as helpful or more as all my asthma medications, application is supposed to be every 4hrs but I have only used it maybe 2x daily, and not everyday but do notice the difference for a few hours after used, so I will have to get better about applying it. Get an old shirt to wear after it is applied, takes 15min to soak into the skin. Slightly repulsive, smells delicious, but seemingly works.

8 cloves garlic
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
blend smooth in blender and stored in fridge for up to 2 weeks

survive

Rather than invest in face mask production for the entire nation, the trump sociopath has decided to give the the airlines 50B to cover their stock buybacks in 2019.

That should do wonders to tap down the epidemic

C'mon, there you go again with childish name calling & political rant......as an intelligent Physician I don't understand why you need to communicate that way.

Transportation is an essential industry & important for national security.

You obviously haven't run a company and must lean toward a non-Capitalistic society.

FWIW: when I ran companies, I had 3 constituents to service: clients, employees, investors.

If you follow the airline industry, and particularly as their finances improved from the "Lehman shock", they gave big raises to their employees and were right to reward investors as well.

Now, the third one, clients: only Delta has done a decent job there.....AA & UA, the pits, Jet Blue OK as well.

FWIW to anyone with asthma that gets this covid19 crap, I am at day 11 and struggling to avoid ER.

My wife made a garlic salve that is rubbed into my chest and back so from both sides of lungs and have noticed it really helps improve things for a while, just have to keep up regular application I guess as it seems to weirdly enough be just as helpful or more as all my asthma medications, application is supposed to be every 4hrs but I have only used it maybe 2x daily, and not everyday but do notice the difference for a few hours after used, so I will have to get better about applying it. Get an old shirt to wear after it is applied, takes 15min to soak into the skin. Slightly repulsive, smells delicious, but seemingly works.

8 cloves garlic
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons olive oil

survive
You can probably put the extra on bread too. ;) Hang in there. I'm fighting something off myself. I have allergy induced asthma so normally not a problem but we will see.

8 cloves garlic
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons olive oil

survive

Stay well....best pathway is to avoid the hospital but if you turn for worse don't hesitate to go.

I think I've figured Musk's perspective out. It's one he has rarely taken, but it makes sense.

Financially, Tesla has just turned the corner, arguably in the last 6 months, to profitability.

Just my 0.02, but his arguments now sound like a traditional CEO trying to protect his brand and the value of the company, reality be damned.

I see Musk understanding that the automotive industry is critical to the economy of localities, States and this Nation. Just ask Germany and that was before C19 arrived on the scene. As a nation and locally I do see it as being a vital component of supplying jobs and also income to the States/municipalities to pay for programs. Something has to pay for all these costs going forward and let’s face it the Gov’t has cut back money to states now for years on everything from education on.

I will say I was surprised that the same precautions (ie masks) that we’ve seen implemented in GigaChina and GigaNevada haven’t looked to be in place in the Factory. Guessing because of no masks to be found to distribute and no help from Gov’t on that front unlike what GigaChina got from the Chinese government.

Last edited:
Caution: Pre-publication and not peer reviewed yet. Also seems to conflict with other studies so take it with a grain of salt.

With that out of the way, an analysis of Wuhan City data from Jan-Feb 2020 concludes that COVID-19 infection reproduction ratio is much higher than other studies (R0 of up to 5.2 without interventions) and that fatality rate is much lower (0.12 time-delay adjusted infection fatality rate (IFR))

Results: Our posterior estimates of basic reproduction number (R) in Wuhan City, China in 2019–2020 reached values as high as 5.20 (95%CrI: 5.04–5.47) and the enhanced public health intervention after January 23rd in 2020 was associated with a declined R at 0.58 (95%CrI: 0.51–0.64), with the total number of infections (i.e. cumulative infections) estimated at 1905526 (95%CrI: 1350283– 2655936) in Wuhan City, raising the proportion of infected individuals to 19.1% (95%CrI: 13.5–26.6%). We also found that most recent crude infection fatality ratio (IFR) and time–delay adjusted IFR is estimated to be 0.04% (95% CrI: 0.03%–0.06%) and 0.12% (95%CrI: 0.08–0.17%), which is several orders of magnitude smaller than the crude CFR estimated at 4.19%

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v2.full.pdf
Haven't had time to pick apart the methods/analysis yet.

Very interesting. Perhaps this is just my confirmation bias talking, but that's how the disease has been "feeling" for a while - higher R0 (but R able to be effectively lowered by control policies, such as in China and South Korea), and a low IFR, with the CFR being misleadingly high due to how small a percentage of cases have been caught by testing.