Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
This actually links to an article about corona virus conference being cancelled by corona virus - not sure why it had that title?

However, I'm already registered for a cv webinar next week.

Here's the scariest thing for me lately - the CDC (which had failed on so many levels) just announced that they are changing their recommendations for medical providers to use surgical masks instead of N95 BECAUSE THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF MASKS

Don't provide the best protection for the only people who have a hope of helping the sick????:mad::mad::(

Vaccine soon - no, but I am anxiously awaiting results of possible treatment from drugs from Gilead and others - have no idea how long the studies will take (but read last night that the US gov is charging Gilead for sending the meds to China(where they may have saved some lives) b/c they didn't have prior approval!!!)

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
I am just going to repeat the same message.

Why is it spreading slower in asian countries. What were the habits that they adapted right away? But no scientific double blind test to prove it.

Wear mask
Wash hands
Social distancing.

To verify this, watch outcome of countries that have very warm and touchy feely interactions vs those who just waves and keep a large personal space.

Countries that masked up right away vs thos that didn't.

At this point in time, since what has always been done isn't working. Why not try something else.

Bow instead of shaking hands. ;)

Ummmmmm, congratulations?

I'm not usually competitive but I was on the Grand Princess when it went to Mexico from Feb 11 - 21. Pretty sure I had it the first week of March. Soooooo Yea me?

But seriously I hope you and your wife are OK.

Very sorry to hear you had what must have been an unpleasant experience post-cruise. I suspect I am articulating a general interest but I would be interested to hear if you noticed anything unusual related to sickness on the cruise and the general course of the illness you had that you think was the main subject of this thread.

And if I could be so forward if any of your contacts have a sickness now you should relay the possibility and encourage them to get tested due to the possible transmission chain. World will be much better off the more mitigation can be done.

Hi I’m a veterinarian so I have a lot of knowledge concerning the rabies virus. Rabies is unique in that it travels along the nerves. Most respires viruses (probably corona) are airborne and are first acquired in the lymph nodes in the respiratory system where they quickly replicate and very rapidly spread through the body. If you were to give a flu vaccine on the same day as. Being exposed to the flu the virus would be all over the body before your immune system had time to develop antibodies

Rabies travels via the nerves and it travels by reproducing and slowly expanding along the nerves as opposed to traveling the super highway of the blood stream. A person bit in the foot could incubate Rabies for 6 months. That’s how long it would take the virus to wander along the nerves to finally get to the brain. If after a bite you give rabies antiserum and rabies vaccine the vaccine circulated in the blood and causes the body to make anti body’s months before the virus hits the brain. That’s why the Pasteur treatment works and why giving a flu shot at the same time you’re exposed to the flu doesnt

True. Of course, it's not just rabies; varicella and herpes zoster vaccines are also given post-exposure, and there are probably others as well.

You're right that it probably would not be useful for things like coronavirus, because you're sick so quickly after infection (and, of course, because there is no vaccine). But the point still remains that a number of vaccines are used post-exposure, i.e. you can't make a blanket statement that vaccines don't work that way. :)

Also, even with respiratory infections, receiving plasma from someone recently infected can often reduce the severity of illness, which is an awful lot like a post-exposure vaccine, but not quite.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
Why is it spreading slower in asian countries..

It's not (other than in SK where it is obvious why it has improved - massive testing and social distancing). Other than Japan - and there is debate about why that is. We're 11.5 days behind Italy. We need to act fast.

Here's the Twitter thread I got this from - worth a read:

Thread by @JeremyKonyndyk: I have been highly critical of the administration's COVID19 response, and with sound reason - they have left us perilously unprepared. But a…

"Unifying idea everywhere is you have to trigger measures that seem too extreme for the current circumstances. Far easier to overreact and dial back than to underreact and have to catch up. Catching up becomes disproportionately harder the longer you wait."

ESs3z6PWkAYYYy6.png

He specifically said it doesn't include cargo.

"These prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom," Trump added."
Please read what you quoted. Here's my interpretation (but who the heck knows for sure, right?):

Travel ban applies to cargo AND to various other things (whatever that could be).
[Applies to] "anything coming from Europe."
Does not apply to the UK.

Of all the weirdly structured travel bans, this one has to be the weirdest.

@AlanSubie4Life responded below with Trump's clarification--the ban does not include cargo. My apologies.

Last edited:
Please read what you quoted. Here's my interpretation (but who the heck knows for sure, right?):

Travel ban applies to cargo AND to various other things (whatever that could be).
[Applies to] "anything coming from Europe."
Does not apply to the UK.

Of all the weirdly structured travel bans, this one has to be the weirdest.

He misspoke.

LiveSquawk on Twitter

Bow instead of shaking hands. ;)

the one time I flew to germany for vacation - early 2000 timeframe - I wanted to buy some electronic gear and take it home with me. I had a friend do the language translation for me (I don't speak much german) and at the end of the sale, I went to shake the guy's hand. he did respond back. later in the car, my friend told me that 'we dont do that as much as you americans do'. anyone confirm that, if its just less often (handshakes) in germany?

germany has a low count, for europe. italy has a high count and their culture is very physical oriented.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
149 companies are now listed in the stayinghome club up from 107 when I checked this morning.

Most are encouraging or requiring WFH where possible. Basically a who's who of tech although a few have geographic limitations. At least some companies are being responsible even if federal, state and local governments aren't.

Professional services seems to be lagging badly -- for example only 1 major law firm I have seen so far has publicly announced a strong WFH policy (!)

Who’s staying home because of COVID-19?

Reactions: EVNow
149 companies are now listed in the stayinghome club up from 107 when I checked this morning.

Most are encouraging or requiring WFH where possible. Basically a who's who of tech although a few have geographic limitations.

Professional services seems to be lagging badly -- for example only 1 major law firm I have seen so far has publicly announced a strong WFH policy (!)

Who’s staying home because of COVID-19?
Many underreported. My firm is not listed. We have mandatory remote work for 50/50 (turn by turn) population and working remote is totally optional for all..

Reactions: EinSV
I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

Sorry for you guys. Hope it stays relatively mild and you both recover soon.

'From February 1 to 14, 2020, among all the 73 SARS-CoV-2-infected hospitalized patients, 39 (53.42%) including 25 males and 14 females tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 RNA in stool as shown in Supplementary Table 1. The age of patients with positive SARS-CoV-2 RNA in stool ranged from 10 months to 78 years old. Duration time of positive stool ranged from 1 to 12 days. Furthermore, 17 (23.29%) patients remained positive in stool after showing negative in respiratory samples'

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(20)30282-1/fulltext

Ok, but if you go to the ER, they will most likely swab your throat/nose, not your ass....

Many underreported. My firm is not listed. We have mandatory remote work for 50/50 (turn by turn) population and working remote is totally optional for all..

Yes, I'm sure the list is not complete or 100% up-to-date. Plus this particular list is tech-focused (I haven't seen a broader one yet).

But I know people who have been getting pressured to show up at the office for work that is done 100% on a computer, which is just nuts.

Out of curiosity what does "turn by turn" mean?

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33